The Milestone Restaurant - your opinions.

£2.30 a pint is pretty good, I'd say. It is cheaper than my local and plenty of pubs in town.

£2.30 a pint is pretty good, I'd say. It is cheaper than my local and plenty of pubs in town.

£2.30 is more than reasonable.

I live round the corner from the Milestone and although it maintains its prices, it's well worth every penny. The atmosphere is lovely, a unique gem in the city which provides excellent food, service and amazing cocktails!!

Thursday night is 2 for 1 cocktail night and they are all amazing....

Such a shame you had a bad experience there, it is most unusual from my experience and weekly trip there since it opened.

T4Tiff

Agree absolutely with this. I was introduced to it by a friend about 2yrs ago and it is by far my favourite place to spend an evening in Sheffield. I've never had a bad experience there ever. Was last there last Monday (a week ago today) had food and cocktails downstairs with friends and enjoyed it as always. Agree it is not cheap (I don't drink beer but do agree that £5-7 for a cocktail is pricey) but you get what you pay for.

I really like the Milestone but have heard it can be hit and miss as far as the food is concerned. I've eaten downstairs plenty of times and tbh it's always been pretty good. I once ventured upstairs and left feeling empty, both in terms of stomach and wallet!

Completely agree with Ian123. I went last week for the early bird menu and the Venison Heart on toast was brilliant. The Gurnard main course was great too.

However, the restaurant upstairs is very poor value for money. They serve terrible portion sizes and veg is an optional cost extra (same as downstairs, mind), which is obscene.

I find choosing very carefully is a must at the Milestone. I've also heard about others going for the Pork on the Christmas menu and serving it for too overdone.

They're pricing at a premium and for the moment (cocktails are priced are market rates to be fair), it's always packed to the rafters.

Edited by swissheavy

I live round the corner from the Milestone and although it maintains its prices, it's well worth every penny. The atmosphere is lovely, a unique gem in the city which provides excellent food, service and amazing cocktails!!

Thursday night is 2 for 1 cocktail night and they are all amazing....

Such a shame you had a bad experience there, it is most unusual from my experience and weekly trip there since it opened.

T4Tiff

I seriously send this, couldn't recommend it enough - love this place! x

Ok - thinking of going here soon. Should we eat upstairs or downstairs? Any recommendations? We would be going mid-week - will it still have a decent atmosphere?

Cheers

Ok - thinking of going here soon. Should we eat upstairs or downstairs? Any recommendations? We would be going mid-week - will it still have a decent atmosphere?

Cheers

Have you looked at the website http://www.the-milestone.co.uk ? It has the menus on for downstairs (gastropub) and upstairs (fine dining) which will give you an idea of what the food is like in each and also cost. If you plan to eat upstairs expect around £40-50 a head inc drinks, but downstairs is cheaper. I've always found the atmosphere great including midweek -it's not chaotic and loud like somewhere on West St but pleasantly buzzy.

Downstairs! It's pretty much the same atmosphere mid-week also. It'll perhaps be a touch quieter in January, but only just!

Get in for the early bird menu before 7 and you're onto a winner (2 course and one glass of wine or a pint of local beer for £12).

PLEASE let us know how it went for you!

Edited by swissheavy

It's a birthday treat so I'm willing to splash out a bit.... but only if it's worth it. I do enjoy fine dining but the reviews on here suggest it isn't quite up to scratch... or is it simply that it is good, but just not as good value as the downstairs menu?

Yeah the upstairs menu represents very poor value for money. The extra premium basically buys you a table upstairs in a very airy loft which I don't think has the atmosphere of downstairs. Plus smaller portions.

I'd rather go to Artisan for the same kinda premium or stay downstairs at the Milestone.