Salt Bins & Road Gritting In Sheffield

You could have followed it round Makro car park.:loopy:

it was a private gritter, why cant you grasp it :loopy:

Gritter just pass my house. Think doing a very good job getting the roads cleard, just hope the bus service knows the road have been gritted again, not like today when it had been gritted and still dint go up this end much.

Anyone else seen gritters just out ploughing spreading zero grit?

I live on quite a small road in S5 but a gritter just passed my house. Yay go gritters!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I live on quite a small road in S5 but a gritter just passed my house. Yay go gritters!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

well arnt you the lucky one .:rolleyes:

It's always going to be critisized that the gritters arent doing enough, I've not been able to get my car out for 2 days and have been walking from 7am to work just to please my employers as the option to stay home is not an option no matter how treacherous the roads. I live near Upperthorpe baths with some of the steepest roads in Sheffield near here and in walkley and non of these are treated. The Street Force parking enforcement team love this because they can ticket all the sensible drivers who can't get up their untreated roads and make some money out of their misery. On South Road before the big snowfall when the roads were sheet ice they did about 15 cars on South Road. If anyone knows walkley, not many people would tackle any of the top roads when icey or snowy. I do wish the gritters could do these routes but in the meantime they are doing their best even if I am still on foot this week. (if you are passing though - feel free to do a few more roads in Upperthorpe - especially the poor sods on Blake Street who really have something to moan about!)

. I do wish the gritters could do these routes but in the meantime they are doing their best even if I am still on foot this week. (if you are passing though - feel free to do a few more roads in Upperthorpe - especially the poor sods on Blake Street who really have something to moan about!)

With respect the gritters can only do so many side roads and they must keep the main roads open , I do agree about places like Upperthorpe & Walkley and im sure they might get round to doing some of the side roads there , as for Blake Street they should have a grit bin on that road been its the steepist in Sheffield :D

It's always going to be critisized that the gritters arent doing enough, I've not been able to get my car out for 2 days and have been walking from 7am to work just to please my employers as the option to stay home is not an option no matter how treacherous the roads. I live near Upperthorpe baths with some of the steepest roads in Sheffield near here and in walkley and non of these are treated. The Street Force parking enforcement team love this because they can ticket all the sensible drivers who can't get up their untreated roads and make some money out of their misery. On South Road before the big snowfall when the roads were sheet ice they did about 15 cars on South Road. If anyone knows walkley, not many people would tackle any of the top roads when icey or snowy. I do wish the gritters could do these routes but in the meantime they are doing their best even if I am still on foot this week. (if you are passing though - feel free to do a few more roads in Upperthorpe - especially the poor sods on Blake Street who really have something to moan about!)

if you know the people that live on top of blake street,could you ask them when its got snow on it to put their cars on one side of the road and i will get through i know they might have to walk a extra 10 yards to get to their house but it will be worth it in the end,and its not just now and then its every night,:roll:

I've had a brain wave this morning which if I had the time and energy I'd follow up on. It's something like this:

- special dispensation for buses to tow a small trailer when it's wintry

- design/build a number of small trailers (about the size of one of those pneumatic compressors used at road works) with a GPS unit linked to a mobile phone device, a hopper for grit, and an electrically-operated spreading mechanism

- design appropriate software

- set up control room

- when it's cold, simply send out the big ploughs to clear the roads, then a certain number of buses with these trailers could run their routes, the control room automatically or manually working out where they are at any time and how long since that road was last gritted. If it needs gritting, activate the spreader.

Not only are the buses kept running (and hence people can get to work etc), but additionally gritting is done that the number of gritters (despite their best efforts) simply couldn't hope to keep up with. All possible from a technology viewpoint I bet.

Killing many birds with one stone?

Am I a genius?

I've had a brain wave this morning which if I had the time and energy I'd follow up on. It's something like this:

- special dispensation for buses to tow a small trailer when it's wintry

- design/build a number of small trailers (about the size of one of those pneumatic compressors used at road works) with a GPS unit linked to a mobile phone device, a hopper for grit, and an electrically-operated spreading mechanism

- design appropriate software

- set up control room

- when it's cold, simply send out the big ploughs to clear the roads, then a certain number of buses with these trailers could run their routes, the control room automatically or manually working out where they are at any time and how long since that road was last gritted. If it needs gritting, activate the spreader.

Not only are the buses kept running (and hence people can get to work etc), but additionally gritting is done that the number of gritters (despite their best efforts) simply couldn't hope to keep up with. All possible from a technology viewpoint I bet.

Killing many birds with one stone?

Am I a genius?

no your not :D

:P You've put a dampener on my day now! ;) I was feeling all chuffed with myself.

:P You've put a dampener on my day now! ;) I was feeling all chuffed with myself.

only pulling yer leg :D