Salt Bins & Road Gritting In Sheffield

Roads in Walkley still very bad - always are - been all over Sheffield over last few days and nothing compares....I guess we should shut up and put up.....after all it is one of the nicest areas to live!! Spent over 30 years in Walkley and if what its like in the bad weather is the only downside then its a small price to pay!!

Well walked by stocksbridge grit bins one on the small road down from Kenworthy and the one at the end of kenworthy and one of them has been tipped up...and the other is empty...

:( Its treacherous on my dads path and theres no way to grit the drive so my dad can get his car out.

He could buy a small bag of grit from a local supplier and grit his drive?

The grit bins are for the roads and not private drives surely?

I thought the grit bins were there for the public use ... my mums always used grit to make her path safer. Gritters go around all the roads up here...

He could buy a small bag of grit from a local supplier and grit his drive?

The grit bins are for the roads and not private drives surely?

yep the grit in the bins is for the public highway and NOT your driveways and paths. Its the people who pinch it for personal use who spoil it for the rest of us getting out of the estate roads

Jeez so what about people who cant afford to buy it....

"Anyone may use a grit bin. Typically, a spade or shovel is used to spread a thin layer of grit onto the road surface, covering any snow or ice. The salt lowers the melting point of the snow causing it to melt (see sodium chloride). The grit component improves the friction between a vehicle's tires and the road"

ANYONE may use a grit bin.

"Anyone may use a grit bin. Typically, a spade or shovel is used to spread a thin layer of grit onto the road surface, covering any snow or ice. The salt lowers the melting point of the snow causing it to melt (see sodium chloride). The grit component improves the friction between a vehicle's tires and the road"

my bold,

yeah to grit the ROAD not your drives

and if they can afford to have a car £5 for a bag of grit salt is hardly going to break the bank!

Firstly this is not a go at the gritters, and feel they have done all they can in these circustances, when compared to the slow reaction to the snow of last month.

But over the past few weeks i have noticed a lack of gritting on the approach to the Stocksbridge By Pass at Deepcar. On numerous mornings as the majority of the main raods in Stocksbridge have been passable, for some reason the section of road from Station road to by pass does not seemed to have been gritted.

I feel that this might be an oversight on whos responsiblity it is for this section

I believe Barnsley MBC will be responsible for gritting up to the chequerd bridge at Tin Mill, and the Highways Agency for the actual by pass, but dont know if Sheffield MBC should be responsible for this section.

I believe an accident took place down there on Tuesday, and since the middle of December i have noticed how slippy this section of road is in the mornings (with often only 2 tracks on which to follow), with further danger posed to motorists who use this busy access.

I have written to Street Force, before Christmas, about this but have yet to recieve any response, and the problem remains, so i hope Sheffield Forum might action something.

We have had lying snow up here since the middle of December, so it can be different circustances to the rest of Sheffield, and i feel this is just another accident in the making given the sharp bend and incline of this access road which could easily be avoided if this route was gritted.

Firstly this is not a go at the gritters, and feel they have done all they can in these circustances, when compared to the slow reaction to the snow of last month.

But over the past few weeks i have noticed a lack of gritting on the approach to the Stocksbridge By Pass at Deepcar. On numerous mornings as the majority of the main raods in Stocksbridge have been passable, for some reason the section of road from Station road to by pass does not seemed to have been gritted.

I have written to Street Force, before Christmas, about this but have yet to recieve any response, and the problem remains, so i hope Sheffield Forum might action something.

The direct line for Olive Grove ( Streetforce ) Customer Services is 2736525, give them a ring and just explain the situation :D

They can afford a car, but not a kilo of grit? It's dirt cheap - being dirt.

Road, not driveway.

They can afford a car, but not a kilo of grit? It's dirt cheap - being dirt.

Road, not driveway.

I beat ya to it hotphil (see post #356) :headbang:

It was best in the 50s & 60s when we all had coal fires, we just spread the ashes on the pavements and roads and everybody got around ok.

It was even good enough to stop a sledge going onto Langsett road from Burgoyne road (well most of the time):hihi: