How many senses have we got?

Originally posted by Longcol

A fair few forum posters appear to have an extra sense;

nonsense:hihi:

It has been said that my ONLY sense is nonsense :)

Woah, steady on! According to the philosophy of Rudolph steiner, it would appear that we have 12 senses, that include things that we fully take for granted like balance, temperature, ego. Want me to go on?

I've seen it all now- philosophy from Hoyland!

Mind you, 'appen next we'll get folk from Dodworth wanting to discuss logical positivism and the tracky bus timetable.

I 'appen to live in Oyland 'cos I found a nice big 'ouse for not much dosh. Sold a flat in London, ker-ching and bought outright. Luverly. Four bed, two bath, big garden, lots o' space. 'Appen.

I have previously lived in Paris (8 yrs), London (10 yrs) and a bit of everywhere for a year whilst travelling, so yes I am not your typical 'Oyland. They tend to stick to the same street round here, moving up to three and four times in a life time.

Originally posted by lizzmobile

Woah, steady on! According to the philosophy of Rudolph steiner, it would appear that we have 12 senses, that include things that we fully take for granted like balance, temperature, ego. Want me to go on?

fascinating book it is too

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1869890752/103-8296294-4238265?v=glance&n=283155

Originally posted by lizzmobile

Depending upon who/what you believe human beings could have as many as 21 senses and there are other senses which humans do not have but other species (such as types of fish, birds and bats) do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senses

I think there are a number of senses we feel.... fear,hatred,love,touch,smell,illness,taste,Gas shortages :D ,emotion,dependancy.... I could go on.

That is what makes us Human.

The main sense of course and which is often lacking in todays society is ..common :D

Originally posted by youwhatref

The main sense of course and which is often lacking in todays society is ..common :D

Forgot that one.... well said. :D

Originally posted by spiffymonkey

Oh, I see. I know what you mean now; it has happened to me before. I have dreamed of a place then, some time later (weeks, months or years) I go there. However, I just put it down to similarity. The brain has an amazing capacity for matching things together - maybe the place I am in has just enough similarity to the place or situtation I dreamed to make the connection.

As an example, look at these characters:

:

-

)

Just punctuation. If I put them in a line:

: - )

they look like a smiling face. Why? Because they are 'just similar enough' to a real face for your brain to make out the pattern.

could you explain this to me then,please? a few weeks ago i got on supertram with my son,on the way to town i just said out of the blue,im going to see a lady today named xxx

he asked what i meant, i said it was just a thought i had, sure enough while walking towards the market i bumped into the lady,i hadnt seen her for 15 or 16 years :suspect: to add more mystery to it,we had been in argos and were making our way home when my son remembered he needed something else from argos, by turning round and going back thats when i met her.

Originally posted by depoix

could you explain this to me then,please? a few weeks ago i got on supertram with my son,on the way to town i just said out of the blue,im going to see a lady today named xxx

he asked what i meant, i said it was just a thought i had, sure enough while walking towards the market i bumped into the lady,i hadnt seen her for 15 or 16 years :suspect: to add more mystery to it,we had been in argos and were making our way home when my son remembered he needed something else from argos, by turning round and going back thats when i met her.

It is highly probable that something very improbable will happen to you at some point in your life.

Either that or you had seen her already, but only registered her in your subconscience.

Either that or you can predict the future.

Originally posted by Jake01

I think there are a number of senses we feel.... fear,hatred,love,touch,smell,illness,taste,Gas shortages :D ,emotion,dependancy.... I could go on.

That is what makes us Human.

But most of those aren't, strictly speaking, senses; some of them are emotions.

I think when most people talk about senses, they're refering to the special senses of taste, hearing etc - the means by which we 'sense' the external environment. Taken a step further, you can talk about perception, which takes into account how subjective experience can modify or colour external sensation.

Some argue for a sixth sense: psi, which encompasses precognition, telekinesis etc; parapsychological phenomena which can be scientifically investigated. Edinburgh university's Psychology department used to be into investigating this. Not sure if they still are though.