Old dancing schools

I started at the age of 4 (1962) at Minnie Marsdens in Grenoside-she held her classes in the Scout Hut at the bottiom of Salt Box Lane.

I then went to Collinsons Dancing School (1969) and was taught by Gladys Cooper and when she left by John Collins-who also had a Bakery at Broomhill and lived at Hollowmeadows.

I would love to hear from anybody who went to any of those places.

Pauline Preston nee Slack

anyone remember FAIRDIVISO ON BARNSLEY RD It was next to the Limes club opposite the end of Norwood rd. Run by Miss Fairbothom and Miss Davison?

I also went to this school early 60's. I knew her as Ninette Daviso.

I was about 12/13. I went for a year and found that I was not as supple as I thought. I found it hard even though I had danced when small, so I left

I'm Gloria Nixon (nee Atkin), I attended Marjorie Fields aged 8 for 7 years (1943) to (1950). 'The 3 of us ' as we were called, Margaret Lashley, Brenda Jones and myself were always danced together. If anybody recalls those days, please get in touch.

I remember Brenda and two other girls who were always in the class above me. I seem to remember that Brnda also taught me a little ballroom occasionally. I guess I must have left about 1956 after 15 years training there

glad some other people remember brenda rigbys school of dance, this was my first dance school back in the 1980s.she was by far the strictest dance teacher i had.does anyone know what happened to her and what year she stopped teaching?can't find anything on the web.thanks.

Edited by tiger lily
spelling mistake

peaky, oldiegirl, johnpm (of course), I am the relative johnpm mentioned. I am the grandson of Ninette Daviso's brother, Armando. There is also a thread named "Ninette Daviso School of Dancing" where stunmon posted details of Ninette's partner, Zena Fayre. My aunt had often spoken of Zena but could remember her last name. I have indirect evidence that Ninette's mother Elizabeth Donald was a Tiller Girl, so dancing may have been in her blood.

I started off at Thelma Saynors on Abbey LANE at 2yrs old, then went to Thomson twins, then Gwen Wilkins, this was from 1941 to 1956. I was one of the ones to be chosen from all Sheffield Dance schools to be in a show called Starlets of Steelopalis,which toured North of england. Was also in Babes in the Wood pantomime, in London,we had lessons in the afternoon and 4 dance classes a day until showtime,my Mum had to go with me. We wore little grey dresses and red cloaks,I loved it,but was also in a gymnastic team so it seemed to be all work and no play

I did ballet and tap at Irene Turnell's dancing school off Marlcliffe Road when I was little then later ballroom dancing at the Lomas hall at Stannington but I don't remember the teacher's name.

does anyone remember Frank WRITES ballroom class on Chesterfield road ,i went there and my partner and I used to do demonstration dances at Tyzacks parties

Was it Connie Grant that was at Psalter lane, in the late forties, l went there at 3 years old but left at 4 cos school and late nights 5 ish did not mix.

She was there in the late 50s for sure. Went a couple of times but didn't have the staying power.

She was there in the late 50s for sure. Went a couple of times but didn't have the staying power.

She was there in late 40 s I went from about 1950 my Mum used to play the piano for her.

anyone remember FAIRDIVISO ON BARNSLEY RD It was next to the Limes club opposite the end of Norwood rd. Run by Miss Fairbothom and Miss Davison?

Fayre Daviso dancing school at 260 Barnsley Rd was run by Zena Fairbotham & Ninette (Netta) Daviso. Both were professional dancers. At some time Netta was a Tiller Girl.I was there from 1942 to 1952 when I left to become a Tiller Girl. Several pupils from that era became professional dancers. When the school split 260 Barnsley Rd became Ninette Daviso school of dancing. Netta died about 1979. After Zena, who had moved to Filey, died about 1989/90 a few former pupils got together. We call ourselves the 260 Club, & still meet about twice a year for lunch & a natter.

PamH

Fayre Daviso dancing school at 260 Barnsley Rd was run by Zena Fairbotham & Ninette (Netta) Daviso. Both were professional dancers. At some time Netta was a Tiller Girl.I was there from 1942 to 1952 when I left to become a Tiller Girl. Several pupils from that era became professional dancers. When the school split 260 Barnsley Rd became Ninette Daviso school of dancing. Netta died about 1979. After Zena, who had moved to Filey, died about 1989/90 a few former pupils got together. We call ourselves the 260 Club, & still meet about twice a year for lunch & a natter.

PamH

I have had a look at death records & Ninette died at Sheffield Sept qtr 1979 & had an estimated year of birth of 1908.

I will always have fond memories of my times learning to dance at her school in the 1950's.