Old dancing schools

TWhits, Still no bells a ringing mate. Sorry for your loss!

Thanks. Not to worry. I hope you find a friend from this aspect of your life.

Alf Gold's dancing school was on an upper floor of St Paul's Parade, now converted to apartments. We used to go on the pull and never really treat it seriously.

Hi crookesey,i also used to go there in the sixtys when it was 2/6 to get in and we had some good times in there; I had a short fling with a lovely looking girl

that i met there,the daughter of a well known sheffield building contractor:love:

Hi crookesey,i also used to go there in the sixtys when it was 2/6 to get in and we had some good times in there; I had a short fling with a lovely looking girl

that i met there,the daughter of a well known sheffield building contractor:love:

I used to go there in the 60s as well remember that sloping ceiling when you had to bend your knees. My friend and I used to walk back to pond street with our stilettos in our hands and blisters on our feet what a laugh. :hihi:

My sister-in-law Maureen Fields taught dancing and worked for Marjorie Fields in the mid 50s. Sadly Maureen passed away in 1962 age 32yrs.

My younger years were spent at Joan Collins dance school at Commonside and Freedom Road Walkley. Meet my husband at Collinsons dance school, it was a Weston Road school reunion 1958.

Those were the days my friends. Celt

I remember when this was a dance school. Does anybody remember when it was a school?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/249/saveascommon.jpg/

Also, was this palace anything to do with the school?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/407/oldhousen.jpg/

Any pupils of Constance Grants O.T. Formation team (Come Dancing T.V.) early to mid fifties Stan Grundy teacher.

Love to have a chat

Brian Jordan

Does Frank Quail and his wife Renee ring a bell? He is still dancing three times a week at 88. I am married to his youngest daughter, Judith.

Does Frank Quail and his wife Renee ring a bell? He is still dancing three times a week at 88. I am married to his youngest daughter, Judith.

My Dad, Ron Levers, albeit not in the formation team; used to go around this time too.:)

My gran and grandad were in Connie Grants O.T. formation team around that time. Beber and Bygate

My sister went to Alfred Golds in the early 1950's

Collinson's Havelock Square,

Les Collinson was my schoolteacher at Parson Cross and Chaucer Schools, when I left school I went to his dancing school in Havelock Square which he then ran with his wife and dancing teachers. Much later on in life I bumped into him in Sheffield and he recognised me imediately. Les Collinson to me was a total and utter gentleman he was good at his chosen profession teaching.

I remember Les Collinson at Chaucer. When the school first opened both he and his wife used to teach dancing to third and fourth years for the leaving parties . Likewise . I met him in Barkers pool one day , after I had left school, he recognised me imediately . You are so right - a thorough going gentleman.

From my family history researches I believe my mother may have attended a dancing school, or at least dance classes taught by Constance (Connie) Grant. This would probably have been between 1923 and 1928. I am unsure of these dates and whether her teacher was indeed Connie Grant. My mother was born in 1915 and lived in St. Barnabas Road until she left Sheffield in the early 1930s. I am sure she went to dance classes while in Sheffield.

My mother spoke of Connie Grant on numerous occasions and I believe Connie may have been a judge on BBC 'Come Dancing' and possibly have trained formation teams appearing on the show.

My mother tried to teach me ballroom dancing and was spectacularly unsuccessful. It seems I have two left feet when it comes to dancing. However, her hopes and aspirations were realised in my sister, who went on from dance classes to become a professional dancer and enjoy a stage career.

I realise my mother's dance classes took place some 90+ years ago now, but if anyone is able to add, confirm, or correct the information I hold I would be very pleased to hear from them.

I think the Constance Grant school of dancing was on Glossop road or was it the one on Langsett Road.I know someone will have better information than me but I do remember people going to her classes.