Old dancing schools

Collinson's, Havelock Square, mid 50's.[/quote

My last wife taught at Collinsons..Shirley Chilton She was a bronze silver and gold ballroom dancing nedalist

Edited by pjkay

There was a dancing school on Pitsmoor Road, just before the turning into Rutlland Road, I used to deliver the 'Star' there. I'd listen sometimes because on a couple of occasions the teacher was playing a recording of 'Hello Central, Give me Doctor Jazz' by Jellyroll Morton's Red Hot Peppers. The pupils would tap to it. Their time was terrible I remember. Incidentely, I liked jazz and girls.

I think you will find it was called Marina school of dancing.Maureen was her name ,avery slim,lady with long black hair,it was next to Teds barbers.

Hold the phone bullerboY, Ted's was on Burngreave Road,more or less opposite the Catholic Church, corner of Melrose Road.

The dancing school opposite to Wilson Tupholmes was run by a Mrs Mciver. The dancing school was run in part of a large,and what must have at one time a very grand,house.All three of my sisters attended the dancing school in the early sixties.

I bet there isn't anyone who remembers The Edith Hirst school of dancing on Abbeydale Road.....? Just below the Abbeydale picture house on the other side of the road!

My wife is now used to go to Edith Hirst in the 50's she was then Sandra Barnes

Collinson's Havelock Square,

Les Collinson was my schoolteacher at Parson Cross and Chaucer Schools, when I left school I went to his dancing school in Havelock Square which he then ran with his wife and dancing teachers. Much later on in life I bumped into him in Sheffield and he recognised me imediately. Les Collinson to me was a total and utter gentleman he was good at his chosen profession teaching.

I used to go to Collinsons on Hanover Square from being four to being fourteen. It was Les's parents, Walter and Kathleen,(I think that was her name) who ran the old time side and Les and his wife who used to do the Modern (as it was called then) I took my first bronze medal for old time in 1953. I went back in 1975 and took my last gold bar for modern in 1975.

Edited by Janber

I used to go to Edith Hursts when I was very small. Much much later I used to teach ballroom and latin at the Court School of Dancing which was in the Abbeydale Ballroom. That was in 1967. Ken ran it with Gene, Linda, Doreen and me as teachers.

I used to go to Edith Hursts when I was very small. Much much later I used to teach ballroom and latin at the Court School of Dancing which was in the Abbeydale Ballroom. That was in 1967. Ken ran it with Gene, Linda, Doreen and me as teachers. I akso went to Marjorie Fields in about 1951 for tap, ballet and acro. I wish the old bones could do the same things now as they did then.

I went to ballroom classes at the Cavendish Ballroom on West Street, upstairs over some shops, in the mid 1950's. Really I would have preferred to learn to bop (jive) but sadly never managed to sort out my two left feet. I still can't dance!

Mike

Wow janber!!! The only other person other than me who went t o Edith Hirst school of dancing. I went for several months before I was involved in an accident (aged 4 1/2), I was getting off the tram outside the Abbeydale cinema, when a car shot round the corner from Sheldon Road (?) and floored me. I was in the Childrens Hospital for almost seven months recovering from my injuries. My friend Hilary was with me. I remember like it was yesterday, yet it is 60 years ago, scary!!!!!!

Did anyone go to gwen wilkings on richmond road i went there 1970-1980