Good news for Sheffield Arena

Yorkshire is big enough for two arenas. Sheffield gets plenty of subsidy so whay cant Leeds?

But Yorkshire isn't big enough for acts to do two dates. Bands will do one or the other, and over time they'll just only go to Leeds because of the airport and hotels and other city centre attractions.

We definately do not need another arena in Yorkshire. Sheff is great for concerts and if Leeds have an arena, then promotors would choose Leeds over Sheff. I love how big artists come to sunny sheff!

I dont think many artists come here anyway most bands I want to see do Manchester, Birmingham etc and by pass Yorkshire altogether, so I definately don't see the point in having another arena.

I dont think many artists come here anyway most bands I want to see do Manchester, Birmingham etc and by pass Yorkshire altogether, so I definately don't see the point in having another arena.

If they're currently missing Yorkshire altogether then maybe that could be the benefit of having one in Leeds?

proper cringe at sheffielders blatant inferiority complex. alchresearch is spot on, bands would rather go to leeds and with good reason too. leeds has been crying out for it for years and will get the arena soon.

i don't see how people can get upset that the 3rd biggest city in the whole of England is getting a half decent music venue. tough.

It looks as though Yorkshire forward have been overruled and common sense has prevailed with regards to the proposed Leeds Arena.

The government has refused to approve the Leeds scheme meaning no public money will be used to fund a rival to Sheffield.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/8300517.stm

I don't fully understand the problem - the acts that play there would still be able to fill Leeds AND Sheffield so how much impact would it have? Leeds, although a short distance away, is still a pig to get to on the train for example and not a real alternative to playing to Sheffield supporters in a Sheffield venue

Leeds, Nottingham, Derby, Leicester, Manchester - should all have an Arena and there should be a proviso that they don't steal acts from each other or influence acts to drop on in favour of the other! That is the tricky part... and until that aspect can be sorted, i think this decision is a good idea!

If they're currently missing Yorkshire altogether then maybe that could be the benefit of having one in Leeds?

Well maybe your right Leeds obviously has something Sheffield doesn't, they have the backing of the Council trying to attract things to Leeds.

No one seems to care in Sheffield its the same with The Academy most of the bands of interest to me go to Leeds or Manchester now why is this?

It must be someones job to attract them to Sheffield Venues they are obviously failing in some way.

sheffield is a very similar distance to manchester as it is to leeds, people don't moan about manchester stealing all the gigs from sheffield? manchester has at least 3 very decent music venues too whereas sheffield only has two. it takes the same time on public transport to get from manchester to sheffield too - plus there is a later service running back from manchester.

sheffield is a very similar distance to manchester as it is to leeds, people don't moan about manchester stealing all the gigs from sheffield? manchester has at least 3 very decent music venues too whereas sheffield only has two. it takes the same time on public transport to get from manchester to sheffield too - plus there is a later service running back from manchester.

Yes they do I just moaned that everyone I am interested in goes to Manchester and not Sheffield it really annoys me that I have to trail accross the Pennines every time I want to see a band. I hate going to Manchester.

It must be someones job to attract them to Sheffield Venues they are obviously failing in some way.

I think that's the whole problem with Sheffield in general. Being an "outsider" now I see the city without the rose tinted specs and I can see it from an outsiders point of view and with a critical eye, especially after living in Manchester and seeing how they do things.

But the problem is people on here just instantly start whinging at me and churn out the old "well if you like it so much, go and live there". Muppets. :rolleyes:

My biggest gripe is that the tourism chiefs biggest selling point of the city is the Peak District. Rather than encouraging people to stay in Sheffield, they're directing them OUT of the city! So why would anyone bother trying to stay in Sheffield, it would make more sense to find a nice B&B in the Peaks and just go to Sheffield for the day. Other cities are close to the Peaks (it's less than an hour to Buxton from Warrington for goodness sake!).