Bands of the sixties in Sheffield

10 minutes ago, kidley said:

I thought it was common  knowledge why he and the fortunes parted company

No idea Pal.

12 minutes ago, Alextopman said:

No idea Pal.

how I heard it at the time of there first hit was, he wanted 60% of there earnings meaning the rest of the group with only 40% between them , I have been told that many times since then the same reason for there departure 

2 hours ago, kidley said:

I thought it was common  knowledge why he and the fortunes parted company

I think he left to form Glen Dale and the Candies.

34 minutes ago, St Petre said:

I think he left to form Glen Dale and the Candies.

that's what he did when he left the fortunes he thought he was the bee's nee's

17 hours ago, Alextopman said:

Glen Dale of the Fortunes used to live on the same road as me.

Was that in Shiregreen Alex?

Just now, St Petre said:

Was that in Shiregreen Alex?

Hazlebarrow Drive Jordanthorpe.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Alextopman said:

Hazlebarrow Drive Jordanthorpe.

Thanks.

Talking of Birmingham bands, anyone remember former Rockin' Berries  member, the excellent impersonator Terry Webster performing on the Sheffield WM clubs?

On 05/04/2023 at 10:42, Roger Cloake said:

In 1970-71 I was with a band based at Sussex Uni., Redhead Yorke. One of my colleagues was a Sheffield lad, Pete Warren (now back in Sheffield after some decades living in Sussex). He was matey with McCloskey's Apocalypse, & they got us a weekend's gigs in Sheffield: 2 pubs, & then City Hall supporting Edgar Broughton & the Pink Fairies. In return we (well, Pete) got them a showcase gig at Sussex Uni. I was there, & have sung the band's praises ever since. The stage antics were something else: besides Mick's fire eating, Ray did a stunt which I've never heard of anybody repeating, perhaps for understandable reasons: hunched over his Strat, which was howling with feedback, he suddenly whipped it off, swung it round his head, & hurled it out over the audience's heads, on a long lead; a roadie planted 30 or 40 feet out in the audience leapt to catch it & hurled it back to Ray. I've never forgotten the image of the Strat flying through  the air screaming as it went, sort of like a wounded bird.

I was at the Pink Fairies/ Edgar Broughton gig . Broughton arrived very late and was very beligerent to the City Hall staff bit of a T*** really . The Pink fairies were miles better

My mates and I mixed with Sheffield band members, attempting to live up to their respective life styles, luckily we failed as the band members drank and drugged themselves to death. To be fair it was nigh on impossible for them to ignore what went hand In hand with their chosen occupation.

1 hour ago, crookesey said:

My mates and I mixed with Sheffield band members, attempting to live up to their respective life styles, luckily we failed as the band members drank and drugged themselves to death. To be fair it was nigh on impossible for them to ignore what went hand In hand with their chosen occupation.

Well we mixed with Cocker , Frank White , Dave Berry and so on , They just drank Stoooonses  or whatever was on offer in the Arbourthorne Hotel , Centre Spot , Birley Hotel , Black Swan etc .

31 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Well we mixed with Cocker , Frank White , Dave Berry and so on , They just drank Stoooonses  or whatever was on offer in the Arbourthorne Hotel , Centre Spot , Birley Hotel , Black Swan etc .

You were obviously a clean living lad, I however liked to think that I was a rebel, but we all know what thought did, don’t we? 😉