Bands of the sixties in Sheffield

1 minute ago, Jim Hardie said:

Yes, it was a Tennants pub.

Cheers Jim, seem to remember another beer called Amber ?

39 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

Wow, Tennants'Queens, long forgot about that brew.

1 hour ago, Ontarian1981 said:

Wow, Tennants'Queens, long forgot about that brew.

Tetleys also did a premium bitter costing a penny or two more. I think it was called Imperial but only a few pubs sold it.

57 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

Tetleys also did a premium bitter costing a penny or two more. I think it was called Imperial but only a few pubs sold it.

I was confused about Imperial, so checked Wiki and it was introduced in 2002, long after my time over yonder,  Apparently, it was specifically brewed to target NE Yorkshire and was named 'Teeside's own  beer'. Maybe that's why it wasn't abundant in Sheffield.

Edited by Ontarian1981

1 hour ago, Ontarian1981 said:

I was confused about Imperial, so checked Wiki and it was introduced in 2002, long after my time over yonder,  Apparently, it was specifically brewed to target NE Yorkshire and was named 'Teeside's own  beer'. Maybe that's why it wasn't abundant in Sheffield.

I thought it was revived in 2002 but can't find any evidence for it being an older brew so I might have got that wrong. We'll get slaughtered for going off topic if we're not careful, lol.

Edit. Someone here claiming to have supped it twenty odd years earlier.

https://www.secretleeds.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2901&sid=ce649dfa775ba176614e6b391884751e&start=80

And this is supposed to date from 1970.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-TETLEY-IMPERIAL-beermat-used-DURHAM-CASTLE-1970/312839704315?hash=item48d6b30efb:g:WngAAOSw0Btb1w0K

Edited by Jim Hardie

3 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

I thought it was revived in 2002 but can't find any evidence for it being an older brew so I might have got that wrong. We'll get slaughtered for going off topic if we're not careful, lol.

Edit. Someone here claiming to have supped it twenty odd years earlier.

https://www.secretleeds.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2901&sid=ce649dfa775ba176614e6b391884751e&start=80

And this is supposed to date from 1970.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-TETLEY-IMPERIAL-beermat-used-DURHAM-CASTLE-1970/312839704315?hash=item48d6b30efb:g:WngAAOSw0Btb1w0K

All very interesting as I had never heard of it before, which is why I looked it up.  Anyway back to the bands part of the thread err...um..... 🎸🎤🎶

On 29/11/2019 at 21:02, Jim Hardie said:

Saw Pat Leslie  about 5 years ago in a pub in Lodgemoor - near the top of Crimicar Lane. She sang well.  Barry Holmes on organ. He's been with the Greycats a while. He used to play piano with 'my' group, The Raiders at St. Columbas ,  Crosspool on a Saturday Night.  We did alternate Saturdays with Vance Arnold and the Avengers alias Joe Cocker.  His group were a lot better than ours.

Brought back many memories.

Having begun running dances to live bands in Grenoside Scout Hut in 1957 I went on to manage Peter York and the Pontiacs, Dean Marshall and the Deputies, singers Johnny Burns, Ronnie Coy, Terry Stuart and Terry Slade, together with pianist Parkin Loy and conjuror David Dixon. Sadly I turned down the opportunity to manage Vance Arnold and the Avengers (Jo Cocker).
Until 1964 I regularly promoted pop concert / dances at the Newton Hall, Chapeltown; Gatty Hall, Ecclesfield; Clifton Hall , Rotherham and booked acts from Cleethorpes Pier to the Floral Hall in Morecombe and from Leeds to Newark and regularly in the City Hall and Cutlers Hall in Sheffield. Happy days!!

Edited by Chris J Perry
Lower to upper case

On 20/08/2010 at 12:35, TeachersPet said:

Would your cousin have mentioned my uncle, Ken Peters at all?

My Uncle was Sandy Wallis the Sax player with the Blue Harmony Boys from Sheffield, any other band members or relatives out there?

Any one on here 

remember a Sheffield band called 'the Daisy's'? 

One of the guitarists was a regular customer when I worked at the 'Disc Jockey' cafe on London Rd.

This would be very late 60's early 1970's. I did see them play in Norfolk park (open air concert) once.

I've tried the usual searches to no avail.

Any of you knowledgeable people on here know anything more about them?

I notice Dave Berry keeps coming up on this thread, Dave would occasionally visit the Disk Jockey Cafe and was always a pure gent. No airs and grace's  and would always talk when I bumped into him. last saw him outside the City hall after watching Heinz, Jess Conrad and a few other (who I can't remember?) who were part of a Rock n Roll revival thing. must have been mid 80's. -  Just remembered we got our picture in't Sheff Star that night, Teddy boys in't audience - LOL.

Tony Christie would come in t' Disc Jockey but he was a little more aloof than Dave. While I'm name dropping I remember serving Polly Brown and the rest of Pickettywitch one day. for a little cafe it sure attracted some of the stars before they went on stage at' City Hall. Happy Daze.

Notice Tennant's 'Queens Ale' getting a mention, boy was that some pint when they reintroduced it in the 80's. still got some (new) beer mats still in't packaging and pride of place goes to a Proper chunky 'Glass' Queen's Ale tankard (Liberated from't Jolly Buffer). Happy Daze in't Jolly Buffer, an't Little Mesters (excellent pint of Mansfield) back in my drinking DAZE.  Hic!

any info on the Daisy's would be appreciated.

Keep safe.

I think you're talking about Dave Robinson mate, he started many bands, Cortinas, Frankenstein and the Monsters, I think The Daisys, but he now plays in a group called Past Masters. They are on Facebook.

6 hours ago, skippy said:

I think you're talking about Dave Robinson mate, he started many bands, Cortinas, Frankenstein and the Monsters, I think The Daisys, but he now plays in a group called Past Masters. They are on Facebook.

Well Skippy you are A SUPER STAR.

Thank you.

Silly me for not spelling Daisy with a Z.

I've checked the 'Past Masters' web site and the old photo on there brings back some memories.

The one who frequented the Disk Jockey was either Dave Robinson or Paul Jarvis (which ever one of them drove a Triumph Spitfire)

& I shall contact Dave through the web site.

Seeing the picture with Spud West brought back a Special Memory of him coming into the Cafe wearing a light green T shirt with a

picture of a Boot & the words 'Cobblers to the World' on it.

To think Back in the 1960's this was quite Shocking - LOL

Once again a 

BIG THANK YOU.

Rocker.