How safe are women out running?

Could this be the beginning of the Sheffield Forum Striders running club where people meet up once or twice weekly and have a run. People from all levels welcome AND COMPLETE safety in numbers!

So, you joining our fledgling SFS Running Club Somnambulist? You can't go making suggestions like that and not join in :hihi:

You're daft being embarrassed - I'm big and I run 4 times a week - I couldn't care less! Just by running you are putting yourself in a very small percentage of the population who could even run a mile. Anyone who says anything is just proving that they are a moron - nothing else!

I once had some kids yelling something at me (not really sure what, I am usually listening to music!) so I stopped and asked if they'd like to join me for a couple of miles and see how they get on? They were strangely quiet ;-)

Anyway - if you do run alone be sensible. Stick to well lit areas, main roads, take a phone with you, tell someone when you're expecting to be back, don't listen to any music so loud that you can't hear traffic/other people, wear high-viz clothing in the dark - and enjoy yourself!

Do you have a dog? Or one you can borrow? My collie-cross comes with me, she absolutely LOVES it and gets quite grumpy when I have an injury or a cold and have to stop for a week or two! She very quickly learned to run alongside me on a lead which goes round my waist - I don't think anyone would attack me with my hound next to me :-)

Happy running x

I run a few times a week and always fancy a woody kinda area when I am alone, but if my running partner isn't with me I wouldn't put myself at risk. I do see women out running alone through the woods but personally I don't think it's safe!

My wife runs daily on her own. She has rarely felt uneasy or bothered by anything, although I do sometimes have a go at her when she has her iPod turned up too loud and can't hear whats going on around her. I think its all down to sensible timing, although the nights will be drawing in soon so if you work all day, that evening day-light running window will be far smaller.

So, you joining our fledgling SFS Running Club Somnambulist? You can't go making suggestions like that and not join in :hihi:

I may just do that Joey if you let me have details.

The more women that were out there running the safer it would be because you would be able to watch out for each other

I have tried running in my area and was successful a few times, but then I was really put off by one incident!

I had always taken my dog with me, a staffordshire bull terrier although she's not mean looking at all, she made me feel safer. And I always went in daylight.

However, I ran near a group of mixed sex youths who decided to shout crude, sexual comments at me. I feel I have to make the point that I wasn't dressed in skimpy gym attire either.

Now I dont know about any other women on here but that made me feel really uncomfortable, so I have never been again!!! :(

I am slightly paranoid but it doesn't hurt to be aware of danger. I'm not comfortable out in the country alone although it's the nicest place to run.

I regularly see women running alone on Manchester Road near the old King Edward hospital very late at night, some would be an easy target.

I regularly see women running alone on Manchester Road near the old King Edward hospital very late at night, some would be an easy target.

ahhhh but they may be undercover ninja`s, no-one will mess with them!

ahhhh but they may be undercover ninja`s, no-one will mess with them!

If they were ninjas then they should work on their awareness skills, not one of them saw me in the bushes or heard me switch the night goggles on.

Or get the Kleenex out.

why, were you crying?