How safe are women out running?

Maxxy

My wife runs daily on her own. She has rarely felt uneasy or bothered by anything, although I do sometimes have a go at her when she has her iPod turned up too loud and can't hear whats going on around her. I think its all down to sensible timing, although the nights will be drawing in soon so if you work all day, that evening day-light running window will be far smaller.

I have tried running in my area and was successful a few times, but then I was really put off by one incident!

I had always taken my dog with me, a staffordshire bull terrier although she's not mean looking at all, she made me feel safer. And I always went in daylight.

However, I ran near a group of mixed sex youths who decided to shout crude, sexual comments at me. I feel I have to make the point that I wasn't dressed in skimpy gym attire either.

Now I dont know about any other women on here but that made me feel really uncomfortable, so I have never been again!!! :(