Global warming put on the back burner

They have always said it could turn the earth into the snowball effect if the that see current gets switched off which is likley to happen and more fresh melt water goes into the sea that will take the saltyness down and allow it to freeze .

That might be the effect on Britain, certainly; the Gulf Stream keeps us at least ten degrees warmer than we have any right to be at this latitude.

The alternate possibility is that if large swathes of the world become uninhabitable desert, we're going to have to take in an extra 100 million or so immigrants, let alone the few hundred thousand that everybody complains about right now.

Hasn't the world evolved and changed over teh last few billion years without any intervention from man.

Indeed it has, and quite beyond our ability to stop it. Which is good enough reason that we shouldn't be causing any changes on our own bat, since we palpably don't have the ability to deal with them.

Even if the UK was to become carbon neutral, it wouldn't make a jot of difference when half of the population of the world is burning coal like it's going out of fashion.

Yes but the govt. have twigged that CO2 emissions are something that can be quantified and taxed and the AGW bandwaggon is a vehicle they can jump on to justify the taxation. The fact that reducing UK emissions will make not the slightest difference to the global situation is irrelevant to their primary purpose....raising revenue.

The more I read about climate change the more it seems the climate modellers don't really know what is going on.

Thermageddon? Postponed!

In same boat as Greybeard above, the more I look into it, the less clear-cut the situation appears :huh:

The only potential positive I see in this whole affair/debate, is that the measures and policies based on it, regardless of its 'moral' merit, should result in increasingly reducing our dependence on foreign-sourced energy materials (gaz, oil, coal) and keep utilities reasonably economical for all.

Personally, I'm currently looking at Solar heat and electricity solutions, with motivation about 1% to save the planet, and 99% to gain more independence from energy prices/suppliers.

Edited by L00b

Watching Ed Milliband on newsnight last night. He was saying that the UK must be carbon neural. It was also hinted it was the fault of the UK in the first place, with the industrial revolution and coal burning.

But from all the calculations of carbon emissions, Air transport is not included, and all the reductions in carbon emissions, the air industy is exempt? because the savings can be made in easier areas... back to changing light bulbs!

If they were serious at all about Climate Change they would ban all forms of oil and coal burning, Stop all flights and missle testing, stop all the wars put a lot more effort in to putting out forest fires. But then again they won't have anything to tax... or am I being silly?

surely conserving our diminishing natural resources and being good stewards of the planet is a laudable aim regardless of how much the current trend to warmer temperatures is a product of human intervention and how much is a product of human intervention.

I couldn't agree more. We should conserve our resources and we should reduce our dependancy upon the east / middle east for gas / oil.

Just one question. If man's (alleged) contribution towards climate change can't be quantified, why should I have to pay extra 'green' taxes ?

Err....they now reckon it's going to get colder :confused:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn17742-worlds-climate-could-cool-first-warm-later.html

"we know more about what will happen in the 2050s than next year" says Met Office.

Or even next week ? :hihi:

I won't be around in the 2050s, just hope I'm not paying for your services :suspect:

its quite simple really, were currently in golbal warming, man made or not, this will the melt all the Ice Cpas and galsiers, witht he fresh cold water entering the gulf stream this will the mean the northern hemispher has a very very cold spell, not a ice age, but still very very very cold condition, were the sea will freeze, this will effect life as we know it