Waverley Development at Catcliffe MEAGATHREAD

In my opinion I would like British Coal use the open casted land more responsibly instead of trying to make some quick cash. .......

I think you mean UKCoal:)

The point I was trying to make is that nothing should be built on there, or anywhere these days that is threatened by flooding or subsidance.

I reckon thats why there is no school on the plans as it has pricked a minute bit of conscience.

A thriving new woodland that can re-establish the Tinsley Woods area that was decamated during building the steel works would be a good ecological start and bring back diverse industries not to mention new amenities.

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has reserved a plot on any of the new developments at Waverley and what people generally think of the regeneration that is going on? We are thinking of reserving a plot...

Thanks!

Bit of a quiet thread but thought i'd post. Had a look around at what they had built when i was passing this weekend. Some nice houses on there. My partner has certainly fell in love so I expect to be living there in the near future. Great location for some nice walks around treeton dyke, not sure how far they are planning on building to. Wouldn't want to be to close to river in light of the flooding Catcliffe suffered couple year back.

http://www.rotherham.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/85DF40A9-35F3-4173-8F2B-5D7F6A96C3C5/0/FullMasterplanReportSection7.pdf

Cheers Muddy :thumbsup:

Looks like the station is in there.

Can't figure out where exactly, as that map appears to be for cycle routes, and I am having difficulty spotting any existing features on it :(

They'd recently refurbished one of the pedestrian bridges over the railway, this was before the housing development started and it left me puzzled as there was no direct footpath link from either side.

Makes sense now

---------- Post added 05-03-2013 at 12:55 ----------

The point I was trying to make is that nothing should be built on there, or anywhere these days that is threatened by flooding or subsidance.

I reckon thats why there is no school on the plans as it has pricked a minute bit of conscience.

A thriving new woodland that can re-establish the Tinsley Woods area that was decamated during building the steel works would be a good ecological start and bring back diverse industries not to mention new amenities.

Flooding can be prevented and I'd be surprised it got the go ahead without strict design requirements relating to flood prevention. I pass that way quite a lot and have seen some major civil engineering works on and around that site. I'm not privy to the designs or specifications but something has been done.

However, I will add that on my frequent passes, especially when it's been raining the water flows like a river down across the road and towards the site.

isnt the HS2 proposed route also pretty close to this site?

I really dont see the point in buying one of those houses at the moment. The plans for HS2 suggest the line will be VERY close to the houses that are currently being built, plus the houses are pretty expensive for what they are when you consider housing prices in the immediate area. For instance, there are some new builds in treeton that are very nice, plus they dont have the potential issue with HS2 and the whole project is nearly finished so you wouldnt be living on a building site for the next 10 or so years.

Personally, I think that houses on blue mans way in catcliffe are an absolute bargain. For instance, theres one currently in that little estate going for £135k and has 4 bedrooms, 2 en suites plus a large kitchen living room and garage. another end terrace with the same spec has already been sold for that price so I would say thats the going rate for the top houses on that estate. I also know for a fact that the road did not flood in 2007 (as I was there).

I really dont see the point in buying one of those houses at the moment. The plans for HS2 suggest the line will be VERY close to the houses that are currently being built, plus the houses are pretty expensive for what they are when you consider housing prices in the immediate area. For instance, there are some new builds in treeton that are very nice, plus they dont have the potential issue with HS2 and the whole project is nearly finished so you wouldnt be living on a building site for the next 10 or so years.

Personally, I think that houses on blue mans way in catcliffe are an absolute bargain. For instance, theres one currently in that little estate going for £135k and has 4 bedrooms, 2 en suites plus a large kitchen living room and garage. another end terrace with the same spec has already been sold for that price so I would say thats the going rate for the top houses on that estate. I also know for a fact that the road did not flood in 2007 (as I was there).

HS2 line will be at bottom on the existing line won't it? Which is other side of river, should be ok i'd think.

Agree with you about getting more for your money in Catcliffe. Sadly, even houses that didn't flood with be tarred with same brush as people will worry.

Thought I would ressurrect this thread, as Me and the Mister are considering a move out there... The current Government incentives to buy new builds, and with a growing family, make for a very tempting prospect for upsizing. And, if the plans suggesting shops and restaurants work out, along with a planned school, it could make for a pretty desirable place to live.

I'm a little concerned about the impact of the wind turbines tho, is there much potential for noise pollution? Anyone know much more about the proposed train line which was mentioned earlier in this thread. I think I read somewhere that this development was intended to roll for the next 20 years?! Would that be realisitically sustainable? I also worry about the long term value of the properties there, I mean would they become insta-devalued as soon as a new estate was built?

I probably worry too much, but if anyone could offer any insight to any of my questions, I'd be very grateful :)

wouldnt worry too much, one of the turbines is regularly broken and hasnt turned for weeks. cant see them building anymore there now. its going to be a massive development though, lots of houses and ultimately will attract lots of cars, i can see it being busy for traffic until they sort the new junction out to the m way, as they have said they may do.

the original plans i believe included some retail and a landscaped lake, if that is still on the cards it should be a nice enough area, but it will be a building site for the forseeable future, and will look rather barren i think until much further down the line. if you can cope with that and dont mind, then you might get a saving being in there early doors.

I don't live too far from this site and I, along with my neighbours (who have lived here 40 years) thought it was a flood plain. So we were surprised that building had been allowed.

My neighbours daughter went lo look at one and she said they are tiny and expensive. Wouldn't touch them personally.

I'd be more worried about what they're built on.

Looked like just a load of mining spoil to me