Waverley Development at Catcliffe MEAGATHREAD

Not strictly Sheffield I know, but just on the boundary.

But there are some very interesting maps and plans of the proposed park built on the old 'black mountain' slag heap from Orgreave.

http://www.harworthestates.com/development/frames/development.htm

http://www.rotherham.gov.uk/graphics/Environment/Planning/Waverley+Development+Site/

The latter has a fantastic PDF map.

To be honest, I'm not surprised by this at all, especially with the new industrial estates and housing developments nearby. It looks like its gonna to be an affluent little place with the amenities etc. So I'm all for it, I have always said that all areas of Sheffields gateways need developing.

• 2 years later...

Looking at the map, the railway line already passes rather conveniently close to the site currently under development, and with the hoo-ha about taxing parking spaces at work, and the increase in traffic likely to be created in the area thanks to this development, should the council and Network Rail be considering providing a quick and easy public transport link to this site?

map

any hyperlinks available then?

I'm just stepping out the door,

you have to look at the rotherham council website I think. I don't have it bookmarked here at home, I might have it at work.

The scheme is for a large residential area ( houses ) with office space to encourage people to work and live there. A complete community with shops houses etc, and good transport links.

• 1 year later...

The consultants for the Waverley Development have just been to Tinsley to show the residents the plans for the area. Initially Darnall & Tinsley were not invited but for the insistance of a spokesman from the Handsworth Forum.

Its seems that there are many objectors to the plans with arguments about traffic pollution, over crowded schools, flooding of Catcliffe, subsidance, transport links and how the plan is so vague.

The next meeting will be on Friday 16th May in Catcliffe with two water engineers to take the flack for the project developers.

In my opinion I would like British Coal use the open casted land more responsibly instead of trying to make some quick cash. The site should not be developed to the extent illustrated but instead should let the land settle for a good number of years and maybe plant a sustainable forest for the AMP business parks energy station already established.

The land should be sacrificial to stop any chance of the Catcliffe flooding ever occuring again.

Archived