The Big Wheel on Fargate

On a side note Tudor square is a work in progress so why can't people see this and stop making out that the present condition is the finished article.
Because the whole idea of taking a well-used, grassed, tree-lined square and reducing it to a souless, unused, concrete, desolate, unworkable, unpopular skatepark is completely wrong - even if it ever gets finished.

I like wheels, but I can't imagine I'll be paying several quid to go on this one. I'll just carry on wandering to the top of Coles car park and look at whatever view I like for as long as I like for free :)

Apparently it is similar to the one in Manchester and I think it is going to provide some rather good views of the city centre and I hope it get's plenty of interest and use.

On a side note Tudor square is a work in progress so why can't people see this and stop making out that the present condition is the finished article.

because they aint happy if there isnt something to moan about! i dont think many like change.

All for change. But the right change. The square was used by many every day to sit and have lunch on the nice grass in the shade of the trees.

Even when it's finished the situation will be:

Trees gone.

Grass gone.

Seating gone.

Money spent.

People - not using it any more.

A great loss it will be.

I like wheels, but I can't imagine I'll be paying several quid to go on this one. I'll just carry on wandering to the top of Coles car park and look at whatever view I like for as long as I like for free :)

So what can you see from up there - anything worth seeing?

All for change. But the right change. The square was used by many every day to sit and have lunch on the nice grass in the shade of the trees.

Even when it's finished the situation will be:

Trees gone.

Grass gone.

Seating gone.

Money spent.

People - not using it any more.

A great loss it will be.

i saw plans for it a while back, isnt it going to be some sort of marbelised type flooring with light and mist shows or something? seated cafe type areas?

i wasnt in sheffield when it had grass, but i guess anythings an improvment of the tarmac that was in place for the snooker coverage. some grass and trees would be nice i guess.

So what can you see from up there - anything worth seeing?
You can see for a very long way in every direction. It's actually quite interesting looking down on some of the city centre buildings you normally only see from street level.

Now if the wheel was sited on top of one of the multistoreys....

Oh my GOD....you moaning g**s make my blood boil. Bring something new to Sheffield and you jump on the band wagon and moan moan moan. It wasn't so long ago that Sheffield city centre was like a pimple on gods arse, absolutely on it's knees!! Now it's recovering and all anyone can say is they are spoiling it. Do you really want to keep the moor and areas like the haymarket as they are. They smell of p**s, full of graffiti and are in a poor state of repair. It's about time Sheffield saw some investment and major improvements to make it a much better place for us all. One thing is for sure, nothing is certain but change!!!! Get used to it and quit moaning.

Not sure this is really a good idea for Sheffield (as opposed to London or York) simply because you can already see better views from anywhere on its surrounding hills.

The views from it will be worse than if you went to Herdings Park or Norfolk Park in South Sheffield or say Blake Street in Upperthorpe or Crookes in North Sheffield. Or just go up the top of the Arts Tower or Moorfoot (those with access of course) and see.

Also in Fargate surely that'll give you less breadth to try and dodge through the charity muggers' gauntlet?

Edited by Dan_Ashcroft

Oh my GOD....you moaning g**s make my blood boil. Bring something new to Sheffield and you jump on the band wagon and moan moan moan. It wasn't so long ago that Sheffield city centre was like a pimple on gods arse, absolutely on it's knees!! Now it's recovering and all anyone can say is they are spoiling it. Do you really want to keep the moor and areas like the haymarket as they are. They smell of p**s, full of graffiti and are in a poor state of repair. It's about time Sheffield saw some investment and major improvements to make it a much better place for us all. One thing is for sure, nothing is certain but change!!!! Get used to it and quit moaning.

Unfortunately the reason those areas are so bad are because of plans to 'invest in them'. The Moor and market were busy thriving areas before somebody decided to 'improve' them.

However, I like the wheel idea

Not sure this is really a good idea for Sheffield (as opposed to London or York) simply because you can already see better views from anywhere on its surrounded by hills.

The views from it will be worse than if you went to Herdings Park or Norfolk Park in South Sheffield or say Blake Street in Upperthorpe or Crookes in North Sheffield. Or just go up the top of the Arts Tower or Moorfoot (those with access of course) and see.

Also in Fargate surely that'll give you less breadth to try and dodge through the charity muggers' gauntlet?

why is not a good idea sheffielders always moan . this is great thing to happen to sheffield the wheel will be fantastic and a good beacon i went on the paris one the roue de paris which spent time in birmingham it was great .