The Big Wheel on Fargate

no i made a point would people like to look at ship yards or the peak district and the city centre .

I apologise. I read your post wrong. Now I've read it again, I see what you mean.

I think the views over Sheffield City Centre would be great, especially at night.

I've read something on here earlier saying that all you'd see is the Moor and stump of St Pauls Tower, but if you were at the top of the planned wheel, I reckon the view would be stunning.

(Apologies again Ormester for jumping on you without good reason!)

I apologise. I read your post wrong. Now I've read it again, I see what you mean.

I think the views over Sheffield City Centre would be great, especially at night.

I've read something on here earlier saying that all you'd see is the Moor and stump of St Pauls Tower, but if you were at the top of the planned wheel, I reckon the view would be stunning.

(Apologies again Ormester for jumping on you without good reason!)

no probs i have just supported the application on the planning

all for change. But the right change. The square was used by many every day to sit and have lunch on the nice grass in the shade of the trees.

Even when it's finished the situation will be:

Trees gone.

Grass gone.

Seating gone.

Money spent.

People - not using it any more.

[yoda voice]a great loss it will be.[/yoda voice]

fify... :)

Not sure how well this will do in Sheffield because they're usually an attraction in flat cities where they ofer a unique chance to get a bird's eye view. But in Sheffield we have these things called hills where you can get hundreds of different bird's eye views ;)

Stil....if they are going to have one, I think the best spots would be Barkers Pool, Tudor Square or Devonshire Green - plus they could extract even more cash up there because students like that kind of thing.

It may not be as so far the operators have only applied for planning permission for a six-month period but if they wanted to at a later date they could apply for permission to keep it for another limited period or for it to become a permanent fixture.

That was the plan in Manchester. They had the small one temporarily but it proved so successful that a larger permanent one was installed.

manchester one has always been the same size just updated read some of the articles on the star comments people of sheffield deserve nothing at all sometimes this is great attraction for the city and people just knock it

manchester one has always been the same size just updated read some of the articles on the star comments people of sheffield deserve nothing at all sometimes this is great attraction for the city and people just knock it

I won't even bother reading the comments on the Star website, I've done it in the past and they just wind me up.

There seem to be a lot of negative people in Sheffield. But as I think I've pointed out in a previous post, it's the people who object to things that make the most noise.

Where as those in support of things don't say much.

For example, if you receive bad customer service somewhere, you complain, but if the service is good, nothing is said.

So, for every negative comment about the wheel, there are probably a lot of people in favour of it.

I agree with a previous post though, that Devonshire Green would be a good place for the wheel, in my opinion.

I won't even bother reading the comments on the Star website, I've done it in the past and they just wind me up.

There seem to be a lot of negative people in Sheffield. But as I think I've pointed out in a previous post, it's the people who object to things that make the most noise.

Where as those in support of things don't say much.

For example, if you receive bad customer service somewhere, you complain, but if the service is good, nothing is said.

So, for every negative comment about the wheel, there are probably a lot of people in favour of it.

I agree with a previous post though, that Devonshire Green would be a good place for the wheel, in my opinion.

Blimey, there's nothing left of Devonshire Grey now anyway since they tarmaced it over. It's one of the city centre's few open spaces and doesn't need to be lost to a long-term fairground ride.

I would have though the bit down the side of the City Hall/opposite RSVP where the one usually goes at Christmas would have been an obvious place.

Or maybe someone could rush through the demolition of Park Hill and it could go on the hilltop above the station.

Blimey, there's nothing left of Devonshire Grey now anyway since they tarmaced it over. It's one of the city centre's few open spaces and doesn't need to be lost to a long-term fairground ride.

I would have though the bit down the side of the City Hall/opposite RSVP where the one usually goes at Christmas would have been an obvious place.

Or maybe someone could rush through the demolition of Park Hill and it could go on the hilltop above the station.

That's a fair point. We do need more green space in the centre. The more the better actually.

Not sure how well this will do in Sheffield because they're usually an attraction in flat cities where they ofer a unique chance to get a bird's eye view. But in Sheffield we have these things called hills where you can get hundreds of different bird's eye views ;)

Stil....if they are going to have one, I think the best spots would be Barkers Pool, Tudor Square or Devonshire Green - plus they could extract even more cash up there because students like that kind of thing.

why not push the boat out and stick it on top of the Royal Hallamshire?

why not push the boat out and stick it on top of the Royal Hallamshire?

wouldnt take the weight

its only for six months! is there anyone in sheffield that actually wants it to better itself. the wheel is a sign of new things coming to the town. fair enough some green space is needed but with all the developements happening the city is on the up, i know (before i get jumped on) that its a mess whilst changes take place but the city needs all the help it can get to get the recognition it deserves.