The Big Wheel on Fargate

its only for six months! is there anyone in sheffield that actually wants it to better itself. the wheel is a sign of new things coming to the town. fair enough some green space is needed but with all the developements happening the city is on the up, i know (before i get jumped on) that its a mess whilst changes take place but the city needs all the help it can get to get the recognition it deserves.

Im Sheffield born and bred (northern general) i think its a dump at the moment.:(

argh! those pics make me homesick!!!!

oh and the 4th pic, i think thats the only kind of wheel that most on here would want to see in the city centre, small and compact, leaves plenty of space for more parks and greenery, lol!

Blimey, there's nothing left of Devonshire Grey now anyway since they tarmaced it over. It's one of the city centre's few open spaces and doesn't need to be lost to a long-term fairground ride.

I would have though the bit down the side of the City Hall/opposite RSVP where the one usually goes at Christmas would have been an obvious place.

Or maybe someone could rush through the demolition of Park Hill and it could go on the hilltop above the station.

For once and for all get it in your head.

Park Hill will not be knocked down.

Since Devonshire Green got renovated, yes there is slightly less grass but for ****s sake it is a lot more welcoming than it was.

I'm just glad no-one asks you for your opinions on how to redevelop the City when they basically seem to consist of do nothing and complain when anything changes, or Sheffielditis as it is better known.

think it would a great treat to have the big wheel, for me the town hall is one of my favourite buildings and to get an aerial view would be lovely

Since Devonshire Green got renovated, yes there is slightly less grass but for ****s sake it is a lot more welcoming than it was.

I'm just glad no-one asks you for your opinions on how to redevelop the City when they basically seem to consist of do nothing and complain when anything changes, or Sheffielditis as it is better known.

totally agree with you, i have move here recently and have to say i like what i have seen about all the developement thats going to happen, but i have also noticed the amount of people that dont want it! very quick to moan about the state of the city but even quicker to rubbish any plans that come up. I saw another thread on here where someone was saying that more green and less concrete is needed and that will bring more people to sheffield!!??

Unfortunately the reason those areas are so bad are because of plans to 'invest in them'. The Moor and market were busy thriving areas before somebody decided to 'improve' them.

However, I like the wheel idea

Funny, did I miss something when they improved the markets and the moor?

Well i think the graden seating improvements on Devonshire Green are fantastic, and welcome this big wheel, what harm can it do? surely somethings got ot be better than nothing?

All for change. But the right change. The square was used by many every day to sit and have lunch on the nice grass in the shade of the trees.

Even when it's finished the situation will be:

Trees gone.

Grass gone.

Seating gone.

Money spent.

People - not using it any more.

A great loss it will be.

TOTALLY agree. Such a shame what they've done. Used to go there most days in the summer, my young daughter loved it. It looks a mess now, just a mass of tarmac.

Not really up on my Sheffield areas by name yet, where exactly will the wheel be? The pic on the link is way too small.

Sounds great to me though, doesn't matter if you can see similar views elsewhere, being in a big wheel is much different and more of a fun novelty than just standing on a hill. I'll definitely have a go on it.

So you don't think Park Hill has accidentally been left completely exposed and crumbling at an alarming rate on purpose then? The listing can be bypassed if there are 'no other viable alternatives' left. IMO this is a deliberate plan by SCC and Urban Splash to put it beyond repair.

Devonshire Grey is awful these days. It used to be filled with people. Now there's room for a tiny football pitch and the rest is of no use to anyone except Sheffield's non-existant boules team.

I would like to see a lot change in Sheffield. The problem is that all the plans are cheap and gimmicky. We need some tighter planning rules (ideally no prefab or cladding allowed) and some more visionary architecture. Just because we are a northern city, rather than London, doesn't mean we have to make do with depressing tat.

Have you seen the green bit of the revamped Devonshire Green after a couple of day's rain? It appears someone forgot to include drainage in the plans.