Stocksbridge Development-Retail not Regeneration

another waste of money - just like that useless roundabout thats been installed.

Its a mess already , with the manchester bound side churned up to disgusting propotions due to the incredibly poor turning circle..

Its bad enough in a car , never mind a lorry . hence the ruts that have appeared and got worse !

Poorly planned and installed , i am surprised that there hasnt been a RTA there yet !

The money given to fund this , should have been spent on better infrastructre in the area , better transport links , better roads , regeneration of the shopping area . The only people who will suffer are the residents of the area as the lack of true investment within the area only advances the decay and degeneration that i have seen over the past 20 years.

I feel that this is yet another set back for Stocksbridge. Travelling along the bypass daily, I have to agree the roundabout is so narrow and an accident waiting to happen once the access is open, below is the response I received to my concerns from the Highways Agency-

After observing the difficulties of HGV negotiating this over the past few weeks

RE New roundabout constructed on the A616 near Stocksbridge, South Yorkshire

I am emailing in relation to the issue you raised in your correspondence to the Highways Agency dated 9th December 2014.

We note your concerns regarding vehicle paths entering the junction from the east. We can confirm that extensive assessment was undertaken during the design in accordance with the Design Manual for Roads and Bridges (DMRB) which governs the design of the highway network, including the geometric design of roundabouts. Vehicle swept path analysis was also undertaken to ensure vehicles could negotiate the junction safely from all approaches.

We can confirm that the design is fully compliant with the DMRB with regard to size, entry radius, width and entry path. Entry path deflection is the most important determinant of safety at roundabouts because it governs the speed of vehicles through the junction. The deflection on the westbound entry is provided specifically to ensure safe operation of the junction and require vehicles to negotiate at a safe speed. We acknowledge that some overrun has occurred onto the verge but expect this to be as a result of larger vehicles failing to negotiate the left-turn correctly or failing to enter the junction at a reduced speed and, as you observed, straying into the nearside lane to maintain a higher speed through the junction.

In addition, we can confirm that a full independent safety audit has been undertaken on the as-built arrangement which observed the layout and operation of the completed junction during both day and night conditions. The audit team did not observe any such lane misuse or overrunning whilst undertaking the audit, nor did they raise any concerns with the paths being followed by vehicles, but they did note the tyre marks in the grass verge adjacent to the kerbline. A recommendation was made by the audit team to undertake a minor alteration to one of the road markings and suggested a concrete overrun area be provided behind the kerbline on the western approach to mitigate any such occurrences. The audit team have also requested additional signage be installed over and above what is required for a typical roundabout to increase its presence to vehicles approaching the junction. These modifications are expected to be undertaken in the coming weeks.

We hope this helps to explain the reasoning behind the design and allay your concerns. We will continue to monitor the operation of the junction, particularly once the Stocksbridge development opens to the public.

Please do not hesitate to contact the Highways Agency should you have any further comments or concerns regarding the scheme.

Thank you again for your correspondence.

Kind regards

P e l l F r i s c h m a n n

George House, George Street, Wakefield, WF1 1LY

The discussion seems to have taken the direction of how can we encourage people to hop on a train and shop in Sheffield which would rob Stocksbridge of potential employment. The vast majority of people who live in the area do not shop in Stocksbridge. This will hopefully change with the new shopping centre.

I'm all for the development but I have to agree that roundabout is causing some issues! We've followed quite a few drivers now (in cars and lorries) who seem amazed that this new obstacle has appeared out of nowhere and then react by cutting across all the lanes or just stopping for no reason!

I have noticed at least 2 RTA's on the roundabout, 1 drove into the roundabout, another took an exit too quick (Manc bound) and ended up on the grass verge for a few days.

The railway line is only a single line track right up to the steelworks ,and it always have flatbed trucks loaded with steel parked on there waiting for the evening steel train to take them over to Rotherham, so as it stands the line wouldnt be any good for public use.

This would then cause another problem . How would it run hand in hand with the steel works.? There is a small section of twin track up behind Don Field in Deepcar where the daily steel train drops off it line of steel trucks , then couples up the others there waiting to be taken back to Rotherham. where would the steelworks put the teel trucks that are awaiting collection .?

Well if required can the steel works manage their carrages better?

Obviously they don't have to now, the line ends at their yard IIRC and no-one else uses it so there's no worries.

but if the line was changed to be public use as well would the yard be able to organise themselves?

Isn't there also issues with the line not quite going in the right direction to meet all the little villages along the valley properly?

The railway line is only a single line track right up to the steelworks ,and it always have flatbed trucks loaded with steel parked on there waiting for the evening steel train to take them over to Rotherham, so as it stands the line wouldnt be any good for public use.

Well if required can the steel works manage their carrages better?

Obviously they don't have to now, the line ends at their yard IIRC and no-one else uses it so there's no worries.

but if the line was changed to be public use as well would the yard be able to organise themselves?

Isn't there also issues with the line not quite going in the right direction to meet all the little villages along the valley properly?

Unless the steelworks made the section of line in their works a double line to accommodate the flatbeds awaiting collection there is no where else they can park them apart from the small twin track section at back of Don field they currently use.

As for the line not picking up the villages along the way , it access`s Deepcar and Oughtibridge presently ,but not wharncliffe side ,so that would be an issue .

Took a while, but they've announced a flagship Aldi will replace the originally planned Tesco in Fox Valley.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/largest-aldi-supermarket-in-the-region-to-open-in-sheffield-1-7346038

Wonder if we'll also get a home bargains and Iceland like they have on Penistone Road?

Little bit disappointed...I'll still have to buy overpriced tea bags from the Co-op or stop off at Morrisons! Not found any I like in Lidl or Aldi! :roll:

So is the shop going to be the same size as the Tesco was supposed to be then??

Doesn't Stocksbridge already have an Aldi, or is it a Lidl??

So is the shop going to be the same size as the Tesco was supposed to be then??

Doesn't Stocksbridge already have an Aldi, or is it a Lidl??

Its a Lidl , bang across the road from the new development

Took a while, but they've announced a flagship Aldi will replace the originally planned Tesco in Fox Valley.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/largest-aldi-supermarket-in-the-region-to-open-in-sheffield-1-7346038

Wonder if we'll also get a home bargains and Iceland like they have on Penistone Road?

Little bit disappointed...I'll still have to buy overpriced tea bags from the Co-op or stop off at Morrisons! Not found any I like in Lidl or Aldi! :roll:

It's just a shame the Sainsburys at Wadsley was built, that would have been ideal at Fox Valley, where it is, it gets no custom.

I'm hoping we maybe get a Wilkinsons, or similar type hardware shop.

It's just a shame the Sainsburys at Wadsley was built, that would have been ideal at Fox Valley, where it is, it gets no custom.

I'm hoping we maybe get a Wilkinsons, or similar type hardware shop.

I said the same thing...shame they can't just re-locate the whole Sainsbury's building!

I just really hope we aren't left with a handful of budget stores and a greggs.

From the bumpf online it looks to be a substantial development, quite a few units to fill there so they must be trying to find something to put in them.

Maybe they could bulldoze the centre of Stocksbridge and move all the shops across, that main shopping area is proper minging!!