L'escargot in Sheffield

Hi..yep doncaster market definately have them...took my niece only a couple of weeks ago to see all the different varieties of fish etc..and i pointed the snails out to her....but if youre anything like us..cos you want them for a particular day...you can bet they wont have any today.....:hihi:

Hi..yep doncaster market definately have them...took my niece only a couple of weeks ago to see all the different varieties of fish etc..and i pointed the snails out to her....but if youre anything like us..cos you want them for a particular day...you can bet they wont have any today.....:hihi:

Snails....in Doncaster Market.....are you sure they weren't whelks????

This is Sheffield you know....folk here will be eating ones they find in their back yards :hihi:

And why not???

Here's a bit of cut and paste you may find interesting:-

There are many different types of edible snails in the world. The most common are:

Helix aspersa: also called the “small grey snail.”

Helix pomatia: also called “the Roman snail.” If you’re cooking snails it’s advisable to buy them from the supermarket or from another reputable snail retailer…..Garden snails can be eaten, but you have to be very careful that they have not been near harmful pesticides. It is also important to clean and prepare the snails correctly.”I also found an interesting recipe which explains how to prepare, clean and cook the snails on the bbc website in a food and drink article for BBC Somerset.

“Mendip Wallfish Recipe

This version of the recipe is by Pat and Bob Reynolds

Collect snails, Helix Aspersa, the common brown garden snail.

Put into a container in which they can be kept moist and can breathe.

Feed them on bran or lettuce or cabbage leaves for 7 to 10 days. This cleanses them.

Put in a sieve and dunk them in boiling water for a few seconds to kill them.

Take the snails from the shells with a small fork, wash them off and then cook.

To cook about a 100 you need a pint of water, ¾ pint of cider, a large carrot and an onion cut into pieces.

Make sure the snails are covered in liquid.

Bring to the boil and simmer until tender for about an hour - it may take a little longer.

Rinse in hot water to clean off the bits of vegetables.

The snails need to be fed lettuce for 7-10 days

Meanwhile put the empty shells in a saucepan with salt and water and bring to the boil.

Boil for a few minutes then rinse in cold water.

Do this 3 times more to make sure the shells are clean.

Dry shells in the oven.

Now to the snails.

You will need a pound of butter for 100 snails.

If the butter is salty you will have no need to add any more salt to the recipe.

½ teaspoon of each of the following,

Chervil, Dill, Fennel Seed, Basil, Sage.

1 teaspoon Chives

3 teaspoons Parsley

Pinch of Cayenne Pepper.

You can use dried or fresh herbs for this.

Grind up all the herbs together and add them to the butter and mix in well.

Take a snail shell, put a little bit of the herb butter into it, then a snail and seal off the shell with more herb butter.

To serve, put the snails on a tray and put into a hot oven.

When the butter bubbles they are ready to eat.

Serve with cubes of bread to mop up the herb butter.”

So yes, you can eat garden snails. Mmmmmmmm!!!

Can anyone tell me where I might be able to buy L'escargot (Snails) in Sheffield. I believe you can get them in jars, but have had no luck in Sainsburys or Tesco. Thanks
Is that a brand? I've seen frozen snails in most supermarkets, they're no exactly a rare delicacy. If you find plain ones, get yourself some garlic butter ;)

Are you looking for snail shells with snail meat or snails in their shells? Different things, snail meat;s usually stuff with garlic butter and herbs amongst different fillings available.

Tesco, Snailsbury's, Castle Market'll have some.

This is Sheffield you know....folk here will be eating ones they find in their back yards :hihi:
Why not? How different do you think they'd be to snails sold in shops?