Why do women wear face paint?

It's an interesting question. The features that are traditionally emphasised - eyes and lips - are important sexually, and lipstick in particular makes the lips shinier, redder, plumper - just like the genitals when aroused.

I'm in the 'it's decorative not remedial' camp - I'm happy to go without it, although most days I'll put on some mascara. If I was ever tempted to limit my activities based on the state of my face I'd get therapy pretty quickly.

Can't remember who, but there was some guy espousing a theory recently that kissing and oral sex both originate from the desire to eat ripe fruit, which tend to firmness and redder colours.

I like it! The sexual properties of flowers and fruits is everywhere in make-up - just looking at the stuff I've got to hand, there's cherry flavoured lipgloss and a lipstick called Artic Rose...

Geogia O'Keefe had the right idea: http://mocoloco.com/art/archives/black_iris_jun_05.jpg

I would take issue with the notion that to cover one's face is to be ashamed of it. Humans have decorated themselves from earliest times. How they do it is simply a matter of fashion.

In earliest times it was generally the men who wore the paint, usually as an adjunct to waging war. The Celts wore their paint and nothing else into battle, which the Romans found a bit disconcerting. :hihi:

In earliest times it was generally the men who wore the paint, usually as an adjunct to waging war. The Celts wore their paint and nothing else into battle, which the Romans found a bit disconcerting. :hihi:

Not to mention a bit cold!

I adore make up, I don't wear it in huge quantities every day and often go without. Some nights out i'll wear loads, others just a bit of mascara and a cheating moisturiser.

I really miss that part of my old job and transforming how someone feels about themselves with just a bit of mascara is amazing. It is a great self esteem booster and I get self esteem from doing other people's make up. I'm incredibly proud that I've contributed to making people look great on their wedding days. Most people have got at least one good feature and it's finding it and accentuating it. Applying good make up can be as theraputic as eating a whole box of Continentals but with less comeback.:)

It was this smash hits cover that made me realise i wanted to learn how to do make up. It was art on a face. I loved it.

People do get stuck in a rut though and apply the same style make up they learnt to apply aged 14 and still use the same products - people are incredibly loyal! Less shine as you get older and a much thinner foundation, don't try and fill in the cracks! Also once you've applied better mascara/eyeliner to someone, it's amazing how much better they look.

My tip - eyebrow grooming. Eyebrow make up is the best product ever. Your face looks so much more framed with groomed eyebrows. Also most people haven't got a clue how to apply blusher... it really should be taught in high school.

Isn't it only a part of how people choose to present themselves to the outside world? Men do it too - shaggy beards and long, unkempt hair, anyone? No, I thought not. Men shave and (even, gosh, wash) so as to appear more attractive. Not to mention shaving those odd little goatie things, or those sculptured shapes. And facial piercings. And tatooes.

Clothes, too, make a statement. Even if you think that you're not subscribing to 'fashion' you're making a statement: 'I don't give a damn about fashion and am wearing corduroy so you know it'. Bearded people wearing corduroy recognise kindred spirits, y'know! Probably hairy-legged people wearing flat t-bar shoes....

My point is, I guess we all dress/make up to attract (even if on a subliminal level) others 'like us'.

Personally I prefer slightly too large tshirts with loads of wierd holes all around midriff level that I can never figure out where they come from but they're on all my tshirts, it's either something to do with my belt or extremely altitudinally specific moths.

But then I am a student and when I start making money, all my current possessions will burn! Hurrah!