Why do women wear face paint?

all men should be forced to eat sensibly, attend a gym, bathe regularly and demonstrate manners at all times :hihi::hihi:

shame the world isn't perfect eh ;)

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

On the rare occasion that I have gone out without makeup, people who know me ask me if Im ill :o. Always wear mascara at least but usually full face.

This is an interesting subject...

A short while ago I was waiting in a queue at the job centre at woodhouse, and in front of me was a girl who must have been about 17 or 18, with someone who I can only assume was her dad. I didn't overhear all of the conversation but the chap who worked at the job centre told her that she would have to visit the job centre in town in order to get whatever it was she wanted. Her dad offered to driver her over there and then so they could sort this out ASAP, and she scowled at him and said "I'm not going into town now!", and when he asked her why not, her reply was: "I haven't got any makeup on!"

Now, speaking as a red-blooded, heterosexual male, I have to say that she was very attractive, with a natural beauty that a lot of girls would give their left arms to have. But clearly she has been conditioned by society to believe that she is somehow ugly, and cannot be seen in public without any makeup on. While I understand this, I find it very sad that so many people can have their priorities in life so badly wrong. People are so obsessed with 'image' and this is nowhere more obvious than the (predominantly) female need to wear makeup as some kind of defense mechanism.

I think it was Discodown who had the old Mark Twain quote on his signature: "You wouldn't worry what people thought of you if you knew how seldom they did".

i only ever wear make up on special occasions and very rarely during a day, i use products that further enhance my best features. i have nice eyes so i can get away with just using a little eyeliner and nothing too heavy this just frames them nicely. also i have great cheek bones so i use a little blushes just to bring them forward a little. and i wear a tiny bit of clear lip gloss. and i curl my eyelashes so i don't need a load of mascara i don't wear make up because i consider myself ugly i wear make up because i am average looking with great bits that sometimes need help to be seen. and it perks me up some reason on a night out, mind you that might be cos i don't wear it all the time and i don't wear loads of it either and only a tiny bit.

On the rare occasion that I have gone out without makeup, people who know me ask me if Im ill :o. Always wear mascara at least but usually full face.

Do you think the avatar looks better with or without the lippy?.

Do you think the avatar looks better with or without the lippy?.

Better, but could be improved by using "polyfilla" , immediately above and below.

Perhaps some women wear it based on the reaction they are looking for when out?

I know I receive a very different response from some people depending on if I have make up on or not.

Sometimes the difference appears to be whether I am regarded as a professional or if I am 'ready' for whatever is about to happen.

It would appear that people consider me more capable as a mother when I have make up on, an idea created only by having the time to apply it I think.

I generally prefer the perception people have of me with make up on and I enjoy make up.

What is the true purpose of makeup?

In the 17th century women painted their fingernails/toesnails red and wore red lipstick to ward away the devil. They (men too) also used to cover their faces in white powder to show that they were affluent and didn't need to work outside. It was also used to cover up any pock marks. If anybody had a "tanned" or ruddy complexion it was usually the peasants who worked outdoors.

Nowadays, a tanned look is more fashionable than a pale look. It also covers up any blemishes, and claims to make women look younger.

But I wear it as war paint! :thumbsup:

How many men would say they prefer a woman without make up, honestly?

Or those that wear make up to hide scars or birth marks?

I'll add my two pence!!

When it is subtle and done to enhance, a woman wearing make up is a sight to behold. When it is plastered on with a palette knife it's - aaarrrggghhhh!!!!

I find the 'natural' look equally as attractive as a woman with subtle make up.

I must confess, though, I would rather see the natural look at some point in time, otherwise I may never know who I'm actually looking at!!

I have, too, known a couple of ladies who, when they put make up on actually looked worse than they did without.

In the 17th century women painted their fingernails/toesnails red and wore red lipstick to ward away the devil. They (men too) also used to cover their faces in white powder to show that they were affluent and didn't need to work outside. It was also used to cover up any pock marks. If anybody had a "tanned" or ruddy complexion it was usually the peasants who worked outdoors.

Nowadays, a tanned look is more fashionable than a pale look. It also covers up any blemishes, and claims to make women look younger.

But I wear it as war paint! :thumbsup:

Unless you live in Asia, where the tanned look denotes a labourer or farm worker (lower class). There are even products sold to help whiten the skin.

How strange are our perceptions and assumptions.

When it is subtle and done to enhance, a woman wearing make up is a sight to behold. When it is plastered on with a palette knife it's - aaarrrggghhhh!!!!

I find the 'natural' look equally as attractive as a woman with subtle make up.

I agree with that ;)

To cover or distort one's face is to be ashamed of what lies beneath. It is to condemn nature as intolerably ugly. This is not me merely expressing opinion, it is an objective observation of this activity. To make your face what it is not is to be ashamed of what it is.

I would take issue with the notion that to cover one's face is to be ashamed of it. Humans have decorated themselves from earliest times. How they do it is simply a matter of fashion.