Mitchell Road /Abbey Lane Jct

Sorry to bring this up... again! I need some information if anyone has got any. I did start a previous post about this, prior to the exit only signs - but this post is more updated than mine! I was against closure of the road, as it limited entry and exit routes from my house to Abbey Lane, nonetheless I wasn't opposed to it being 'one-way.' This road does not have the space for passing cars - especially when there are residential parked cars. So, to make it one-way seemed a better solution for everyone than to close it off entirely.

Today, however, I was driving down Mitchell Road to Abbey Lane, with another car in front of me, and we both had to stop whilst a woman (I believe was a resident) turned her vehicle round. She had to pull into an empty space in order for us to pass. The driver of the car infront stopped at the side of her and told her it was a one-way street to which she replied "No it's not one-way, it's just no entry."

Now excuse my ignorance, but wasn't the point of putting the no entry signs up was to create a one-way system from the junction of Bromwich Road to Abbey Lane? If not, then what was the point of it all? Had there been no parking spaces for her manoeuvre into, we'd all have been stuck in the middle of the road.

Can anyone please confirm this for me - before I go mental?

Thanks

The woman is right it is not a one way street. There would be nothing to stop the car mechanic or the people with the garages from driving northwards or anyone turning their car round and driving back out.

The woman is right it is not a one way street. There would be nothing to stop the car mechanic or the people with the garages from driving northwards or anyone turning their car round and driving back out.

Then its a total waste of time and money.

Then its a total waste of time and money.

I thought that until one day I drove out of it and parked infront of the Brewmart while I popped into Spar on my way to work. When I waited in the morning rush hour for the lights to change and let me progress townward down Chesterfield road, I thought someone was taking the ****. The lights were at red for minutes and the queue back down Abbey Lane was enormous.

Clearly this ridiculous wait is the reason why so many people used to use the rat run around the other side of the Abbey pub.

It never occured to me before that the lights were the cause of this utter annoyance.

I have written to the council about this scheme as it did appear somewhat out of the blue and seems pretty permanent.

It seems the scheme is 'experimental' with a review in 6 months from 12th March 2009. If anybody has any points to raise they need to do so to the City Centre South and East Planning and Highways Area Board by 12th August and your comments will be included in the final report.

The original report can be viewed here - http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/your-city-council/council-meetings/planningboards/citycentresouthandeast/agendas-2008/agenda-16-june-2008/report-mitchell-road-etc

She may be right - would have to check the signage

The argument was that there was a large amount of rat tunning from abbey lane which was causing problems. So a no entry was proposed however residents pointed out there could be problems if it was one way and it was agreed that the no entry would be made but the road would be 2 way beyond it

NOTE This is whay I seem to remember from meetings not sure how it turned out ill try and check the road signs.

NOTE This is whay I seem to remember from meetings not sure how it turned out ill try and check the road signs.

I've written to the Council for an 'explanation.' Hopefully I'll get some answers. I can understand them wanting to stop a rat run, but I thought their intentions (and the residents grief) was the congestion it was causing - being that there is such little room on that road for passing cars. I guess, at the end of the day, it also boils down to common sense and courtesy - which sadly, some people lack.

If the scheme was put in place simply to prevent people rat running it is pretty poor. They offer no solution to the problem encouraging rat runs... Typical of the Council.

I don't remember there being a huge noise when Gatefield road and Glen road? were turned into one way so is this a sign that car drivers are getting more inconsiderate and not caring two hoots about residential areas being quiet and safe.
I wasn't lucky enough to live there when the block was installed. It is discussed between residents daily and that block on Sandford Grove Road is hated by a majority of residents. Coming from Ecclesall Road, we go to Nether Edge then have to drive all over Ruppert Road up the hill then down again instead of just turning right on to Sandford Grove.

There are little issues with Glen and Gatefield being one way because they form a loop, access is retained but the pavement in the middle of Sandford Grove is a pain for residents. If the Council fears people would beging using Sandfor dgrove as a rat run to the junction with abbeydale Road then let them deal with that, if the junctions is good enough, people won;t need or want to avoid it; just like Abbey Lane. The junction was just perfect without any lights.

Edited by Captain_Scarlet