Does anyone remember St. Silas C of E School?

Hiya Blacklist,

Thanks for the nudge. It's true that I haven't been on the site for a few months and I am grateful to you for reminding me. I just love the photographs. The one which shows the school looks across the block where my Gran's house used to be. If anyone has any photographs of the Hurst Road/Michael Road/Humble Road area I would be very grateful. I have been trying to explain what it was like to my children but a photograph shows much more than words could ever hope to.

Have a happy Christmas everyone.

Granny Pat

My mother asks what was your grans name ? she may have known her, and did you got to St Silas school ?

Hi Blacklist,

Yes, I did go to St. Silas school from 1951 to 1957. My gran lived on Hodgeson Street but I cannot remember the number. It was a back to back house and her's was on the yard side. Her name was Edith Parker. Just across the road from her house is where a lad from our class used to live, Michael Yellott. Gosh, the years just fall away when your mind goes back to those days. No computers, no Kindles, no i-pods. Just so simple it was and although we didn't have all these modern things I honestly think it was happier without all the trappings. No-one had much and they just got on with things and made the best of the little they had. The community spirit was stronger then than now. Everyone looked out for each other. What do you think?

Granny Pat

Hi Blacklist,

Both my wife Dawn (nee Webster) went to school with your mum and can remember when she was May Queen. We both have happy memories of our schooldays at St. Silas and friends who we haven,t seen for nearly sixty years. We recently visited the area and took my eight year old grandaughter to see the school and where Dawn and I used to live. Say hello to your mum from us both and we hope you have a good xmas and please keep in touch

Hi,

I noticed that one or two of you mentioned Dougie Stevenson. He is my cousin and I lost touch with him a long time ago. Has anyone seen anything of him recently?

Merry Christmas to you all.

Granny Pat

Hiya Blacklist,

Thanks for the nudge. It's true that I haven't been on the site for a few months and I am grateful to you for reminding me. I just love the photographs. The one which shows the school looks across the block where my Gran's house used to be. If anyone has any photographs of the Hurst Road/Michael Road/Humble Road area I would be very grateful. I have been trying to explain what it was like to my children but a photograph shows much more than words could ever hope to.

Have a happy Christmas everyone.

Granny Pat

hiya have you read ( i'm not advertising but) they are a good read books by george cunningham the artist who lived on michael rd he names names who i remember from the area.

My mother says she remembers Dougie Stevenson and his sisters they lived up clarence street up a yard (if its the same family). Michael Yellot, we lived three doors away from him closer to St Silas school.

She is certain she must know Edith Parker, but cannot put a face to her. She also believes she went to St Silas school at the same time as grannypat.

We hope you all are having a very good christmas !

Hi Blacklist,

Dougie Stevenson was a friend of mine. I can remember when he asked four of his friends-one being me,another was my cousin Pete Dutton and two others whose names I have forgot to go camping with him one weekend none of us were in our teens at the time,Dougie was supplying the tent. We caught the train to somwhere in Derbyshire and pitched the tent (2 person size) in a field near to a stream. The w/e was interesting but sleeping was a problem-5 lads in a very small tent.

With regard to the attendants at your mums May Queen festival my wife thinks they were Elaine Ashton and possibly Susan Shaw.

All the best for 2012 and keep in touch.

Hi doing family history and I have found out that in the 1901 and 1911 census my great great grandfather was a church school caretaker. As he lived on Hodgson St would that have been St Silas school or Springfield school?

Hi Oldiegirl,

That would most certainly have been St. Silas schhol as that was on Hodgson Street. In point of fact it was on the corner of Hodgson Street and Young Street. The caretakers house was also on Hodgson Street just across the road from the school. When I was at St. Silas in the early 1950s I seem to thing that the caretaker's son was called Peter Judd. If I've got that wrong I'm sure will correct me.

Happy New year to one and all.

Granny Pat

Hi Blacklist and Willybite,

Thanks for telling me about the George Cunningham books both of which I already have. I love them as they show all the places where we used to play. He used to live on the same block as us but on the other side. In the same yard lived the Hewitt's, the Garlicks and the Beaumont's. Gosh, I've suprised myself by remembering those names. Jackie Hewitt is on Friend's Reunited should anyone want to contact him.

I was at St. Silas from about 1951 to 1957. I can remember everyone in my class but not sure about anyone in other classes. What is your mum's name or have you already mentioned it in earlier messages? Sorry, I should have looked first. Btw I went to secondary school with Elaine Ashton as well as St. Silas'. I think that she lives Blackstock Road way or that area.

Granny Pat

Hi grannypat, thanks for getting back to me. My relatives name was Benjamin Hall and his wife was called Florence, but as he was 51 in 1911 he had obviously retired or died by the time Peter Judd was caretaker.

My other relatives who lived in the same area were called Birks. my great grandad ran the Bath Hotel on Broomhall st during the years 1911 - 1913.

all the Hall and Birks relatives lived in that area for many years. my father's name was Harry Hall and went to St Silas school but he married in 1947 so he was a lot older than you.

Hope 2012 is a good year for you and for all the Forum members.