Does anyone remember St. Silas C of E School?

I also used to go to school with a girl called Hazel Medley would also lived in that area I would love to be able to contact her again. Susan Croft & Trevor Askam are also old school friends did you know of these families.

Hi Vera I see you have mentioned Trevor Askam I live in the W/Midlands but still go to the Lane for most of the home games Trevor sits around 8 seats away from myself if it's the same Askam family I belive they lived on Clarence st I will try and remember to mention you to him I dont know if he has a computer but will ask.

hiya jack, the rag shop you said did you mean marsdens rag, bone, and paper ,yard,well if it was i can't see going in there after hours,it was bad enough going on business after waste papering which we had collected for a bit of spends.

Hi WillyBite

Did you ever try putting one or two bricks in with the rags until they emptied everything out onto the scales then make a run for it we used to climb over the wall at evening time and make off with a sack full of rags and take them in a few days later also grab a bundle of newspapers and take them to WALL'S chippy on Ecclesall rd for free fish and chips also got us the money for the SAT morning flicks at the STAR cinema HAPPY DAYS.

hi jack

my knowledge is about the same as yours and my grey matter seems to be getting lesser. i remember quite a lot of the names mentioned. after being mentioned.

my e-mail is

[email protected]

looking forward to them

Hi jonjo2

Thanks for the E-Mail address I think I have asked you in the past are you Frank Williamson that lived on Bishop st in the same yard as Kath Fowler and Roger Kay quite a few of your lot if I remember Roy (sam) Graham,Keith.

I also used to go to school with a girl called Hazel Medley would also lived in that area I would love to be able to contact her again. Susan Croft & Trevor Askam are also old school friends did you know of these families.

hiya when i saw the name askam the name peter askam came to me he lived in clarence st he was about my age 73 if its the same family, and there was paul davison his dad was a buffer known roundabouts as little freddie.

Edited by willybite

Yes I can remember them also Harry & Elsie & the twins Linda & Elaine my uncle took the shop over his name was Lawrence Hardwick & my dad was Ernest, we lived near Hunters Bar back then. I now live in Bodrum Turkey but only today my sister told me she was doing a family tree trying to trace our ancestors. Where did you live at that time

hiya vera parker i've just read your post again my name is bill white, and when i was small on bath street a name the same as yours came to me and wondered if they were related to you they lived at the time across the yard from us up what was known as the bookmakers yard where bill harrison took bets, anyway back to the name it was horace and winnie parker, i know he had a brother who married a marrion turner who had two sisters named norma and brenda.

Edited by willybite

Roger, did you know my dad Tom Clay, who also worked for City Engineers?

hiya i knew a peter clay any relation ?

Hi jonjo2

Thanks for the E-Mail address I think I have asked you in the past are you Frank Williamson that lived on Bishop st in the same yard as Kath Fowler and Roger Kay quite a few of your lot if I remember Roy (sam) Graham,Keith.

yep thats me.

live in northamptonshire now, been here since 1969.

Hi Blacklist,

Dougie Stevenson was a friend of mine. I can remember when he asked four of his friends-one being me,another was my cousin Pete Dutton and two others whose names I have forgot to go camping with him one weekend none of us were in our teens at the time,Dougie was supplying the tent. We caught the train to somwhere in Derbyshire and pitched the tent (2 person size) in a field near to a stream. The w/e was interesting but sleeping was a problem-5 lads in a very small tent.

With regard to the attendants at your mums May Queen festival my wife thinks they were Elaine Ashton and possibly Susan Shaw.

All the best for 2012 and keep in touch.

hiya this letter brought to mind a camping trip my mates and me had in 1950, we went to worseborough canal from friday til sunday there were seven of us kieth pepper ,john farmer terry smith,, they were eleven, me i was twelve, and graham kay,dennis bradley, and brian weatherall they were thirteen, all in two small ridge tents, that was the last time for me ,

My grandad George Hall used to be the caretaker of St Silas school in the 1930,s. He,s mentioned in the By George book. He lived across the road at 46 Hodgson St. My grandma, Lizzie, used to make cardboard boxes in that house for Pickerings & during the war they had a school in the cellars. Brought back loads of memories!!

Hi Oldiegirl, I think you and I could be related although distantly. My great grandfather also was Harry Birks, got a photo of him sat outside Bath Hotel.

Hi Oldiegirl, I think you and I could be related although distantly. My great grandfather also was Harry Birks, got a photo of him sat outside Bath Hotel.

it could be that we are related. My grandma was Nellie Birks, she had sisters Florence, Annie and Elsie and brothers Arthur and Harry.

I have pictures of both Harry and Sarah Birks but only when they moved from the Bath Hotel up to Fulwood. I also have a photo of a large group of people outside the hotel with his name above the door.

any of these names familier?

My grandad George Hall used to be the caretaker of St Silas school in the 1930,s. He,s mentioned in the By George book. He lived across the road at 46 Hodgson St. My grandma, Lizzie, used to make cardboard boxes in that house for Pickerings & during the war they had a school in the cellars. Brought back loads of memories!!

Hi small world as when my grandfather was the caretaker he also lived at 46 Hodgson st. it must have been the caretakers house. my great grandad was there in 1901 and 1911 census. I think I have mentioned previously on this thread that his name was Benjamin Hall. I cannot find a George Hall in my family tree but your grandad could be a child of one of his sons. Do you know who your great grandad was?