Does anyone remember St. Silas C of E School?

Hi Blacklist and Willybite,

Thanks for telling me about the George Cunningham books both of which I already have. I love them as they show all the places where we used to play. He used to live on the same block as us but on the other side. In the same yard lived the Hewitt's, the Garlicks and the Beaumont's. Gosh, I've suprised myself by remembering those names. Jackie Hewitt is on Friend's Reunited should anyone want to contact him.

I was at St. Silas from about 1951 to 1957. I can remember everyone in my class but not sure about anyone in other classes. What is your mum's name or have you already mentioned it in earlier messages? Sorry, I should have looked first. Btw I went to secondary school with Elaine Ashton as well as St. Silas'. I think that she lives Blackstock Road way or that area.

Granny Pat

hiya grannypat, it came to me that in one of george cunninghams books he mentions the vegatable stall holder name of harry hill he lived on the first street up clarence st well his sister was my godmother 73 years ago, harry and his brother had a large barrow on the spare land at the junction of clarence and ecclesall rds, he also wrote about when he worked at viners and would take the bettting slips to the bookies on bath street,

Hi Oldiegirl & Willybite,

Thanks for your replies. Obviously I don't know any of the people you mention Oldiegirl but in my class at St. Silas's there was a girl named Linda Hall. Could she be a relative of yours?

I haven't looked at George's books in a while but they are lovely to have and I do enjoy looking at them and thinking back. He was a little older than me and so some of the people he mentions were gone by the time I came along but not all of them. There is so much detail in the paintings that you can find something new every time you look at them.

Hi Blacklist still waiting to find out who your mum is but I expect you busy having a lovely Christmas. Have you any up-to-date news on Dougie Stevenson? I've just looked back at old messages - is your mum Margaret Futter because if so then I don't know that name. Is Futter her maiden name or married name? I look forward to hearing from you all.

Granny Pat

Hi Blacklist and Will Bite,

Thanks for telling me about the George Cunningham books both of which I already have. I love them as they show all the places where we used to play. He used to live on the same block as us but on the other side. In the same yard lived the Hewitt's, the Garlics and the Beaumont's. Gosh, I've surprised myself by remembering those names. Jackie Hewitt is on Friend's Reunited should anyone want to contact him.

I was at St. Silas from about 1951 to 1957. I can remember everyone in my class but not sure about anyone in other classes. What is your mum's name or have you already mentioned it in earlier messages? Sorry, I should have looked first. Btw I went to secondary school with Elaine Ashton as well as St. Silas'. I think that she lives Blackstock Road way or that area.

Granny Pat

HI Granny Pat

Nice to see you back on again I hope you are well and have had a good Christmas You mentioned the Garlick's I last saw Gordon Garlick around 20+ yrs ago walking with a stick at the bottom of London rd but not seen Susan or any of the family since we moved for the slum clearance going on to George Cunningham I seem to think that he was related to the Cunningham pickle family on Queens rd or am I mistaken as neighbours we didn't get on with the Beaumont's I seem to remember mrs Beaumont was from down south London I think and she thought she was above all us northerners I remember her lad joining the navy I have an old photo of a group of mothers and kids I think we were heading out somewhere on a day trip do you remember mrs Bliss who lived in the corner house at the dead end near Pickerings factory she was wheelchair bound I shall have to have I look to see if I can find this photo plus some of a St Silas trip to London for the England school boys game against Germany anyway have a VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR and I will catch you soon JACK HEWITT.

My mother and her cousin came across these images recently which Ive taken a picture of and then uploaded to the internet.

Image of Hodgson Street, St Silas in the middle and Richards Cutlery Factory on the right - CLICK HERE

Image of 74 Hodgson street opposite St Silas School - CLICK HERE

Ive private messaged a few people who have posted in this thread but due to its long term length spanning a few years i doubt many people will be aware of its relevance anymore.

I hope people find these images as fond memories.

Hi Blacklist

What a great photo of St Silly Lasses school the spare land from which the photo was taken is now where the electric generator stands as kids we had our bonfires there until the generator was built HAPPY DAYS:love: .

Hi Jack,

Good to hear from you again. Yes, I do remember Mrs Bliss. As kids we always tried to get past her window as quickly as we could as she would knock on the window for us to do errands for her. You know what we were like as kids or any kid at that age, you don't have any sympathy for anyone but yourself. It didn't come into our minds at all that this lady was in a wheelchair and her entire life was spent within those two small rooms downstairs. If she caught our attention we would go in and she would talk for ages and then we had to go to the shops for her. How selfish can you get when she must have known that we wanted to carry on playing.

The Beaumonts son was called David I seem to remember.

Happy New Year Jack.

Granny Pat

Hi WillyBite

You got the old brain cell twitching with the names mentioned there i worked with Tommy Hatton on the Greenland rd dual carriageway ( i was one of the roller drivers )i think Ted Green was in charge of the Totley bridge also Chapletown bridge but like you said it's all a long time ago now .Was it Dave Shaw who died in the Manchester plane crash like i said the memory plays tricks now but dont forget old TOEJOE (spelt wrong i know ) he always had yellow gloves on even in summer some pints supped in the Adelpi by a few of the names mentioned Big John and co we also had John Novac (chops and cherb) Tommy Bradey (kabboobie) ex Dunmow rd gaffers HAPPY DAYS.

hiya jack, yes david shaw was killed on the manchester airport tarmac when the plane caught fire, his mate was big john english, and another was barry fox, i

@ rogerhatton - my mother says she remembers the trainbearers as Elaine and Susan so it must be them. Does anyone remember Marie and Keith Jones who both lived next to my mother ?

@ grannypat - yes my mother's maiden name was Futter (margaret). Her father was Samuel and mother Minnie, with a sister Rita. In my mothers class at St Silas was Jean Hancock, Pam Clark, Dawn Webster, Pat Bradbury, Elaine Bland, Rita Bower, Arthur McClarence, Malcolm Umberstone, David Lee, Peter Dutton. She also remembers a girl called Rita Elwis who was a few years older who lived on Moore Street who was a few years older than we were. She hasnt seen anything of Dougie Stevenson since they moved.

Just ben reading a few of these threads... I went to St Silas school in the 70's. i am now 46...I lived on Broomspring lane, but unforntueately I dont remember much about the school as I was too young haha either that or my memory just wont take me back that far..my name then was Wendy pinder I had a brother that went there called Wayne Pinder and 2 sisters called tina and Mandy Pinder. does anyone recall that name

Hi Jack,

Good to hear from you again. Yes, I do remember Mrs Bliss. As kids we always tried to get past her window as quickly as we could as she would knock on the window for us to do errands for her. You know what we were like as kids or any kid at that age, you don't have any sympathy for anyone but yourself. It didn't come into our minds at all that this lady was in a wheelchair and her entire life was spent within those two small rooms downstairs. If she caught our attention we would go in and she would talk for ages and then we had to go to the shops for her. How selfish can you get when she must have known that we wanted to carry on playing.

The Beaumonts son was called David I seem to remember.

Happy New Year Jack.

Granny Pat

Hi Granny Pat

Thanks for the reply that's right the Beaumonts son was called David and I believe the daughter was Susan I cant remember the parents names can you please post the titles of the books George Cunningham wrote as I would like to try and get hold of them both also I don't know if you can help me but how do you post photos onto these threads I have a few of the folks around the 50s and 60s in the area also can you help me was the name of the corner shop on the junction of Clarence st and Michal rd called Rastricks I have forgot the name of the one at the corner of Clarence st and Moor st I believe a lad called Freddy Atkinson lived next door to that one don't know if you can help me on that all the best and a HAPPY NEW YEAR.:loopy:

hiya jack, yes david shaw was killed on the manchester airport tarmac when the plane caught fire, his mate was big john english, and another was barry fox, i

Hi Willybite

thanks for the reply you have just jogged my memory again I remember all the names that you mentioned good men one and all I remember talking to Dave Shaw just a few days before he was killed we were in the old tyre shop in the Olive Grove depot with Charlie the tyre fitter it just seems like yesterday but it has got to be over 20+ yrs ago hope you are in good health all the best for the NEW YEAR.

@ rogerhatton - my mother says she remembers the train bearers as Elaine and Susan so it must be them. Does anyone remember Marie and Keith Jones who both lived next to my mother ?

@ granny pat - yes my mother's maiden name was Futter (margaret). Her father was Samuel and mother Minnie, with a sister Rita. In my mothers class at St Silas was Jean Hancock, Pam Clark, Dawn Webster, Pat Bradbury, Elaine Bland, Rita Bower, Arthur McClarence, Malcolm Umberstone, David Lee, Peter Dutton. She also remembers a girl called Rita Elwis who was a few years older who lived on Moore Street who was a few years older than we were. She hasn't seen anything of Dougie Stevenson since they moved.

Hi Blacklist

You have named quite a few of the old crowd there you mentioned Rita Elwis if my memory is working correctly did she have a brother called Jimmy who had bright ginger hair and knocked around with Eric (moggy) Moles who had a pet monkey Jimmy at one time was the transport manager for the central transport (community buses ) on Staniforth rd but not seen him in many a year now Jean Hancock is my wife's cousin and again not seen her for around 17yrs Pam Clark at one time was the landlady at the Little Mesters pub on William st there again quite a few years ago all the rest was at school I hope that helps you all the best and a HAPPY NEW YEAR.

hiya have you read ( i'm not advertising but) they are a good read books by george cunningham the artist who lived on michael rd he names names who i remember from the area.

Hi Willybite

Can you please post the titles of the Books by George Cunningham George at one time lived in the same yard as myself I also seem to think that he was related to the Cunningham pickle family who's factory was on Queens rd I remember my MUM getting extra large jars of pickles from them at this time of the year cheers all the best for the NEW YEAR.