Does anyone remember St. Silas C of E School?

Philip is my cousin who lived just across from the school,we keep in touch on Facebook. I used to live on Milton St.(section between Thomas St. and Fitzwilliam St. Like Philip I also worked for the City Engineers Dept. from 1959 until about 1967.

Roger, did you know my dad Tom Clay, who also worked for City Engineers?

Roger, did you know my dad Tom Clay, who also worked for City Engineers?

It seems that old age might be creeping upon me but I do recollect the name Tommy Clay,but cannot place where or in what circumstances we may have met. I worked initially as a mason but then went on to be a ganger before leaving in late 1967.

It seems that old age might be creeping upon me but I do recollect the name Tommy Clay,but cannot place where or in what circumstances we may have met. I worked initially as a mason but then went on to be a ganger before leaving in late 1967.

hiya rogerhatton are you related to tommy hatton who was a foreman on the city engineers when i worked for them in 1956/59. he lived on milton st a few doors from woods tobacconists at the corner of fitzwilliam st and milton st one of his neighbores was jack pegg, i worked on several jobs for him the first one was on the lowedges estate. another ganger was ted green he lived in fitzwilliam st just below gardiels chip shop, i remember bill marples he was a foreman, i worked with ted emmet bricklayer, there was jack bradbury,barry fox, david shaw,alf fosker,and big john english the irishman, a long time ago eh.

ps did you know bill coe foreman, he worked on any tunnel jobs that came up, a few years later i worked with one called dennis coe and asked him if he was related and it was bills son and he told me his dad worked for the coal board, that was where the tunneling came from.

Edited by willybite

Roger, my dad was a wages clerk so he could have given you your wages.

hiya roger hatton are you related to tommy hatton who was a foreman on the city engineers when i worked for them in 1956/59. he lived on milton st a few doors from woods tobacconists at the corner of fitzwilliam st and milton st one of his neighbors was jack pegg, i worked on several jobs for him the first one was on the lowedges estate. another ganger was ted green he lived in fitzwilliam st just below gardiels chip shop, i remember bill marples he was a foreman, i worked with ted Emmet bricklayer, there was jack bradbury,barry fox, david shaw,alf fosker,and big john english the irishman, a long time ago eh.

ps did you know bill coe foreman, he worked on any tunnel jobs that came up, a few years later i worked with one called dennis coe and asked him if he was related and it was bills son and he told me his dad worked for the coal board, that was where the tunneling came from.

Hi WillyBite

You got the old brain cell twitching with the names mentioned there i worked with Tommy Hatton on the Greenland rd dual carriageway ( i was one of the roller drivers )i think Ted Green was in charge of the Totley bridge also Chapletown bridge but like you said it's all a long time ago now .Was it Dave Shaw who died in the Manchester plane crash like i said the memory plays tricks now but dont forget old TOEJOE (spelt wrong i know ) he always had yellow gloves on even in summer some pints supped in the Adelpi by a few of the names mentioned Big John and co we also had John Novac (chops and cherb) Tommy Bradey (kabboobie) ex Dunmow rd gaffers HAPPY DAYS.

Tommy Hatton was my father who was a ganger until his retirement in1969,he died in 1978 at the age of 70 years. Some of the names mentioned I remember - Billy Marples (snuffy) who was a very good foreman; Eric Gaye (Tojo or Yellow Gloves) was if I remember a Superintendent ;John Novac ,I think he was the guy who was injured when his legs were run over by a concrete mixer ;Ted Emmett was a friend of my brother Tom jnr. who was also a bricklayer on the corporation,and his now in his 78th year. I did work with a Ronnie Coe who used to be involved with the Owlerton Dog Track, he may be related to the Coe,s that you have mentioned. I worked a lot of my time under the Superintendent Henry Baum on the Gleadless Valley and Hyde Park estates alongside John Cottey. Also worked in town under Tommy Douthwaite and Tommy Slater.

Edited by rogerhatton

hiya rogerhatton are you related to tommy hatton who was a foreman on the city engineers when i worked for them in 1956/59. he lived on milton st a few doors from woods tobacconists at the corner of fitzwilliam st and milton st one of his neighbores was jack pegg, i worked on several jobs for him the first one was on the lowedges estate. another ganger was ted green he lived in fitzwilliam st just below gardiels chip shop, i remember bill marples he was a foreman, i worked with ted emmet bricklayer, there was jack bradbury,barry fox, david shaw,alf fosker,and big john english the irishman, a long time ago eh.

Do you know where your dad worked from, was it one of the depots ?

Dad worked in the Town Hall offices on Surrey St in the 1950s but I also remember him talking about Woodside depot & Olive Grove.

hiya roger bill coe's depot, it was the one at the top of abbey lane just below ecclesall rd south it was called parkhead depot , one of the gangs were just used for replacing cats eyes on the road,i remember one winter salt spreading out to fox house when we got there the driver said have a smoke then we'll do the other side, we had to say we had used all the salt on the first run, another time was a new road cleaning wagon driver went on a route taking in mickley lane when the homesfield parish council rang parkhead as to why a sheffield sweeper was doing their streets. was barry baum a mason pavior, i remember irwin else,.i only worked this end of town.

Edited by willybite

I lived at 61 headford street and my family were the webster family. I was their daughter dawn. The Hancocks lived two doors away frm us. tHE FATHER WAS eRIC mother Flo son Eric and daughters Sylvia,June and Sonia.Yhe Gallagher family lived next to the chip shop Jim was the father,mother Rosie sons Terry Peter and I think the younger son was Brian and two daughters,Maureen the eldest and Brenda who was the same age as me born 1943/44.The Hibberds were related to the Charlesworths who lived on Egerton Lane.The eades had one son I think called Billy.

Yes I think I got it wrong it was Headford Street my father lived as a kid and your right about the rest of the family, they did go to st silas school.as I did years later.

I lost my father a few years ago so any info on what he was like as a kid would be great.

Cheers for the memories.

Debby

Hello i am the son of a lady who used to live on Hodgson street for who i am typing this. Her name was Margaret Futter, daughter of Samuel and Minnie Futter, with an older sister Rita. She lived at number 74 and went to St Silas school and remembers the teachers Mr Fovargue, Mr Hill the head, Mrs Housley and others such as Miss Naylor, Miss Rathbone and Mr Wilson.

She remembers old school friends such as Roger Hatton, Dawn Webster, Peter Dutton, David Lee, Arthur McLarence, Jean Hancock, Elaine Bland, Rita Bower, Anne Mansfield, Rita Gambles who sadly she heard passed away some years ago now. She also remembers the Marsden family who lived in the yard opposite the school, the Adams family and their children, one of which she is still in contact with.

She lived next door to Mr and Mrs Jones who had a son Keith and daughter Marie, about when they slept in the attics and shout to each other through the wall as children. At certains times of the year in the cellar it used to have about four inches of water flood the whole cellar, and she would laugh about her mothers bottles of drinks floating around in the water.

My mother remembers Judy the monkey, who lived in the cage beside the chippy on Young street. In the classrooms at school there were always jam jars painted green for the flowers and when it was time for the May queen the older pupils would go around Millhouses and other areas asking people to spare flowers from their gardens for the May queens. My mother was the May queen of St Silas school in the 1953 festival of Britain, there were two train barers, Elaine and Susan who's surnames we cannot remember.

Can anyone remember my mother Margaret and her older sister Rita ?

My mother and her cousin came across these images recently which ive taken a picture of and then uploaded to the internet.

Image of Hodgson Street, St Silas in the middle and Richards Cutlery Factory on the right - CLICK HERE

Image of 74 Hodgson street opposite St Silas School - CLICK HERE

Ive private messaged a few people who have posted in this thread but due to its long term length spanning a few years i doubt many people will be aware of its relevance anymore.

I hope people find these images as fond memories.

Edited by Blacklist