Does anyone remember St. Silas C of E School?

Hi Jackie,

I think that you are right and the name was Frankie Holdsman and not Osman. I do think that you being that little bit younger than me means that your memories are slightly more up to date. Did you say that you knew Dougie Stevenson? He is another of my cousins who I have lost touch with and haven't seen for many years. If you ever manage to get in touch with any of the old crowd please remember me to them won't you. I enjoyed our childhood there at the bottom of The Moor and feel quite nostagic for it as I get older.

Pat

St Silas School actually closed in1979. I left there in 1978. My father also went to the school. It was a primary school. It was bombed during the war but was still on the go.The head teacher when I was there also taught my father in the 1940's (Mr Fovague) He is still alive today.

It was a very old school and was revamped when solicitors took over it after the school was closed. It had pre-war outside toilets up till its closure with no sinks.

There was only 4 classrooms, a kitchen, an office, a library, a dining room, an assembly/PE hall & sinks in the corrider.

I remember the school with fond memories & was sorry to see it close.

If you would like anymore info I will be glad to give.

hiya just a thought when reading your letter again, eric was my age and set me thinking on sunday mornings the two sunday school teachers from hodgson st sunday school would collect the young ones to go to s/school, and i think we both went there together, this would have been in the early

40s , we started in the first class which was in the cellar, i think brian glaves,and brian charlesworth went as well.at the corner of egerton lane was padleys shop, and a boy a year or so younger than us remember his name was

gene savage.

HI

THE BOOKS ARE GREAT

brought back a lot of memory,s

used to knock about with frankie holsman,david bolton, michael dennell,

david sidall.

Hi jonjo

You have hit on another name from the past in Mick Dennall I also remember his younger brother Ronnie I seem to think that the family were into some sort of upholstery business I remember seeing a fight between Bill Brown and Mick it was one of the good old fashion scraps where the crowd formed a circle and let them get on with it then they both went for a drink together afterwards about the photos have you any idea on how to post them on too the relevant threads the only way I can think of is to private message your E-Mail address and I can send them that way.

Hi Jackie,

I think that you are right and the name was Frankie Holdsman and not Osman. I do think that you being that little bit younger than me means that your memories are slightly more up to date. Did you say that you knew Dougie Stevenson? He is another of my cousins who I have lost touch with and haven't seen for many years. If you ever manage to get in touch with any of the old crowd please remember me to them won't you. I enjoyed our childhood there at the bottom of The Moor and feel quite nostalgic for it as I get older.

Pat

Hi Pat

In answer to you question about Dougie yes I knew him but for the life of me I cannot put a face to the name after all these years I seem to think that he was quite a good footballer did he leave St Silas and move up to Greystones after the 11+ I seem to think I played football with him there if you send me a private message with your E-Mail address I can send you some photos over that way unless you know how to post them onto this thread TAKE CARE JACK.

Hi Pat

In answer to you question about Dougie yes I knew him but for the life of me I cannot put a face to the name after all these years I seem to think that he was quite a good footballer did he leave St Silas and move up to Greystones after the 11+ I seem to think I played football with him there if you send me a private message with your E-Mail address I can send you some photos over that way unless you know how to post them onto this thread TAKE CARE JACK.

hiya jack, nothing to do with st silas school but do you remember on button lane and the corner of carver st the theatrical shop with its joke window to the side,we used to go up the moor and down the other side when we were around 12ish when at the age when no sunday cinema, too young for pub in fact no nothing at all, and todays kids moan, i've nothing to do.by the way what was the name of the pub just below the theatrical shop on the same side, only went in once for a darts match with my dad and when we went to the bar there was only one bloke at the bar and it turned out to be dads cousin who he hadn't seen for yonks

Edited by willybite

hiya jack, nothing to do with st silas school but do you remember on button lane and the corner of carver st the theatrical shop with its joke window to the side,we used to go up the moor and down the other side when we were around 12ish when at the age when no sunday cinema, too young for pub in fact no nothing at all, and today's kids moan, i've nothing to do.by the way what was the name of the pub just below the theatrical shop on the same side, only went in once for a darts match with my dad and when we went to the bar there was only one bloke at the bar and it turned out to be dads cousin who he hadn't seen for yonks

Hi WillyBite

In answer to your question YES I certainly do remember the theatrical shop we used to call it the "joke shop" and on certain occasions crept in when one of the lads kept the assistant talking and make off with all sorts of goodies I infact made off with a George V ceremonial sword which was beautifully engraved all down the blade and kept that right up to moving for the slum clearance the pub you mention I think was the commercial but not 100% sure there were so many pubs up and down Button Ln like you say as kids we went off on all sorts of adventures and roamed for miles going in search of DENS in all the old bombed out buildings do you also remember the RAG SHOP on Button Ln many a happy hour spent in there after closing time :hi hi: .

Thanks for that Pooh Bear..... The surrounding wall of the building looks much older that that of the St. Silas House itself so maybe your Mom is right.

Dont like to ask a lady's age, but does yr. mum remember Thomas Street or Hodgson Street (sadly most of the old houses are gone now). St. Silas School and Springfield School seem very close together - guess that the population in the S.1. and S.3 areas at that time was very high. I know that there were back to back houses and courts of houses etc. My Mom's family were french polishers and Grandad had a 'little mester's shop'.

Hello I remember Thomas Street very well as my grandma had the news agents next to the Brunswick Pub. Her name was Selina Hardwick, and my mothers father had a little mesters shop on Hodgson Street His name was John Earl. I attended Pomona Street School and then Greystones but remember the names of St. Silas and Springfield.

Hello I remember Thomas Street very well as my grandma had the news agents next to the Brunswick Pub. Her name was Selina Hardwick, and my mothers father had a little mesters shop on Hodgson Street His name was John Earl. I attended Pomona Street School and then Greystones but remember the names of St. Silas and Springfield.

hiya vera i remember your grans paper shop below the brunswick pub, it was a funny little shop i remember, it was just an ordinary house with a counter and a door just inside, i bet you would only get two at once at the counterf any more would finnish up in the living place. another thing i remember there was 1 house up the entry and their name was brookes harry and his wife they had twin girls. his family came off bath st.

hiya vera i remember your grans paper shop below the brunswick pub, it was a funny little shop i remember, it was just an ordinary house with a counter and a door just inside, i bet you would only get two at once at the counterf any more would finnish up in the living place. another thing i remember there was 1 house up the entry and their name was brookes harry and his wife they had twin girls. his family came off bath st.

Yes I can remember them also Harry & Elsie & the twins Linda & Elaine my uncle took the shop over his name was Lawrence Hardwick & my dad was Ernest, we lived near Hunters Bar back then. I now live in Bodrum Turkey but only today my sister told me she was doing a family tree trying to trace our ancestors. Where did you live at that time

I also used to go to school with a girl called Hazel Medley would also lived in that area I would love to be able to contact her again. Susan Croft & Trevor Askam are also old school friends did you know of these families.

Hi jonjo

You have hit on another name from the past in Mick Dennall I also remember his younger brother Ronnie I seem to think that the family were into some sort of upholstery business I remember seeing a fight between Bill Brown and Mick it was one of the good old fashion scraps where the crowd formed a circle and let them get on with it then they both went for a drink together afterwards about the photos have you any idea on how to post them on too the relevant threads the only way I can think of is to private message your E-Mail address and I can send them that way.

hi jack

my knowledge is about the same as yours and my grey matter seems to be getting lesser. i remember quite a lot of the names mentioned. after being mentioned.

my e-mail is

[email protected]

looking forward to them

Hi WillyBite

In answer to your question YES I certainly do remember the theatrical shop we used to call it the "joke shop" and on certain occasions crept in when one of the lads kept the assistant talking and make off with all sorts of goodies I infact made off with a George V ceremonial sword which was beautifully engraved all down the blade and kept that right up to moving for the slum clearance the pub you mention I think was the commercial but not 100% sure there were so many pubs up and down Button Ln like you say as kids we went off on all sorts of adventures and roamed for miles going in search of DENS in all the old bombed out buildings do you also remember the RAG SHOP on Button Ln many a happy hour spent in there after closing time :hi hi: .

hiya jack, the rag shop you said did you mean marsdens rag, bone, and paper ,yard,well if it was i can't see going in there after hours,it was bad enough going on business after waste papering which we had collected for a bit of spends.