"I saw a genckleman at the hospickle..." STOP THIS MADNESS!!

Oh and people who say "Actualee", "Realee" etc

I really dislike being called "mate" from people who aren't my friends. Salesmen do it mostly. I don't want to be called sir, but there is a certain formality to stopping me in the street.

A visit to TGI Friday - usually a pleasant enough experience - is always marred by way of a young female in a stripey top welcoming my family (three females and one male) addressing us as 'guys'.

Sorry, but only one of us is male and that particular customer does not wish to be referred to as such.

"Can I get you anything to drink, guys?" "Are you ready to order, guys?"

But that is NOTHING compared to people who cannot distinguish between have and of. "I shouldn't of said so", "I wish I'd of gone" etc. Utter madness!!

And it isn't reserved to speech: On here and elsewhere, a good number of people simply cannot grasp the difference between:

your; &

you're.

"I heard your (sic) going away over Christmas?"

These are basics of english grammar!

Finally, the 'like' word which is inserted after nearly every spoken word by people under the age of 30.

It's filler, nothing more, nothing less and its job is to give the speaker time to think what word should come out of their mouth next.

I once worked with a young lass who told me that her mum would frockle her if she stayed out late. I had to ask her to repeat it 3 times before the penny dropped.

When I had to go to London on business my bosses secretary always booked me on the Sheffield to St 'Pancreas' train. I stopped correcting her in the end as she was never going to change her ways.

When I had to go to London on business my bosses secretary always booked me on the Sheffield to St 'Pancreas' train. I stopped correcting her in the end as she was never going to change her ways.

..didn't have the stomach for it huh!

and God, I absolutely hate axe instead of ask

Agreed. Another peeve is the aforementioned upward affliction when no question is asked.

And don't get me started on double negatives.

"I ain't done nuffink !!!"

Last year I was in London and had a black guy say to me "Can I just axe you sumpink"

For some reason it's hard for some Black people to say ask , no matter how they try it comes out axe.

Putting in "like" every other word is an aussy/yank thing and I seriously cannot stand people that speak this way.

Putting in "like" every other word is an aussy/yank thing and I seriously cannot stand people that speak this way.

Seriously?

For some reason it's hard for some Black people to say ask , no matter how they try it comes out axe.

What nonsense! How can the colour of your skin affect the way you talk? Aks instead of ask is simply Jamaican patois. So there are Africans (no matter what language they speak), West Indians and African Americans who are congenitally incapable of saying ask? What world do you live in?

A & B - It's a childs way of speaking whilst they get used to correct pronunciation. It should never be used by a grown adult!

err...

but they learn it from adults - that's the problem. It's not uncommon around these parts.

When I first moved back here from darn sarth I hired a cleaning lady to do some housework. (I was a single man and often away on business so why not? :P). I felt good about employing her as she was a young mum living on benefits and I hoped the extra income would be very welcome for her. However, she wasn't so hot at cleaning, she wasn't very punctual either and as the weeks went by she became more and more unreliable and some weeks didn't turn up at all.

Her stock excuse was...

"sorry a cun cum t'other day only ad gorra tek mi lickle girl t' ospital"

I don't know what was wrong with her lickle girl but I hope she got better and that she hasn't inherited her mother's work ethic or mastery of the English language.