Benefit Cutbacks

i wonder if the bbc has made an error in printing when they say that prince michael of kent claims £ 200,000 a week in housing benefits

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/2048483.stm

it may be old news,it may be a missprint and mean £ 200,000 per year rent paid by housing benefits,but surely,it's to much when there are people living on £ 60 a week and they have to survive on it as best they can

Do you honestly think that a person with their own house, bills to pay and a teenage daughter staying the weekends can seriously live off £60.00 per week? I was in this position a few months ago after an hysterectomy operation. I returned to work and thought I would be better off but no because I get some of my housing paid the council can take everything off of me bar this amount so now out of just over £100.00 a week I pay most of my rent and council tax. I did get back to work benefit after 3 months dispute but my point is benefits should take account of your personal circumstances not your age. It's not surprising therefore that people aren't prepared to make the effort to return to work.

No because i am on benefits i currently get £75.88 per week but thats because i also get a £15 top-up because i am a training course as soon as this ends it go's back down to £60.50 i welcome any help provided by the government and i welcome the welfare reforms

if it wasnt enough to live on no you wouldnt

Im sure any minimum wage full week wage would be more than a handout from the people who work??

________

Honda Nighthawk history

Edited by Bonjon

Im sure any minimum wage full week wage would be more than a handout from the people who work??

£5.73 x 40 hours = £229.20 but that’s a pittance or so I have been told, better stop at home instead. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

?5.73 x 40 hours = ?229.20 but that?s a pittance or so I have been told, better stop at home instead. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

What on benefits you can get more than that??

________

og kush

Edited by Bonjon

What on benefits you can get more than that??

My point exactly, but I was told that it’s a pittance and not worth getting out of bed for so some must be happy stopping at home.:suspect:

"£5.73 x 40 hours = £229.20 but that’s a pittance or so I have been told, better stop at home instead"

£229.20 minus tax, NI, rent, council tax, 'travelling to work' expenses.

Don't know how much this would leave to spend on food, bills and the odd luxury compared with someone on benefits, living in the same sized house rent and council tax paid for and no travelling to work expenses.

Anyone know the figures?

"£5.73 x 40 hours = £229.20 but that’s a pittance or so I have been told, better stop at home instead"

Don't know how much this would leave to spend on food, bills and the odd luxury compared with someone on benefits, living in the same sized house rent and council tax paid for and no travelling to work expenses.

Anyone know the figures?

The point you are missing is that someone in employment will be more employable when the “right “ job comes along, someone out of work for months/ years probably wouldn’t get a interview.

We all have to start somewhere, no one is going to gift wrap that perfect job for you and deliver it to you on a plate.

...... and then add on things such as Tax Credits, if applicable.

The point you are missing is that someone in employment will be more employable when the “right “ job comes along, someone out of work for months/ years probably wouldn’t get a interview.

We all have to start somewhere, no one is going to gift wrap that perfect job for you and deliver it to you on a plate.

I'm not missing any point, I'm merely asking if anyone knows how someone on minimum wage like myself compares financially to someone of equal status who is on benefits so we can see whether the 'minimum wages aren't worth getting up for' brigade have a point ........ ethics aside that is.

Where did I say jobs should be giftwrapped? All I'm discussing here is the financial comparison.

From £229 'take-home' pay would be around £195

Rent (private) - £100

Council tax - £ 20

Energy - £ 20

Travel - £ 12

Phone - £ 15

Leaves about £28 for food, clothes, cleaning stuff etc.

so we can see whether the 'minimum wages aren't worth getting up for' brigade have a point ........ ethics aside that is.

Please accept my apologies it looked like you were leading us along a different track,although I see you have left the door open.