Numptys driving in fog with no lights on!

Although there was some fog, it wasn't bad enough to warrant them. Fog lights (especially twin ones) can look like brake lights and be more of a danger.

Indeed, you significantly increase your chance of being rear-ended.

The fog was not bad enough to warrant the use of foglights. Visibility was easily 100m, if not more.

Disagree. It depends where you were. Up Wisewood it was so thick you couldn't even see across the road. A few hundred yards down the road it was as clear as a bell.

Disagree. It depends where you were. Up Wisewood it was so thick you couldn't even see across the road. A few hundred yards down the road it was as clear as a bell.

This may have been true, but it would be nice if people then turn them off when out of that little patch!

I favour (front only) foglights as daylights rather than dipped beams because they point down so are far less dazzling.

What about the one that rear ends you because they cant see your brake lights due to dazzle from the fog lights.

theripsaw I favour (front only) foglights as daylights rather than dipped beams because they point down so are far less dazzling

If you say so :roll: shame the Highway Code or the police don’t take the same point of view.

on saturday, the day with bad fog!. was amazed at how many cars on the road driving with no fog lights on. unbelievable. do they not realise the dangers or are they just stupid. the fog was bad. those numptys should be taking theory tests, cos they no idea of the rules of driving in fog. mind you lots of peeps drivin in rain and no lights on, when they should be on in rain.

Hmmm, you sound like of of those people who switches their fog light on at the slightest sign of mist or rain then never turns if off again!! Do you use your fog light on motorways in the rain?

Do you switch it off as soon as someone comes up behind you?

I was amazed at how many were driving with no lights on.:loopy:

On the aside subject of "lights on in rain" I'm not convinced it's a good idea if there is reasonable daylight and visibility.

I tend to put them on because everyone else does, using the logic that people will be looking for approaching LIGHTS rather than approaching cars, thus not see me.

But I feel that overuse of lights draws people to look at headlights too much, thereby putting pedestrians at greater risk than normal.

As for the fog on Saturday, driving though Staffs and Derbys, dipping in and out of fog on rural roads, I put my rear foglights on if I could see no headlights behind me, thus giving traffic further off more time to see me if I was in a foggy patch. Once I could see headlights clearly, the fogs went off (or I left the fog).

It's quite poetic though that after posting my comment on front fogs, I accidentally switched mine on today and drove a mile with them on. Oops! (Can't see the warning light easily as the cleverly designed dashboard tucks the light behind the rim of the steering wheel)

we went to Doncaster on saturday morning and i was also amazed at the amount of people driving without headlights or fog lights, but not only that they were still driving at 70-80 miles an hour on the motorway

On a general note of use of dipped HEADLAMPS in poor vision and visibility (most sidelights on most vehicles are the original waste of space except for parking):

It's a good idea to see and be seen - so "wipers on, lights on", driving a dull-coloured car on a dull day in a grey wintery landscape? Then lights on so that you can be seen from a long way back by that driver who might pull out on you - your dipped headlights say "look at me, I'm scary, don't do it."

Anyway, come 2011/2012 an EU directive will have us all behaving like (cue the old Jasper Carrot joke) Volvo drivers i.e daylight running lights will be mandatory. (Much of northern Europe has this in place already and further south Italians have to drive with lights on on M/ways (incidentally, with the change the Italians saw an immediate reduction in m/way crashes.)

I don't know that we need an EU directive and our Govt. are dragging their heels somewhat (another unpopular thing coming out of Brussels?) but I do know that we could do with intelligent use of lights on our roads ...

but for that we would need intelligent drivers to populate the roads ... oh well, it seemed a good idea at the time.

We need an EU directing stopping stupid people putting their fog lights on just because it's raining, then an additional one that confiscates and crushes their cars if they do it on motorways.

Or giving their cars to me.

:)

One of my young neighbours had just passed his test, and to ensure safety at all times he keeps both front and rear fogs on, along with full beams. To make doubly sure, he's also had his exhaust made to sound like a motorboat, so you can hear his T-reg corsa coming. Clever lad! ;)

not being a driver - i wouldn't notice this too much - but when I'm nearly knocked over by a cyclist, on a pavement with no lights - it properly annoys me. fairplay, the roads are dangerous, but if you can't be seen on a pavement, it can only cause more problems.