Does anyone know if Endcliffe Park playground is open yet?

It looks very interesting. The only thing that bothers me is the wood chippings for flooring under the climbing area. That will be a mud bath in no time. Why couldn't they have used that springy tarmac stuff which is so good.

• 4 weeks later...

Took little Wibbles to the new Endcliffe Park playground on Sunday and I have to say...what a disappointment. Is that the best they can come up with??

Little'un is 2 and a bit and apart from some pointless little climbing frame there was nothing else for him to enjoy independently apart from splashing in a puddle.

Given the amount of fuss and fundraising required to complete the play area the end result is poor. I'm afraid erecting a cool looking climbing frame and a few new swings is somewhat lazy planning. I wish someone would actually consider what kids like doing. Ok, some like climbing and swinging but there are others who would like a bit of stimulation and interest especially the younger ones. We try and encourage our kids to be independent and aware of their own abilities yet playgrounds supress this, along with over zealous health and safety design.

I want him to do what kids should be doing...getting down on his hands and knees, getting dirty, picking things up, crawling through tunnels, hiding, running around, stacking things, splashing in muddy water. Endcliffe Park play area just doesn't provide enough.The little'un got most enjoyment out of splashing in the puddles with his wellies on so that was money well spent!

Mind you the matching body warmers, golden retriever, large sunglasses, 2.4 perfect children called Milly and Molly, pointless overly large 4x4 driving brigade seem to like it.

I don't have the link to hand but I recall reading in a building or architecture magazine about play areas in Europe, probably Holland and Germany and how much more developed and imaginative the designs are.

Took little Wibbles to the new Endcliffe Park playground on Sunday and I have to say...what a disappointment. Is that the best they can come up with??

Little'un is 2 and a bit and apart from some pointless little climbing frame there was nothing else for him to enjoy independently apart from splashing in a puddle.

Given the amount of fuss and fundraising required to complete the play area the end result is poor. I'm afraid erecting a cool looking climbing frame and a few new swings is somewhat lazy planning. I wish someone would actually consider what kids like doing. Ok, some like climbing and swinging but there are others who would like a bit of stimulation and interest especially the younger ones. We try and encourage our kids to be independent and aware of their own abilities yet playgrounds supress this, along with over zealous health and safety design.

I want him to do what kids should be doing...getting down on his hands and knees, getting dirty, picking things up, crawling through tunnels, hiding, running around, stacking things, splashing in muddy water. Endcliffe Park play area just doesn't provide enough.The little'un got most enjoyment out of splashing in the puddles with his wellies on so that was money well spent!

Mind you the matching body warmers, golden retriever, large sunglasses, 2.4 perfect children called Milly and Molly, pointless overly large 4x4 driving brigade seem to like it.

I don't have the link to hand but I recall reading in a building or architecture magazine about play areas in Europe, probably Holland and Germany and how much more developed and imaginative the designs are.

Totally disagree with you.

Took my five year old on Sunday and we thought it was brilliant.

The first playground we,ve been to in ages which is quite challenging to get around on equipment and plenty of danger (saw loads of kids falling off stuff and banging various bits of themselves on ground / each other).

About time we had some playgrounds with a bit of risk element..

Frankly if all you want is puddles , get the hosepipe out in the back garden..

Or explore the rest of the park where there is plenty of chance for getting mucky!

The people who live locally to this park raised the money to do most of this themselves and should be congratulated

Plus keep the reverse snobbery out of the forum ta.

Just undermines your post.

Can see both view points. I have a two year old and he isn't able to partake in much of the equipment which leaves an over-used toddler climbing frame, the swings and The Puddle (which is great!). There really isn't anything for the under twos and he used to love the very battered low rise climbing frame that was there before, especially the mud at the bottom of the slide! However, he's not going to be two forever and I'm sure it will only get better as he develops. And I've seen the older kids using the facilities which (as long as they're considerate of the younger ones) is fantastic - where else do they go?

The special needs swings are set up facing the wrong way: with the low winter sun, any kid that uses them is blinded!

I am miffed by the stone/rock thing. Is it supposed to be for climbing on? I haven't seen anyone on it yet. I gave a donation online for this, which I'm now slightly regretting - I'm sure I read it was costing £6000:loopy:! The playground is totally over-populated at the moment too and quite hideous as a result. I used to go down there with littl'un twice daily but now shiver in horror as I have to endure "standing room only". I'm hoping the novelty will wear off soon.

Then why take him to a structured play area then?

I think it's great, though rather too busy!

My kids are 2 and 3 and they love the roundabout and seesaw and swings. The only thing for me is that the 3 yo is just a bit too small to do the climbing slide without help and the 2 year old needs help with the smaller climbing frame as the rampy bits are a bit slippy, especially with the wet sand. I'm glad that it's a challenge though.

I also heard that there's going to be another play area for older kids built at the top end of the field which will be more challenging.

It is the only time they could do it.

out of a year? They could only manage the summer holidays? Well planned then. Never mind, its given us chance to visit the excellent playgrounds at Queens Park in Chesterfield, and the great one in Norfolk Park. Hopefully Endcliffe will meet up to their standards.

• 2 months later...

Well .You can please some of the people some of the time...as they say.

I guess that people will eventually get used to it.It seems so long ago that I had to think about this.Mine are 19 and 13 and my 13 year old is about 5ft 10!