What is this strange ball hanging off my privet hedge?

Is it a spiders nest? A friend of mine has three big ones on his fence, about half as big again as a ping pong ball and absolutely chock full of tiny spiders which will of course grow to become the sort of fearsome hairy legged monster that i had such trouble with earlier this week.

It looks remarkably like a mouldy apple tulip, but it is definitely on the end of a privet stem and nobody has stuck it there. The bit at the bottom that looks like the core of an apple is probably the tip of the privet leaf sticking out.

There was actually a yellow ladybird on the same stem which I wondered if it might be connected if there are tasty morsels to be had.

Its very close to the bird feeders so I suppose that it's possible that bird droppings might have started something off.

My hunch is that it is connected to some kind of wasp or hornet.

Finally, I apologise for the title - I am an innocent and but for your filthy minds I would not have realised. :)

It looks remarkably like a mouldy apple tulip, but it is definitely on the end of a privet stem and nobody has stuck it there. The bit at the bottom that looks like the core of an apple is probably the tip of the privet leaf sticking out.

There was actually a yellow ladybird on the same stem which I wondered if it might be connected if there are tasty morsels to be had.

Its very close to the bird feeders so I suppose that it's possible that bird droppings might have started something off.

My hunch is that it is connected to some kind of wasp or hornet.

Finally, I apologise for the title - I am an innocent and but for your filthy minds I would not have realised. :)

Ahhh Tony...somehow, I think you might not be as innocent as you claim. :heyhey:

I'm sure Freud could have a field day with it....surely, it was some sort of subliminal message you were sending out to the ladies...:D:D