Zizis leopold square

Enjoyed a third visit to Strada Bank Holiday Monday.

Again it was excellent although it's a good thing I'm an honest bod.

For the second visit running they omitted the Taitinger blush champagne from the bill (and at £50 a time!).

A restaurant meal is all about expectations

Even a little chef, gave you exactly what you expected.

Zizzis isn't for a wedding anniversary. The food is OK the place is clean, the staff all appear to work hard, it's a fine line to just cope with the level custom they get, without having too many staff and losing money.

See them for what they are and lower your expectations a bit.

Zizzis isn't for a wedding anniversary. The food is OK the place is clean, the staff all appear to work hard, it's a fine line to just cope with the level custom they get, without having too many staff and losing money.

I think the problem is that you look at the prices and expect more. Ok it's not hugely expensive but you can pay less for pub grub which is just as good/better than Zizzi. If you go to a pub your expectations are lower and you can be pleasantly suprised, if you go to a restaurant you expect food of a certain quality and you can be unpelasantly suprised!

If you think the food was OK that's your opinion. It wasn't cheap, I expected better than I got.

There was a big Pizza Oven with flames flickering at the back of it, ooh great a crispy pizza bottom I thought, no chance because the flames are for effect and the oven wasn't/isn't hot enough to crisp the pizzas.

The garlic bread was awful, dry tasteless rubbish.

A fish dish with fried potatoes, literally oozed oil and fat as the pan had not been hot enough when the ingredients went in and so they soaked up the grease rather than frying in it.

All the mistakes are basic catering practice ones, poorly run in my opinion.

I would say don't lower your expectations but search out somewhere that gets better reviews, Strada does well in reviews and it's next door so might try that next.

Zizzi's is a national chain of pizza restaurants. They are almost as common as Pizza Hut but their food is marginally better.

No doubt they will be owned by some big conglomerate, like Whitbread's or something.

I went to the one in Leopold Square. Attracted by the nice surroundings, exposed logs, suggesting a wood-fired pizza oven, and a sense of curiosity to see if it really was as "upmarket" as the appearance might suggest.

The short answer is no. It's not. It's what one might expect from a national chain of restaurants. Pretty standard fare, rather ordinary actually, not bad by any means, but not exactly outstanding in any way. Nice decor, pleasant attractive staff, good range of drinks, nice location. At the end of the meal the waitress asked if everything was o.k. and it was, "o.k."

I can't enthuse about it any more than I would Pizza Hut or KFC really. If you like your national chain restaurants then you won't be disappointed.

Yes Dippy that sounds about right

How big a chain are strada.

They have a more difficult task, a bit further up the market, but still to a template which in itself tends to suppress the personal touch that an independant would have.

How embarrassing! I don't know anything at all about Strada, I'll have to keep a look out for it. I spend most of my week working in Southern England so if a new one has popped up in Sheffield it might have escaped me. Although I don't recall seeing this chain down south either. Heavens! not a true independent possibly?

Zizzi's is a national chain of pizza restaurants. They are almost as common as Pizza Hut but their food is marginally better.

No doubt they will be owned by some big conglomerate, like Whitbread's or something.

I went to the one in Leopold Square. Attracted by the nice surroundings, exposed logs, suggesting a wood-fired pizza oven, and a sense of curiosity to see if it really was as "upmarket" as the appearance might suggest.

The short answer is no. It's not. It's what one might expect from a national chain of restaurants. Pretty standard fare, rather ordinary actually, not bad by any means, but not exactly outstanding in any way. Nice decor, pleasant attractive staff, good range of drinks, nice location. At the end of the meal the waitress asked if everything was o.k. and it was, "o.k."

I can't enthuse about it any more than I would Pizza Hut or KFC really. If you like your national chain restaurants then you won't be disappointed.

You've got this spot-on! Like a school report might say, "Could do better", it hardly merits a telling off from your parents yet you know it will leave them a little disappointed.

Strada wins hands down.

You've got this spot-on! Like a school report might say, "Could do better", it hardly merits a telling off from your parents yet you know it will leave them a little disappointed.

Strada wins hands down.

and just like my old school report would say...

Must try Strada