Is Gordon Brown An Electoral Liability To Labour In The Council Elections?

IS GORDON BROWN AN ELECTORAL LIABILITY TO LABOUR  

138 members have voted

1. 1. IS GORDON BROWN AN ELECTORAL LIABILITY TO LABOUR

• Yes... Gordon Brown is an electoral liability to Labour
    • No... Gordon Brown is an electoral asset to Labour

Council elections are a local thing, if people want to protest at things going on at a national level they risk voting in incompetent opportunist parties who would make a bigger mess of things, such as when the Lib Dems got complete control a few years back. I'll be voting Green, as ever.

I keep seeing people posting this sort of comment on here ... but never posting any details to back up the statements. I'd like you to post some examples of this "bigger mess" the LibDems made of things.

AFAIK, the City was much more buoyant at the time, had a better press (except from the Star) and attracted much more inward investment. The LibDems also developed principles for spreading the luck more fairly around the City and not just in the 'favoured areas'. A lot of the 'mess' that did occur was hangovers from the Labour years and as such there was little that could be done about that.

I have to say that imo, comments such as yours are just sour grapes that would sound more in character from a diehard ex Labour supporter. Sadly, your party haven't made much of an impression so far, not a favourably Green one anyway :P

Brown's a liability not just to his Party but the country as a whole, the man's a ditherer with no courage of his convictions. How can we rely on someone who sneakily sets out to deprive the poorest of their already meagre wages and then spends months denying he's for turning, and then turns at the last minutes ... :help:

I have just been listening to Bottler Brown in the Commons yesterday. His claim that people are much better off due to New Labour rang a little hollow on the day they announced that personal debt had just passed the Gross National Product of the UK.

Someone should tell Gordon there is a difference between wealth and the ability to raise the credit limit on a Visa Card.

I keep seeing people posting this sort of comment on here ... but never posting any details to back up the statements. I'd like you to post some examples of this "bigger mess" the LibDems made of things.

I have to say that imo, comments such as yours are just sour grapes that would sound more in character from a diehard ex Labour supporter. Sadly, your party haven't made much of an impression so far, not a favourably Green one anyway :P

The Lib-Dems ran the council from ‘99 and as I remember despite privatising our leisure facilities, old peoples homes, waste systems and trying to sell off the council houses, they still managed to spend a significant portion of the city’s reserves. Then they were kicked out after 3 years.

This was my impression at the time, but I would be grateful for some analysis by people with the facts at their fingertips.

As I'm not a "diehard ex Labour supporter" your last paragraph doesn't make much sense. I hope for most people the party they vote for isn't "their party", and that people vote for the individual or party they feel would most represent them in the political process at the time.

Every time they change a tax they need more civil servants to take the money off us. Everytime there is a backlash and concessions like we have just seen they need more civil servants to administer the changes.

A huge amount of what we pay in tax is to pay the wages and INDEX LINKED pensions of those who take the money from us.

Gordon Brown was responsible for hundreds of these stealth taxes whilst he was Chancellor and can't help interfering now he isn't. The abolition of the 10p rate of tax was a last hurrah for Brown in his attempt to get a headline about reducing the 22% band. The tax payers of Britain picked up the tab for Brown's headline and now we are going to pay again as the Treasury have to clear up the mess.

I think I would take to the bottle in protest if there wasn't an above inflation tax increase on that as well.

The sooner Brown is consigned to the dustbin of history the better. He gets my vote as the worst Prime Minister/Chancellor of all time. How could the Labour Party get it so wrong?

The Lib-Dems ran the council from ‘99 and as I remember despite privatising our leisure facilities, old peoples homes, waste systems and trying to sell off the council houses, they still managed to spend a significant portion of the city’s reserves. Then they were kicked out after 3 years. This was my impression at the time, but I would be grateful for some analysis by people with the facts at their fingertips.

As my impression was totally different from yours, I think we must indeed get some analysis by such people.

If by 'kicked out' you mean failing to retain control by a couple of seats after some dastardly work by the Opposition ... I'd have to agree with you

Council elections are a local thing, if people want to protest at things going on at a national level they risk voting in incompetent opportunist parties who would make a bigger mess of things, such as when the Lib Dems got complete control a few years back. I'll be voting Green, as ever.

I suspect the way Gordon Brown has cocked things up in his short time as unelected Prime Minister, it will have some impact on the elections.

When people are feeling under pressure they tend to lash out. I think GB will cost the local Labour Party rather a lot of votes on Thursday.