Old Education Building Leopold Street

Bikertec

'Courtyard'? Well they must be doing a lot more than 'pruning'. My Dad and Uncle were both Caretakers from the 70s to the 80s and I had a few visits to the education services offices in Leopold Street.

The only 'courtyard' I can imagine being referrred to is a completely surrounded, none too big bog standard school yard, with little light and less access.

• 2 months later...

If you're interested in the what the finished scheme is going to look loike take a look at the leopold square website. There will be 8 or 9 restaurants &/or bars, plus the 92 bed hotel. It should be open by late spring '07. http://www.leopoldsq.com.

They are fantastic historic buildings, a rare thing in Sheffield, and will be put to use once again. Very good news I say.

TSorry Hazel The central technical school was the Junior Technical School in 1938 when I attended Originally Bang on the corner of West St and Leopole St The Education Building was next door on Leopole st Going towards the Grand Hotel and the Town Hall Signed Old Man

TSorry Hazel The central technical school was the Junior Technical School in 1938 when I attended Originally Bang on the corner of West St and Leopole St The Education Building was next door on Leopole st Going towards the Grand Hotel and the Town Hall Signed Old Man

Correct it later became Central Technical School ,I went in 1963 and in 1964 it moved to Gleadless.I remember City Grammar being next door.

If you're interested in the what the finished scheme is going to look loike take a look at the leopold square website. There will be 8 or 9 restaurants &/or bars, plus the 92 bed hotel. It should be open by late spring '07. http://www.leopoldsq.com.

They are fantastic historic buildings, a rare thing in Sheffield, and will be put to use once again. Very good news I say.

For some reason west street end ,not listed typical Sheffield Planning, I have not been recently, does that mean West Street & HollyStreet have gone.

I'm caught in two minds about this - but I'm surprised that no-one has emphasised that much of this was Firth College, which has a facscinating history, and was one of the three institutions from which the university was formed.

I think preservation by regeneration is important - but that website makes me want to be sick. Hey! It's so dynamic! Fantastic! Rent Here! We're great! Cutting edge! Get with it! Urban! Cutting Edge!

Yeah. Could do without the skateboarder and the woman partying. Put me right off. Then when you click on the scheme ... is it just me that hates that angular bit sticking out?

The 'angular bit' is an important element of the scheme - this new build section (the only entirely new build in the development) serves to create a dramatic entrance to the site from West Street. This is an important axis and junction and the new building asks as a marker to this entrance, drawing people in to the public square beyond (hence 'Leopold Sq'). It also acts as a unifying form between the various angles and heirachies established by the existing buildings. The form may not be to everyones taste, I can understand, but this is also important commercial space which requires maximum inter-visibilty and floor area for viability. The visuals of the building do not do it justice (particularily the colour of the cladding which will mellow to a colour similar to the bronze on Steel City House) and the website certainly does not - flying in the face of what will be an elegant, sensitive development which has taken over 6 years to come to fruition and will certainly contribute positively to the regeneration of the city centre.

What a website. The first page left me speechless - a scrubber with fishnet tights, short skirt, fur coat and flute of champagne. What sort of image are they trying to convey?

Why is the city getting it constantly wrong, time after time?