Old Education Building Leopold Street

Bikertec

Correct it later became Central Technical School ,I went in 1963 and in 1964 it moved to Gleadless.I remember City Grammar being next door.

I'm not sure that is strictly correct. The Central Technical School was on the corner of West Street/Leopold Street, then came the Education offices in the centre of Leopold Street - up the steps etc. These premises separated the two schools as the City Grammar School was on the corner of Leopold Street and Orchard Lane. The Education offices were extended to those quarters when City Grammar moved to its present site as Stradbroke.

Where the CTS and CGS may have been considered next to each other was round the back where the playgrounds seemed to be adjacent from Bow Yard.

I stand correction but this is my fairly clear recollection.

What a website. The first page left me speechless - a scrubber with fishnet tights, short skirt, fur coat and flute of champagne. What sort of image are they trying to convey?

All the pages have over the top glitzy types, I don't think they are specific to Sheffield! Perhaps they could have used pictures of real shoppers carrying 'Poundland' or 'Netto' bags, but that might not have had the same attraction for people looking to visit Sheffield. Lets face it, thats the main reason for building an expensive hotel!

There's a fantastic Old Education Building on Leopold Street that is going to be demolished to build what I have no idea. My question is why is Sheffield council pulling down all our historic buildings. This building is part of our past are they telling us there is no where else to build, why can't the renovate it or gut it and rebuild the inside. Soon Sheffield will have no past left just ugly new hotels and office blocks. :rant: Ok rant over.

Surely you dont mean The Grammar School (which I attended) and the Technical College??? Surely they must be protected buildings??

It was the City Grammar School in the past, then the Central Technical School, then the Education Building.

I knew one or two boys who went there at 13 and had an excellent education. Had to sit an exam to get there tho.

Hazel

No, the Grammer School and Technical School co-existed, I had to pass the 11 plus to get there, It has its own very good website, Omnes Amici (the school song)

'Courtyard'? Well they must be doing a lot more than 'pruning'. My Dad and Uncle were both Caretakers from the 70s to the 80s and I had a few visits to the education services offices in Leopold Street.

The only 'courtyard' I can imagine being referrred to is a completely surrounded, none too big bog standard school yard, with little light and less access.

Well it used to be big enough for two seperate games of football to be going on simultaneously! And the Grammar school was mixed and I dont remember the girls complaing they didnt have enough place in the playground. The 'Tech' had a seperate playground though, that may have been smaller, and yes to an earlier post you went there at 13, sort of a second chance if you failed the 11 plus, Siverdale was the same!

Surely you dont mean The Grammar School (which I attended) and the Technical College??? Surely they must be protected buildings??

It wasn't a college. It was the Central Technical School and the initials CTS were visbily on the school badge. Pupils, once left, either went into industry on sandwich courses, apprenticeships etc, colleges or universities.

It wasn't a college. It was the Central Technical School and the initials CTS were visbily on the school badge. Pupils, once left, either went into industry on sandwich courses, apprenticeships etc, colleges or universities.

Sorry, I did correct myself further on I think?