"I was having my usual actress problem/infatuation kind of thing"

Hmm... OK, this thread has come about after reading several things. One was the love at first sight thread, another was the weather presenter thread in which someone is in love with a news presenter... these things got me to thinking about an actress infatuation incident that happened to me recently. I was watching a film, and go so involved that I started to become rather infatuated with the actress... or maybe the character, not sure...

Anyway, with these things in mind, I then read a story about the Counting Crows lead singer Adam Duritz and how he wrote the song 'Mrs Potters Lullaby' about the actress Monica Potter...

"I came up with the chorus music and the first chorus. And then I stopped and said to myself, "How can I write a whole song about someone I don't even know? It's not gonna go anywhere, it's a total dead end. It's automatically trite and false." But I was enthralled with it. I wondered what else I could do."

I felt that this was rather sweet, until I read on and discovered that he was then introduced to her after she heard about the song and then they started dating... which was pretty sickening, as I don't have the talent to write a song, and I'm not famous either, so even if I did she would never hear it.

So... does anyone else suffer/has suffered this strange problem, or did they grow out of it after there teen years? I'm not talking about being a fan of someone, having posters on your wall, etc... rather an infatuation of someone that you haven't met, be it an actress, actor, or news presenter, or even the girl in the local chip shop.

I think having that sort of infatuation about something you've never had dealings with is what usually leds to restraining orders....:)

I will often express an admiration for someone, but it's very much in the same way that I admire ceiling of the Cistine Chapel as a work of art - very beautiful but impractical to have in my life. :)

To admire something of beauty isn't problematic; to obsess on possessing it is.

Joe

Originally posted by JoePritchard

I think having that sort of infatuation about something you've never had dealings with is what usually leds to restraining orders....:)

I will often express an admiration for someone, but it's very much in the same way that I admire ceiling of the Cistine Chapel as a work of art - very beautiful but impractical to have in my life. :)

To admire something of beauty isn't problematic; to obsess on possessing it is.

Joe

Yeah, agree with that. I think that to obsess over something or someone is just asking for trouble, and probably indicates that something is missing in your life.

What I'm referring to isn't that kind of obsession, not having to read everything about them and wacth everything they're in... Just seeing something in someone... you might never watch them again, or read about them, but just some sort of strange connection and involvement at that time of watching... The kind of thing that would inspire you to write a song... hmm... I'll see what my therapist says. :loopy:

This is something I've never understood, how can some-one be infatuated with, have a connection to, love some-one that they have never met and in all liklihood are never going to meet. I like Jamie Lee Curtis but this is based on films and the odd interview I've seen if I met her in real life I might not like her at all. I'd prefer to get a connection to the girl in the local shop or some-one where it might actually lead to something.

Living in California, I've seen my share of celebs. And sometimes...they're not as nice as they seem on TV or in the movies.

And sometimes, they don't look like they do on TV or in the movies.

My one exception to this, is the time I ran (literally) into Jeff Bridges while skiing.

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/entertainment/film/biographies/jeff_bridges_biog.html

He was friendly and gracious. Inquiring if I was ok, even though I had knocked the poor guy down, and the collision was entirely my fault!

He's also quite tall, and I thought better looking in person. :love:

My husband is also a Jamie Lee Curtis fan. A couple of years ago, we saw her and her daughter in a juice bar in Los Angeles. While she didn't look bad, she did look her age. She was nice to the people who recognized her, and asked for autographs, or wanted to talk, telling her how much they liked her films, etc. (my husband was too shy to approach her, despite prodding from me. lol)

I could see how that might be annoying, but she handled it very well, and her daughter seemed used to it. It would be scary, though. To have someone you don't know obsessed with you.

Wallbuilder, sounds like you're more firmly rooted in reality than some people!

:) Sierra

Archived