"I was having my usual actress problem/infatuation kind of thing"

Originally posted by WallBuilder

This is something I've never understood, how can some-one be infatuated with, have a connection to, love some-one that they have never met and in all liklihood are never going to meet. I like Jamie Lee Curtis but this is based on films and the odd interview I've seen if I met her in real life I might not like her at all. I'd prefer to get a connection to the girl in the local shop or some-one where it might actually lead to something.

Yeah, I'm sort of split on this thing. When I was younger I never understood the obsession with bands and such, and I've never understood how people can become obsessed with people they don't know.

However, I recently watched a film and was extremely attracted to an actress, to the point of infatuation, and began to rethink the whole thing, and it seems that I am far from alone... I was wondering if this is a part of normal human nature. That is why I began this thread... just a lighthearted thing. :)

I used to have a thing for a certain boy band when I was younger and it got stupid...after that I don't think I have ever had an infatuation to that extent.

However things are verging on the ridiculous at the moment with Gerard Butler...mmmmmm out of ten I would give him one :hihi::heyhey: Whether or not he would return the sentiment is an entirely different matter :confused:

Moon

Originally posted by Snook

Hmm... OK, this thread has come about after reading several things. One was the love at first sight thread, another was the weather presenter thread in which someone is in love with a news presenter... these things got me to thinking about an actress infatuation incident that happened to me recently. I was watching a film, and go so involved that I started to become rather infatuated with the actress... or maybe the character, not sure...

Anyway, with these things in mind, I then read a story about the Counting Crows lead singer Adam Duritz and how he wrote the song 'Mrs Potters Lullaby' about the actress Monica Potter...

"I came up with the chorus music and the first chorus. And then I stopped and said to myself, "How can I write a whole song about someone I don't even know? It's not gonna go anywhere, it's a total dead end. It's automatically trite and false." But I was enthralled with it. I wondered what else I could do."

Snipped

It's the beauty of been able to make bio-graphical writing work extremely well. It's a rare talent IMO.

On one occasion I really wanted to ask Adam about Mrs Potters but I knew it would be a waste of time because he would have been as coy as ever.

Originally posted by Lickszz

It's the beauty of been able to make bio-graphical writing work extremely well. It's a rare talent IMO.

On one occasion I really wanted to ask Adam about Mrs Potters but I knew it would be a waste of time because he would have been as coy as ever.

Yeah, it's true, and I don't think he has ever said who it is himself. Unfortunately for him it wasn't hard for people to put two and two together.

It's a bit like the song 'barely out of Tuesday' that I'm sure you know (one of my favorite songs) that Adam won't release because he hates the ex-girlfriend that he wrote it with and never wonts to see her name on one of his records. I don't think he ever divulged who the woman was, but unfortunately David Gibbs released the song and the writing credits were Duritz and Cox... at the time he was dating Courtney Cox. Mystery over.

Adam stated not so long ago that he really likes BOOT and did perform it has recently has 2003. Courtney Cox is also believed to be Monkey and with the amount of times Monkey and trees are referred to in even the latest material it's obvious that he still dislikes her quite a bit.

Originally posted by Lickszz

Adam stated not so long ago that he really likes BOOT and did perform it has recently has 2003. Courtney Cox is also believed to be Monkey and with the amount of times Monkey and trees are referred to in even the latest material it's obvious that he still dislikes her quite a bit.

Ahh, Like in Holiday in Spain... "Cause she liked to scream at me - Man, it's a miracle that she's not living up in a tree"

I have to say Hey Monkey is one of my favourite songs too, so I have obviously gained alot from his failed relationship with the Friends star. :) (I love the video to Long December too with her in)

Yep, it's a shame that his best writing seems to come from his unhappiness.

An often overlooked track is Ghost Train. Many aren't keen on it, but I really like how lyrics are written and the meaning behind the song. Couped with the fact that Adam at a gig looked at me, smiled and said "How do you do" at the start of the song. It's seldom on the setlist though.

Ok, maybe you could rename this thread "I was having my usual actress problem/infatuation kind of thing" + Counting Crows chat. But hey, It's my topic, so I'll go off it.

I've never been a massive fan of Ghost Train, but I enjoyed it more once I knew more about its meanings. And, as I've just posted in the saddest song thread, once I heard the story behind Anna Begins (Holiday romance, having to leave someone you have fallen hopelessly in love with) it meant so much more to me.

Sorry if I'm going back onto topic, but I totally know what you mean. I'm not really an infatuation type person, but a few years ago (but not THAT long ago), I became infactuated with Benicio Del Toro after watching Snatch (he was "Frankie Four Fingers"). I saw the film about 4 times at the pictures, then bought a DVD player so I could own it 3 months before it came out on video. Then I went on to buy everything he'd ever been in. Yak! It's making me cringe to remember...

Anyway, the final thing was, I'd heard that Paula Yates had kept a picture of Michael Hutchens on her fridge for years - well look at them, they got together! So I figured if I plastered my fridge with pictures of him, a little Paula magic might rub off.... But, in hindsight, look what happened to them, it's perhaps a good job we never DID meet...!

Needless to say, my mates took the p**s, I was a total laughing stock, and I eventually got real. But I still think he's gorgeous. Infatuations aint healthy though.

Archived