Sheff Utd almost in Europe 1974-75

canadablade

Who's been re-writing football history?

United never mounted a title challenge - they had a late run and finished 6th.

And a win at Brum wouldn't have meant a place in the UEFA Cup. Only the champs qualified for the European Cup, and the UEFA Cup places went to 2nd, 3rd, 4th and the League Cup Winners (Villa).

A win at Brum (unless by something like 10 - 0) would have meant United finishing 5th in 74/75 (remember only 2 points for a win in those days).

http://www.fchd.info/lghist/fl/fl1975.htm

If I remember correctly the number of points Derby got for the title was the lowest ever - and they clinched the title with a 0-0 draw at home to relegated Carlisle.

And come 75/76 United were as good as relegated at Christmas.

Not going to argue with you LongCol about something that happened over 30 years ago but check the table you posted for us.

Nobody has been trying to re-write history as you put it, we needed to WIN at Brum 1-0 to get into Europe.

Liverpool won the Cup so they wouldn't have gone into the UEFA Cup and with a win and another point the Blades would have finished 5th and took the 4th European spot up :nod:

That would explain why we took over 6,000 to Birmingham on the Tuesday night and a young CB was one of them, Couldn't see us taking that many if we had to win 10-0 :hihi::hihi:

Hopefully Bladebloke can shed more light on this for us but, I am 100% sure we only needed a win that night :huh:

As for the 1975-76 season, yes we were almost relegated by Christmas, thats the season they opened the Laver stand and with us going down it crippled SUFC for years. CB and Dad had a season ticket that season, It all went Pete Tong from the 1st match of the season with running battles on the pitch with Derby County.Quite possibly the worst ever season in Sheff Utd History

http://www.statto.com/teams/results.php?id=692&yr=105

Regards CB

If I remember correctly the number of points Derby got for the title was the lowest ever - and they clinched the title with a 0-0 draw at home to relegated Carlisle.

And come 75/76 United were as good as relegated at Christmas.

Not going to argue with you LongCol about something that happened over 30 years ago but check the table you posted for us.

Nobody has been trying to re-write history as you put it, we needed to WIN at Brum 1-0 to get into Europe.

Liverpool won the Cup so they wouldn't have gone into the UEFA Cup and with a win and another point the Blades would have finished 5th and took the 4th European spot up :nod:

That would explain why we took over 6,000 to Birmingham on the Tuesday night and a young CB was one of them, Couldn't see us taking that many if we had to win 10-0 :hihi::hihi:

Hopefully Bladebloke can shed more light on this for us but, I am 100% sure we only needed a win that night :huh:

As for the 1975-76 season, yes we were almost relegated by Christmas, thats the season they opened the Laver stand and with us going down it crippled SUFC for years. CB and Dad had a season ticket that season, It all went Pete Tong from the 1st match of the season with running battles on the pitch with Derby County.Quite possibly the worst ever season in Sheff Utd History

Frigg me it mustve been a bad un cos u aint exactly been ordering extra trophy cabinets since then have ya

As for the 1975-76 season, yes we were almost relegated by Christmas, thats the season they opened the Laver stand and with us going down it crippled SUFC for years.

Quite possibly the worst ever season in Sheff Utd History

Retribution from the Gods, for kicking Yorkshire County Cricket Club out!

Without them forming you in the 1880's you wouldn't have even existed, and how did you repay them? Sent them to Abbeydale.

Imagine all thoswe ghosts around the place that season.

Bobby Peel (whose actions every Wednesdayite has dearly wished to emulate ever since) putting a bit of moisture in the pitch, and Geroge Hirst getting it to swing! I bet they were all there!

I remember that season well. I also remember being in the little 3 tuns and some blade lad who I knew well at the time but for the life of me cant remember his name now - saying - yeh we are definately going places this season - indeed. I hate predictions like that. Reminds me of Kevin Keegan commentating on England - something along the lines of, there is no way we can loose this match now - doh!

Regards CB

Hi CB

Liverpool won the cup in 1974 (end of 73/74 season) so qualified for the cup winners cup in 74/75.

West Ham won the cup in 75 and therefore were in the cup winners cup 75/76.

So a 5th place finish for United in 74/75 would not have qualified them for the 75/76 UEFA cup - 2nd, 3rd & 4th plus League Cup winners qualified.

Regards Longcol

Hi CB

Liverpool won the cup in 1974 (end of 73/74 season) so qualified for the cup winners cup in 74/75.

West Ham won the cup in 75 and therefore were in the cup winners cup 75/76.

So a 5th place finish for United in 74/75 would not have qualified them for the 75/76 UEFA cup - 2nd, 3rd & 4th plus League Cup winners qualified.

Regards Longcol

a win would have got us in europe. we could have finished 4th above everton with a single goal win and qualified. don't forget you had to be einstein in those days to work goal differance out. it was'nt as easy as goals for - goals against. it was something daft to do with percentages. my old dad told me you pigs once got relegated by summet like 1/1000 of a goal. even i dont know how yer work that out.

a quote from a book i got for crimbo.

quote len badger /

we just missed out on europe in furphys 1st season. we needed two points at birmingham and we ended up drawing after tony currie missed a sitter. he went round 3 players and side footed the ball past the post. it was late in the game and if that had gone in, we'd have been playing in europe. i'll never forgive tc for denying me the chance to play in europe. unquote.

a win would have got us in europe. we could have finished 4th above everton with a single goal win and qualified.

a quote from a book i got for crimbo.

quote len badger /

we just missed out on europe in furphys 1st season. we needed two points at birmingham and we ended up drawing after tony currie missed a sitter. he went round 3 players and side footed the ball past the post. it was late in the game and if that had gone in, we'd have been playing in europe. i'll never forgive tc for denying me the chance to play in europe. unquote.

Cheers BB I just knew you would have the answer :banana::banana::clap::clap::partyhat: