Parked buses clogging up city centre stops?

Incident happened today on Leopold Street bus stop outside Zavvi.

I was waiting for an 82 to Bents Green along with 2 elderly, infirm members of the public.

However two Stagecoach buses (83 & 88 I think) were just parked in the bus stop for several minutes blocking vision of other buses coming down Leopold St and making access to them if they were stopped very difficult.

One of the elderly ladies did manage to stop a Powells 82, She had to go into the middle of the road to do so in front of the parked 83. Very dangerous.

I waited for a First 82 which I did see coming several minutes later.

The other elderly lady started panicking thinking she wouldnt get that bus.

I being fully fit and younger ran to the back of the parked Stagecoach buses to flag down the First 82.

The disabled elderly lady had to limp approximately 20 metres to get access to the First Bus all because of the parked Stagecoaches.

If I wasn't there she wouldnt have got the bus.

Are Stagecoach buses allowed to just sit in the bus stops for several minutes (with engines running of course)?

They are a hazard to pedestrians at bus stops and they contribute to environmental pollution just sat with their engines running.

Are Stagecoach buses allowed to just sit in the bus stops for several minutes (with engines running of course)?

I would doubit it, although only SYPTE could give you a definitive answer. [email protected]

First seem to do the same sort of thing on High Street and Arundel Gate when the buses come in early and often the Stagecoach or TM Travel buses I get cannot get anywhere near the bus stop.

At the end of the day, people would complain if the buses left early, the bigger issue I think is the design and layout of the road system in town along with poorly thought out bus stop allocation.

And then of course whoever at the council designed the roads around the new look railway station with no coach bays for rail replacement coach services to use...

First seem to do the same sort of thing on High Street and Arundel Gate when the buses come in early and often the Stagecoach or TM Travel buses I get cannot get anywhere near the bus stop.

At the end of the day, people would complain if the buses left early, the bigger issue I think is the design and layout of the road system in town along with poorly thought out bus stop allocation.

:D WELL SAID ! since the the early 1970's when some clown desided it would be a great idea to pedestrianize most of the city centre buses have been pushed out of routes though the city, we are now at breaking point where if anyone sneezes, farts , or coughs the whole of the city centre comes grinding to a halt and the buses get stuck :rant:

And then of course whoever at the council designed the roads around the new look railway station with no coach bays for rail replacement coach services to use...

Tell me about it!!!!

Many a time I have seen people with 2 maybe 3 suitcases having to try and rush along right up to where you have to catch the replacement bus services. I tried it the other week with a young kid. You have no chance!

Surely they have some space around the train station for coaches? What about where that building site is that nothing is really happening?

I think the inspectors, who are often 'hanging about' in Leopold Street encourage this practice of blocking bus stops, as it prevents the opposition pulling up and 'shephards' passengers onto their bus companies buses .. its usually Worst Mainline inspectors who do this in my opinion.

I agree the city centre is often clogged up with parked buses, both First and Stagecoach types. I was on an 88 going along Leopold St and there were several buses parked at the 'Zaavi' stop. Our bus stopped and filled up with

a lot of passengers to the point of bursting. During this another 88 went sailing by practically empty! Our bus even left people who couldn't get on at the stop. I don't see why buses have to wait at stops around town especially Leopold St, Arundle gate and High St

if they are meant to 'run to time' why cant they just stop at the end of the route, and let's face it, do they ever run to time anyway.

This practice of parking at stops with engines running not only clogs up the city street during busy periods, but also makes it dangerous and irritating for waiting passengers to flag down passing buses - as the OP stated - for elderly and disbled people, this is especially dangerous.

Oh this gets me hopping mad! The bus stop by Moorfoot is terrible for this - not only is it about 8 yards from a blind bend so you must stand there with eyes peeled in case your bus sails past, but you must fly across the pavement waving like a loonie to get one to stop. If one of the Stagecoach buses to High Green is parked up as usual then you're buggered.

Not only can you miss your bus but if your driver spots you and does stop, then anyone elderly or with a pram has to get help to get onboard.

I was talking to a TM driver a while back and he said Sheffield is terrible because so many bus stops are "multi-bus" which is the cause of all the congestion - the bus stop outside Plug is apparently the bus drivers' Most Hated and they hope nobody is waiting there because it's a nightmare. There is also nowhere apart from the stops for drivers to halt if they are early on a 'time' stop - so no wonder the bus schedules are to ****!

Between Decathlon and Plug especially there needs to be about four times as many stops, even if the side of the street just becomes one huge bus stop!

It's ironic that we have these super-wide pavements because invariably you end up having to walk because the buses have nowhere to stop!

Oh this gets me hopping mad! The bus stop by Moorfoot is terrible for this - not only is it about 8 yards from a blind bend so you must stand there with eyes peeled in case your bus sails past, but you must fly across the pavement waving like a loonie to get one to stop. If one of the Stagecoach buses to High Green is parked up as usual then you're buggered.

Not only can you miss your bus but if your driver spots you and does stop, then anyone elderly or with a pram has to get help to get onboard.

I was talking to a TM driver a while back and he said Sheffield is terrible because so many bus stops are "multi-bus" which is the cause of all the congestion - the bus stop outside Plug is apparently the bus drivers' Most Hated and they hope nobody is waiting there because it's a nightmare. There is also nowhere apart from the stops for drivers to halt if they are early on a 'time' stop - so no wonder the bus schedules are to ****!

Between Decathlon and Plug especially there needs to be about four times as many stops, even if the side of the street just becomes one huge bus stop!

It's ironic that we have these super-wide pavements because invariably you end up having to walk because the buses have nowhere to stop!

There was a bus stop where the registry office was which took the 41, 42, 97, 98, 76, 75, 88, 83 etc but the council took this away for the tall apartment block and car park and have not reinstated it. Combine the fact the council seem to not be able to understand that busses need to have somewhere to wait if early no wonder this city is a joke!

I would doubit it, although only SYPTE could give you a definitive answer. [email protected]

It depends on the carriageway markings. If the yellow paint says Bus Stop, then they are limited as to how long they can wait. If it states Bus Stand then they are allowed to wait there in accordance with the plate at the side of the road. The carriageway markings are SCC Highways.

Good luck if you do expect an answer off SYPTE.