St Luke's bid for Graves Park / Norton Nurseries

Do you support St Luke's bid?  

486 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support St Luke's bid?

• Yes
    • No

This is a good news story

It just goes to show that letter writing, talking to your councillor and spreading the word can defeat the forces of fibbing sometimes!

Hurrah! An extra portion of corn for this goose tonight!

:)

Great News folks I've updated my avatar..lol not sure if any one can read it though.

It was the sign which has since been removed from the Hemsworth Road/Derbyshire Lane entrance to the park.

(This will be my next letter to the council to make sure the sign is returned to its rightful place)

It reads

City of Sheffield

Graves Park

This Park which covers 91.9 Hectares was presented to the city

by the late Alderman JG Graves

Cheers folks I will be having a celebratory kick about with my son in the park tonight.

I am pretty happy with the statement as far as it goes. However it is not that definitive. WE WILL NOT BUILD IN THE PARK statement that we are looking for.

I don't think that this is anything sinister. It is likely that faced with Paul Scrivens insistence that the park is not an option this is stage one of the "break it to the shareholders" of how we cocked up badly and blew a huge chunk of dosh on a lame horse.

Hopefully before long that cast iron guarantee will be forthcoming. We need it to press ahead with our fundraising, and if we don't get it we will be upping the pressure again.

Hopefully there will be more to report tomorrow morning. In the meentime please keep the comments going to the Star etc to let people know what you think of this whole fiasco.

Great News folks I've updated my avatar..lol not sure if any one can read it though.

It was the sign which has since been removed from the Hemsworth Road/Derbyshire Lane entrance to the park.

(This will be my next letter to the council to make sure the sign is returned to its rightful place)

It reads

City of Sheffield

Graves Park

This Park which covers 91.9 Hectares was presented to the city

by the late Alderman JG Graves

Cheers folks I will be having a celebratory kick about with my son in the park tonight.

Another thing to update; http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/out--about/parks-woodlands--countryside/parks/a-z-city-district--local--parks/graves-park

Location: Graves Park is located 3 miles south of Sheffield City Centre.

Size: 83.45 hectares, the city's largest public park.

8.45 hectares difference?

Article from the Star

CONTROVERSIAL plans by St Luke's Hospice to relocate to Graves Park have been dropped, it was revealed today.

Hospice bosses have agreed to put on hold plans of relocating to the Norton Nurseries site in a southern corner of the park.

The new Lib Dem council made clear it would not sanction the move - in contrast to the previous Labour administration which supported the proposals.

Interestingly they are putting the plans on hold. 2yr hold anyone??

Yes I think jumping for joy shouldn't be done to soon here, they haven't actually withdrawn, just put it on hold.

Well done to all those involved, and to the new administration at the council for putting it (and hopefully other similar sites) beyond the reach of redevelopment.

The Lib-Dems have only been in two weeks - it obviously wasn't that difficult when it came down to it... :)

Now, who's for a post-mortem on what's gone before?

Indeed so Tony, it appears that the previous legal 'advice' had no merit as the current legal advice that the leader sought contradicted Liz Bashforths previous statements.

Oh dear, she must have been in error:suspect:

so, there's this:

"St Luke's Hospice is launching its most important campaign ever and we need your support"

http://www.shef.ac.uk/eview/articles-76/charities.html

I posted a couple of extracts earlier, but just spotted this one too (my underlining)

"The Norton Nurseries site has been made known to us by the City Council as having the type of site characteristics needed. This site can be acquired legally and, with the full support of the Charity Commissioners, can be available to St Luke's at a reasonable cost. Having considered the possibility of upgrading the current building and having reviewed over 7 sites around Sheffield, the Hospice Trustees and their professional advisors have concluded that Norton Nurseries is the best possible location for St. Luke´s. Now that the Charity Commission has indicated that such a scheme is possible, St Luke´s has made a formal request to Sheffield City Council asking them to consider our proposal.

Hello Henry, do you happen to know the date the article first appeared and the author? It is no longer on the University website.