What are they building in the bus station

Have you not read reports that there is to be a sharp economic downturn in 2008.

Other than the office block planned for the former site of Office World on Eyre Street can you tell me about any other grade A private office development for private corporations that are definately going ahead in 2008?

Have you not read all the reports saying Sheffield looks likely to buck this trend? (Obviously all the reports both negative and positive have to be looked at objectively, not sure you're doing this though).

There's the office world block - 100,000 sqft, St Paul Place 2 & 3 - both about 60,000 sqft, Savile House - 110,000 sqft, the E-Campus (what this thread is about) - 600,000 sqft, St. Mary's Gate - 60,000 sqft, Chesham House - ?60,000 sqft?, The Courts - 60,000 sqft, V2 & 3 both about 70,000sqft. And so the list goes on...

That's not including smaller schemes such as The Gateway, Velocity Tower or various apartment blocks which have office in them up to about 30,000 sqft.

Also, the West Bar development which will deliver about 1 million sqft of office space should get approval at the start of this year.

So yes there IS a lot of office space under construction, which if filled WILL bring permanent jobs to the city.

Actually, I would go as far as saying there's more office space under construction than residential.

You beat me to it Paul.

... what an idiot.

I would just like to support Paulmat's post by saying that there is such a demand for new Grade A, office space in sheffield that many under construction office blocks are already bought and will be full as soon as they are released to the buyer.

And just incase you now think there's nothing but apartments and offices going up;

Retail/Leisure:

Sevenstone will be starting construction this year - 860,000 sqft,

work has already started on the redevelopment of the Moor - 1 million sqft+,

the NUM building will be replaced with offices and retail/leisure space (don't know how much),

the West Bar development will have 170,000 sqft of retail and leisure

and most of the apartment blocks going up have retail units on the ground floor.

How about some more permanent jobs (and bring in more tourists) - Hotels:

Our first 5* hotel should start construction this year - This will help make Sheffield more of a business destination, especially as Leeds, Liverpool, Newcastle, Nottingham, Leicester and more don't have one,

there's the Office World site hotel,

St Marys gate,

Bramall Lane,

another on the riverside,

a 4 or 5* outside the station,

and once again, that all singing all dancing West Bar development will have another 4 or 5*

Right then, I know a lof of you like to believe the council is anti-car, but here's some multi-storey car parks they're building:

Arundel Gate,

Eyre Street,

Charter Row,

Scotland Street,

Park Hill,

and at least two are planned as part of the West Bars development

I know rugs will still denounce all that's happening in Sheffield, but hopefully it will show some people that our city centre is evolving from a wasteland into what should be a thriving centre attracting jobs, and people from all across the country. :)

i only wanted to find out what the bilding was not start a debate :hihi:

You can never manage that on the SheffieldForum. ;)

How many workers per 1000sq ft of office space ? Will all this new office space be taken by relocation of existing city companies or will there thousands of new jobs ?

How will the local transport/road system cope ? One thing I don't see are plans for any new roads and the council are busy blocking many of the old routes. Apparently all traffic now has to pass through Cutler's Gate ;)

Well the number of workers per 1,000 sqft varies quite a bit. In a tightly packed call centre you could get quite a few more than somewhere with a lot of desk space.

As an example of size, if you've been into the new H&M or River Island in town, they're about 20,000 sqft, TK Maxx is 18,000 sqft and Virgin is something similar. So if you imagine these with desks in, you can guess how many you will fit in. ;)

I'm afraid I couldn't say whether the space will be taken by local companies, or new ones. I would imagine there will be some companies already in the city wanting new space, but this could also open up room for those to expand.

And with the local transport links, yeah I do agree they need some work on them.

Not forgetting that many current Sheffield companies will gain more business from the new companies which will also create extra jobs.

i only wanted to find out what the bilding was not start a debate :hihi:

Count yourself lucky no one's mentioned muslims yet :hihi:

And just incase you now think there's nothing but apartments and offices going up;

Retail/Leisure:

Sevenstone will be starting construction this year - 860,000 sqft,

work has already started on the redevelopment of the Moor - 1 million sqft+,

the NUM building will be replaced with offices and retail/leisure space (don't know how much),

the West Bar development will have 170,000 sqft of retail and leisure

and most of the apartment blocks going up have retail units on the ground floor.

How about some more permanent jobs (and bring in more tourists) - Hotels:

Our first 5* hotel should start construction this year - This will help make Sheffield more of a business destination, especially as Leeds, Liverpool, Newcastle, Nottingham, Leicester and more don't have one,

there's the Office World site hotel,

St Marys gate,

Bramall Lane,

another on the riverside,

a 4 or 5* outside the station,

and once again, that all singing all dancing West Bar development will have another 4 or 5*

Right then, I know a lof of you like to believe the council is anti-car, but here's some multi-storey car parks they're building:

Arundel Gate,

Eyre Street,

Charter Row,

Scotland Street,

Park Hill,

and at least two are planned as part of the West Bars development

I know rugs will still denounce all that's happening in Sheffield, but hopefully it will show some people that our city centre is evolving from a wasteland into what should be a thriving centre attracting jobs, and people from all across the country. :)

:hihi: I think Paulmat and Unisol are, as usual, living in fantasy land.

The stats you've used only impress the people who have a vested interest in these developments and the naive!

There are lots of wills and coulds in there Paulmat and, as I'm sure you know but are scared to admit, these schemes are reliant on the state of the national economy which will ultimately decide what gets built and what doesn't despite the positive spin put on Sheffield's future economic state by faceless beaurocrats that are unaccountable and unreachable to the Sheffield public.

You know, as well as I do, that for every temporary, glossy, shiny new development that gets built, another part of the city suffers. For most jobs created, a similar number are lost elsewhere in the immediate locality.

While ever you remain on here putting a positive spin on mediocre redevelopment schemes, I'll be here to bring some much needed balance to the debate.;)

:hihi: I think Paulmat and Unisol are, as usual, living in fantasy land.

The stats you've used only impress the people who have a vested interest in these developments and the naive!

There are lots of wills and coulds in there Paulmat and, as I'm sure you know but are scared to admit, these schemes are reliant on the state of the national economy which will ultimately decide what gets built and what doesn't despite the positive spin put on Sheffield's future economic state by faceless beaurocrats that are unaccountable and unreachable to the Sheffield public.

You know, as well as I do, that for every temporary, glossy, shiny new development that gets built, another part of the city suffers. For most jobs created, a similar number are lost elsewhere in the immediate locality.

While ever you remain on here putting a positive spin on mediocre redevelopment schemes, I'll be here to bring some much needed balance to the debate.;)

You're not from Leeds by any chance? :rolleyes: