TV Licensing - Surveillance Society

Do you agree with the tv license.  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with the tv license.

• Yes
    • No

No, TVL were criminalising, not the BBC. If you are going to attack people please get the right ones....

The BBC TV Licensing team at White City recently produced an extensive 964 page manual guide to handling complaints against the tactics used by TV Licensing. It is this team of people, led by BBC employee Pipa Doubtfire, that are responsible for the policy which criminalises over a million properties as 'evaders'.

I've just been "crunching the numbers" again, on the 'TV Licensing Annual Review 2007/2008'

According to TVL's FOI figures, in 2007/8, there were 24,740,047 licences in force.

I don't think anyone will object if, for convenience, we round it down by 47 licences :confused:

So, if we subtract 24.74 million licences, from their 26.1 million "licenseable base", we are left with 1.36 million unlicensed properties.

We already know, from earlier posts, that there are 1.3 million properties, which TVL label "unlicensed properties - evaders".

What's the betting, that the 0.06 million (60 thousand) are those properties that have been confirmed, by search, to be LLF :confused:

It doesn't clearly state in that report (well, not that I can see anyway) whether the 26.1million "licensable base" is all properties, or only the 98% of properties which require a licence.

If it is only the 98%, there's 522,000 LLF properties, which they're not classing as evaders.

I think its a con, a tax and its unfair.

It should be scrapped.

http://www.uttoxeteradvertiser.co.uk/News/Guinea-pig-activist-faces-trial-over-TV-licence-fee.htm

If you have been unfairly maligned by the BBC, should that excuse you from having to pay a licence to them?

I can't say if, in this specific case, the woman has been unfairly maligned; I can only say that she claims to have been.

(and please don't complain about me resurrecting a long-dead thread. I was about to post this on Tatman's brand-new thread, but it was closed and we directed to here.)

I recently found out that Capita handle the TV licensing. I wonder if there's any connection between them and their heavy handed approach to people who don't want to watch TV?

Has it got any more heavy handed of late? I have always had innumerable problems trying to convince the licensing authorities that an empty property with nobody living in it, does not contain a television.

Has the BBC ever banned anyone from buying a TV licence ?

Serious question.

Serious question.

I don't believe they can. However I couldn't say for certain.

Threads merged - please note a poll posted by Tatman has now been added.

TV Licensing bosses launch appeal to find Huddersfield’s 110 black and white TV users

ARE you one of the 110 households in Huddersfield still getting your fix of TV in black and white? If so TV Licensing bosses want to hear from you.

But there’s nothing to worry about – it’s all for a survey of those who prefer their telly fix in monochrome. As of last year more than 28,000 households across the UK stubbornly refused to upgrade to colour sets and telly chiefs say they want to know why.

A spokeswoman from TV Licensing said they were really keen to hear from people who were still hanging on to the old fashioned black and white boxes. She said: “We find it difficult to find people who have black and white TVs still.

“We don’t know who exactly has them and we want to find out why they have kept them all these years? Especially with the 40th anniversary of the World Cup being filmed in colour coming up, we really want to know why they’re hanging onto those old tellys and not changing to colour? Whether you don’t have the heart to get rid of your black and white set or simply prefer the old to the new, TV Licensing would like to hear from you.”

Despite many developments in new ways of watching TV and sales of flat screen sets soaring, the figures show black and white sets are not ready for the dump just yet.

http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/local-west-yorkshire-news/2010/04/23/tv-licensing-bosses-launch-appeal-to-find-huddersfield-s-110-black-and-white-tv-users-86081-26299660/

So, BBC TV Licensing, with all its amazing technology that can pinpoint which room a television is being used in - and what channel is being watched, needs to appeal to its customers to tell them who they are and where they live.

It should all be in the database. A colour TV licence costs £145.50. A black and white licence just £49.00. The database includes details of names, addresses and type of licence purchased.

Why is it regarded as "stubborn" to watch a black and white television and refuse to pay nearly £100 more to the BBC parasites?

Serious question.

No. But the BBC has banned people from not purchasing its poor quality content.

Edited by INTERVIEWER