Snowfalls are now just a thing of the past

Amusing attempt at "prediction"/global warming propaganda from The Independent:

Snowfalls are now just a thing of the past

However, the warming is so far manifesting itself more in winters which are less cold than in much hotter summers. According to Dr David Viner, a senior research scientist at the climatic research unit (CRU) of the University of East Anglia,within a few years winter snowfall will become "a very rare and exciting event".

"Children just aren't going to know what snow is," he said.

The effects of snow-free winter in Britain are already becoming apparent. This year, for the first time ever, Hamleys, Britain's biggest toyshop, had no sledges on display in its Regent Street store. "It was a bit of a first," a spokesperson said.

David Parker, at the Hadley Centre for Climate Prediction and Research in Berkshire, says ultimately, British children could have only virtual experience of snow. Via the internet, they might wonder at polar scenes - or eventually "feel" virtual cold.

LINK

Meanwhile in the real world, we have lots of non-virtual snow, thanks to the following:

# a quiet sun (fewer sunspots)

# cooling oceans

# a cooling atmosphere

# cold PDO (Pacific Decadal Oscillation)

# more frequent La Niñas

# increased volcanism

And all this with the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere having risen from 369 parts per million to 387 ppm (parts per million) since 2007.

Maybe it's not quite as simplistic as Al "the science is settled" Gore would have us believe.

Amusing attempt at "prediction"/global warming propaganda from The Independent:

LINK

What idiotic predictions! I know very little about climate science, but even I know it's more complicated than that. The current cold weather is a result of the positioning of the jet stream, which seems to have settled it's self into a pattern during the last three years where it stays to the east of us during the summer, so we get wet atlantic weather but miss the continental heat waves, and then shifts to the west during the winter so we get siberian and arctic weather fronts. Worst of boith worlds.

This neither demonstrates that there is nor that there isn't global warming. What it does show is that there are a multitude of factors which effect local weather patterns, and by failing to take this account, this bloke has completely blown his own credibility as a scienctist.

Edited by donkey

Its funny how the whole debate went into overdrive when we had a few hot summers in the US and EU sometime in the late 80's. Then we were told that the UK would have a climate more akin to Spain.

Environmentalism (which I agree with) has been taken over by the climate change groups and re-branded as their own, when in fact it is not. One thing is true though, the climate change apostles will never admit they were wrong. They will simply ignore the inconvenient facts in favour of their own agenda.

Lastly governments have seen the issue as a way to foist new taxation onto the masses under the guise of green taxation which swaths of the population have swallowed hook like a sinker.

Too many people have too much invested in the whole industry now for it to be disregarded, but we the tax paying population will pay the price for others arrogance and bloody mindedness, just because they are incapable of admitting they were wrong.

What idiotic predictions! I know sod all about climate science, but even I know it's more complicated than that. The current cold weather is a result of the positioning of the jet stream, which seems to have settled it's self into a pattern during the last three years where it stays to the east of us during the summer, so we get wet atlantic weather but miss the continental heat waves, and then sheifts to the west during the winter so we get siberian and arctic weather frionts. worst of boith worlds.

This neither demonstrates that there is nor that there isn't global warmibng. What it showqs is that there are a multitude of factors which effect local weather patterns, and by failing to take this account, this bloke has completely his own credibility as a scienctist.

The north Atlantic jet stream has been there since time immemorial and the UK is not the only country experiencing colder winters.

The north Atlantic jet stream has been there since time immemorial and the UK is not the only country experiencing colder winters.

I didn't say it wasn't there before. I said it has been fluctuating from the east to the west of the UK over the last few years. At the moment it is to the west of us, which is why we are getting cold weather from the north and east. But don't take my word for it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/hi/news/newsid_9223000/9223918.stm

Edited by donkey

Perhaps more evidence of global warming has come to light since that article, which was published in March 2000.

We're long past the stage of evidence. Nobody seriously argues about the fact of global warming any more, only over what, if anything, we can or should do about it.

It so happens that Britain, being positioned where it is, might actually get colder on the whole, but surely there is no-one here daft enough to look just at Britain's weather patterns and assume they represent the world.

We're long past the stage of evidence. Nobody seriously argues about the fact of global warming any more, only over what, if anything, we can or should do about it.

It so happens that Britain, being positioned where it is, might actually get colder on the whole, but surely there is no-one here daft enough to look just at Britain's weather patterns and assume they represent the world.

Indeed.

Although, i think the biggest argument is not so much whether it is happening or not, nor what we can do about it but whether it is 'Man made' or not.

Personally, i believe climate change is nature at work, it has happened many times in the past and will continue to do so in the future. There is no reason why this time should be any different and the 'evidence' to support 'man made' CC is very dubious indeed. So much so, in recent years there has been quite a noticable shift within the beliefs of the scientists involved within the research.

All i know for certain, its bloody cold! :D

I didn't say it wasn't there before. I said it has been fluctuating from the east to the west of the UK over the last few years. At the moment it is to the west of us, which is why we are getting cold weather from the north and east. But don't take my word for it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/hi/news/newsid_9223000/9223918.stm

I can understand there are fluctuations, but they have also been happening for as long as anyone can remember. Are you saying that the experts in this field failed to calculate the influence of the jet stream into their predictions?

Are you also saying that the jet stream is the cause of the early snow in the Alps and Baltic?

Personally I'm not going to count my chickens just yet as last years cold weather was felt across the northern hemisphere but at present the current cold weather is only effecting a relatively small area. It could well be the start of a cold winter, but just as likely this is just a temporary deviation in our normal seasonal weather patterns.