Snowfalls are now just a thing of the past

We're long past the stage of evidence. Nobody seriously argues about the fact of global warming any more, only over what, if anything, we can or should do about it.

It so happens that Britain, being positioned where it is, might actually get colder on the whole, but surely there is no-one here daft enough to look just at Britain's weather patterns and assume they represent the world.

I think the OP was trying to highlight the disparity in the predictions when compared to the actual evidence over time. We have the ability with the internet to quickly find such remarks and compare them to how accurate they were.

Climate change may well be happening, but what was sold to the public less than 10 years ago appears, with current weather patterns, to be wrong.

Personally I would like to see these experts who coined the phrase "global warming" to admit where they got it wrong. The silence from the GW/CC fraternity on this subject does nothing for their argument, but I suspect they are unable to come out with any form of collective response as on the face of it they all have differing opinions anyway.

One thing is for sure, back in the 80's and early 90's anyone could have said the world was heating up. Over that short period it was, but the experts who have used billions of £ in research grants across the world appear less and less like experts every day.

I can understand there are fluctuations, but they have also been happening for as long as anyone can remember. Are you saying that the experts in this field failed to calculate the influence of the jet stream into their predictions?

Are you also saying that the jet stream is the cause of the early snow in the Alps and Baltic?

Personally I'm not going to count my chickens just yet as last years cold weather was felt across the northern hemisphere but at present the current cold weather is only effecting a relatively small area. It could well be the start of a cold winter, but just as likely this is just a temporary deviation in our normal seasonal weather patterns.

I'm not saying anything other than preciely what I said in my post. What is it in particular that makes you think I mean something other than what I wrote?

I'm not saying anything other than preciely what I said in my post. What is it in particular that makes you think I mean something other than what I wrote?

You said the last three years cold winters have been due to the jet stream, what I am saying is that may well be the case, but if the experts who predicted global warming did not take the jet stream and its unpredictability into account, then they failed to fully investigate the issue and should never have made such dire predictions.

You also failed to account for the cold winters experienced by other countries whose weather is not driven by the jet stream to such a degree like southern Europe or the US for that matter who all experience colder then average winters over the last few years.

You said the last three years cold winters have been due to the jet stream, what I am saying is that may well be the case, but if the experts who predicted global warming did not take the jet stream and its unpredictability into account, then they failed to fully investigate the issue and should never have made such dire predictions.

That's pretty much exactly what I said, with the slight difference that I was only refering to the scientist in the OP's link and not climate scientists in general.

That's pretty much exactly what I said, with the slight difference that I was only refering to the scientist in the OP's link and not climate scientists in general.

But you lay blame for the last 2 cold winters on the jet stream, however the UK was not alone in experiencing unseasonal cold weather.

But you lay blame for the last 2 cold winters on the jet stream, however the UK was not alone in experiencing unseasonal cold weather.

I dont disagree with this.. but the last 2 winters IMO have not been 'unseasonably cold'... they have been much like most of the winters i experienced as a kid.

I would say that the previous 10-15 winters have been 'unseasonably mild'... just mainly wet, windy and a wee bit chilly.... When iiiiiiiiii were a lad, deep snowfalls were an expected thing of the winter and typically, it would thaw through the day then freeze at night (usually with more snow) and be left with great big icicles hanging off the guttering. Before we had double glazing and Central heating, ice would form on the inside of the bedroom windows. People suffered burst pipes regularly and the quick visits to the bog were kept at an absolute minimum. :D

This isnt rose tinted glasses stuff... just true, winters as a kid were bloody cold and snowy... Just like now.

If the jet stream shifts in relation to the UK, it must obviously shift in realtion to other places. However, I don't understand what your point is? I stated in the OP that fluctuations in the jet steam were neither proof for or against global warming, and that there are many complex factors in climate science.

The point was that the scientist in the OP was being simple minded in the extreme by stating that climate change would inevitably briong warmer winters to the UK. It wasn't a wider statement or prediction concerning the climate.

Amusing attempt at "prediction"/global warming propaganda from The Independent:

LINK

Meanwhile in the real world, we have lots of non-virtual snow, thanks to the following:

# a quiet sun (fewer sunspots)

# cooling oceans

# a cooling atmosphere

# cold PDO (Pacific Decadal Oscillation)

# more frequent La Niñas

# increased volcanism

And all this with the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere having risen from 369 parts per million to 387 ppm (parts per million) since 2007.

Maybe it's not quite as simplistic as Al "the science is settled" Gore would have us believe.

He may still be right, UK temperatures are still on an upward trend.

http://hadobs.metoffice.com/hadcet/

And global temperatures are on an upward trend, with the last decade being the hottest and this year the hottest on record according to NASA

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11841368

Your list is rather curious.

The sun is cooling, which discounts one explanation for warming.

But it is wrong where it says sea temps are not increasingbecause quite clearly they are. :huh:

The list then claims the atmosphere is cooling, true in a way but only in the stratosphere above the greenhouse effect, at ground level it is warming. Indeed that is one of the indicators of the greenhouse effect.

Where did you get the list?

Edited by Wildcat