Network Rail find the key to the Dore

Found this story on railwayscene.co.uk, although cannot find a press release on the Network Rail website or any of the train operators websites!

Network Rail will start to ease one of Yorkshire's worst bottlenecks late in May, with the introduction of a double track section at Dore, Sheffield.

Currently the single line has up to eight trains an hour vying to use it, and with increased freight traffic to and from the Hope Valley, it is now becoming an increasing problem to operators First TransPennine Express and Central Trains, whose trains often suffer significant delay at this pinpoint.

Stuart Middleton, Network Rail Area Operations Manager for the Manchester area was delighted with the investment. "This will have a positive impact from Liverpool right through to Cleethorpes, the Dore single line has for too long been a problem for our express services and this will help significantly."

A second platform is to be commissioned at Dore for the westbound services, with the current platform for eastbound services.

Can't believe I missed that, I'm always on Railwayscene.

I can tell you that this has been in NR's boxes for some years now, and that it has been driving some mad for quite a while :)

I also hope they'll take time to give the station abck its name which is "Dore & Totley".

Originally posted by silverknight

Maybe the PTE may now chip in some money and relook at putting stations at Heeley and Millhouses with a park and ride service

If they were to do that, it would be a bigger project than that. To justify the investment, a more frequent local service would be required than the current Hope Valley line service which runs once every two hours.

That would mean leasing extra rolling stock and hiring extra staff, but then there is the question on where these extra trains go when they get to Dore. The Hope Valley line is at capacity due to the freight traffic. The trains could terminate at Dore, this would require upgrading the signalling to bi-directional and would swallow up capacity. Maybe a turnback siding could be built in the Totley Brook area?

Originally posted by Andy C

Network Rail will start to ease one of Yorkshire's worst bottlenecks late in May, with the introduction of a double track section at Dore, Sheffield

Will this just mean replacing the track which was lifted a few years ago?

At Last!!!!

Now all we need is a park & ride at the bottom of Twentywell Lane , 2 more platforms on the Chesterfield line to conect with some of the London trains and the tram exstended to the Railway station and we might have some form of transport system that works.

* please note that I have not added the name of First South Yorkshire Buses to this list as that company is in a world of its own.

Ie Money Money Money!!!!