House of Fraser to close 31 stores

Just reading House of Fraser to close 31 stores affecting 6,000 jobs, as part of a rescue deal. Another large company struggling to compete in today's market.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44394948

They have been struggling for two decades like Debenhams have ........having to lease floor space out to different franchises!........people are going to have to go back to making things last longer like they once did instead of, new this,upgrade that, every five minuets!

HOF has certainly faced the same issues as Debenhams no doubt, but I would disagree with the built to last, long term comments. I actually think the opposite effect is happening.

Its the fast fashion, quick turn, throw it away tomororw retailers which are booming. Primark is a prime example. As are online retailers Boohoo and ASOS.

People (particuarly the yoof) can buy a new outfit as protrayed by their favourite influencers made for pennies abroad and sold at a bargain price.

When they are bored with it or when the trends change, they bin it and get something else.

Those types of shoppers are not going anywhere near the ye-olde department stores to be given personal service by a Mrs Slocome-esque Assistant and spending £80 - £100 - £200 on some long lasting "classic" designed to be worn for years after. That's not their bag at all. They want to pick up what's trending on instagram the next day with no fuss and no hassle all with an intention of getting rid as soon as wind changes.

Even the highest end Department Stores are realising this. That's why Selfridges has had a Primark concession within their own stores. Harvey Nichols has certainly changed their stock over the years to focus on younger clients with a focus on more edgy stock. Their newer stores are nothing like what would be deemed traditional department store. They are much smaller, spaces, far less structured and with less staff.

Having looked at the list of HOF closures, I am not surprised by many of the locations picked. They mostly seem to be small provincial towns with ex Binns or Rackhams stores which were all desprately outdated and would have taken years to be turned around into the sort of modern retail environment demanded by today's customers.

I will say that one big surprise was the closures of Oxford Street and Birmingham. Those were stores which I would have thought would be deemed their flagship and best traders (similar to the prestige and footfall that Kendals in Manchester has). I can only assume that the decision was based on rent savings rather than those store's profits.

I will be interested to see what happens with both locations as they are massive buildings with huge sq footage to be filled.

Edited by ECCOnoob

People were saying online shopping would kill the high street. They were dismissed for being alarmists. I prefer to go into a shop and buy but I've found I'm going online more often usually to buy things I can't find in store. I think people have just got lazy if we don't change our habits then city and town centres will definitely become ghost towns. Out of town shopping centres will not be immune either.

People were saying online shopping would kill the high street. They were dismissed for being alarmists. I prefer to go into a shop and buy but I've found I'm going online more often usually to buy things I can't find in store. I think people have just got lazy if we don't change our habits then city and town centres will definitely become ghost towns. Out of town shopping centres will not be immune either.

This is interesting and I agree that out of town shopping isn't immune, it's just been sheltered so far. It's part of a much broader discussion.

You could argue that small city centres are more flexible and able to adapt by moving away from the traditional retail and offer more for the visitor. I think they've only started to realise this but look at how Birmingham has opened up its city centre canal walkways and introduced shops and restaurants. Leeds has its granary wharf. Sheffield finally realising the potential of the canal basin area now the IRR extension has stopped it from being cut off from the city by a dual carriageway. The next plan to de culvert the city centre rivers has a lot of merits

In Sheffield look at the move to bring cinemas back into cities (the Light) , new entertainment like the bowling alley, world-class theatre, pubs, clubs green spaces and riversides that you don't usually get at out of town shopping.

Sheffield may just have dodged a bullet in the 2007 crash if it now realises that to compete it has to offer more than the out of town malls do. It's just taking a long long time.

It was a shrewd move (whoever's plan it was) to concentrate on the Moor area and let business, arts, cafes and residential takeover Castlegate. Barclays moving into the old COOP is an example. Who would have thought 10 years ago that anyone would be interested in the Canon pub but its now under offer?

The new shopping centre at Rushden might be bucking that trend for out of town but it's in a great area of parkland and waterways by the Nene (reclaimed gravel pits) and is only a mile or so from the town centre anyway

https://www.rushdenlakes.com/

Another factor to consider . Young people are no longer buying cars or even learning to drive. A recent DOT report said that many young people had become

“accustomed to a lifestyle in which private car use is less central than it has been for previous generations”. The report added: “It is possible that the changes in young people’s travel behaviour described above are the first phase of a social change that will continue through successive generations.”

Services like Uber (or whatever comes next) and decent public transport fully integrated with your digital lifestyle will become the norm. Why own a car if you can use an app to call a taxi in minutes and it cost a few quid to get home. I think we can forget AI and the whole driverless car thing becoming normality, at least not in narrow city streets, for a good 20 years

Some out of town shopping centres do have good public transport links. Meadowhall has its tram but it's still heavily reliant on car drivers, As that report says people are giving up on car ownership. My kids 18, 22 show no interest in driving, or even learning to drive. My Dad at 83 has macular degeneration and may not be able to drive soon This will happen to many people as we have an aging population unable to drive themselves.For both these generations driving to out of town shopping isn't going to be an option.

Where cities like Sheffield are missing out is the early evening culture. The transition between work, shopping and evening out.

If you think its all rosey up the M1 a city metric article asks why Leeds, the financial centre of Yorkshire, is underperforming with low growth and bleeding its skilled undergraduates to London and Manchester

Cities growing rapidly in wealth outside of London are Bristol and Cardff with Manchester already on its steady rise. So look at what they are doing but dont just copy it.

This is interesting and I agree that out of town shopping isn't immune, it's just been sheltered so far. It's part of a much broader discussion.

You could argue that small city centres are more flexible and able to adapt by moving away from the traditional retail and offer more for the visitor. I think they've only started to realise this but look at how Birmingham has opened up its city centre canal walkways and introduced shops and restaurants. Leeds has its granary wharf. Sheffield finally realising the potential of the canal basin area now the IRR extension has stopped it from being cut off from the city by a dual carriageway. The next plan to de culvert the city centre rivers has a lot of merits

In Sheffield look at the move to bring cinemas back into cities (the Light) , new entertainment like the bowling alley, world-class theatre, pubs, clubs green spaces and riversides that you don't usually get at out of town shopping.

Sheffield may just have dodged a bullet in the 2007 crash if it now realises that to compete it has to offer more than the out of town malls do. It's just taking a long long time.

It was a shrewd move (whoever's plan it was) to concentrate on the Moor area and let business, arts, cafes and residential takeover Castlegate. Barclays moving into the old COOP is an example. Who would have thought 10 years ago that anyone would be interested in the Canon pub but its now under offer?

The new shopping centre at Rushden might be bucking that trend for out of town but it's in a great area of parkland and waterways by the Nene (reclaimed gravel pits) and is only a mile or so from the town centre anyway

https://www.rushdenlakes.com/

Another factor to consider . Young people are no longer buying cars or even learning to drive. A recent DOT report said that many young people had become

“accustomed to a lifestyle in which private car use is less central than it has been for previous generations”. The report added: “It is possible that the changes in young people’s travel behaviour described above are the first phase of a social change that will continue through successive generations.”

Services like Uber (or whatever comes next) and decent public transport fully integrated with your digital lifestyle will become the norm. Why own a car if you can use an app to call a taxi in minutes and it cost a few quid to get home. I think we can forget AI and the whole driverless car thing becoming normality, at least not in narrow city streets, for a good 20 years

Some out of town shopping centres do have good public transport links. Meadowhall has its tram but it's still heavily reliant on car drivers, As that report says people are giving up on car ownership. My kids 18, 22 show no interest in driving, or even learning to drive. My Dad at 83 has macular degeneration and may not be able to drive soon This will happen to many people as we have an aging population unable to drive themselves.For both these generations driving to out of town shopping isn't going to be an option.

Where cities like Sheffield are missing out is the early evening culture. The transition between work, shopping and evening out.

If you think its all rosey up the M1 a city metric article asks why Leeds, the financial centre of Yorkshire, is underperforming with low growth and bleeding its skilled undergraduates to London and Manchester

Cities growing rapidly in wealth outside of London are Bristol and Cardff with Manchester already on its steady rise. So look at what they are doing but dont just copy it.

I agree, town centres are moving more into entertainment (things you find less online) bars, cafes, restaurants, cinemas.

Most things i want to order online or that im interested in generally you cant find in real shops anyway.

As for driving, its prolly different for us, ok if youre in a town or city, but here my kids and their friends are needing to drive, buses are a nightmare and its so far away from say Middlesbrough its expensive to use taxis.

I will say that one big surprise was the closures of Oxford Street and Birmingham. Those were stores which I would have thought would be deemed their flagship and best traders (similar to the prestige and footfall that Kendals in Manchester has).

Me too. I know a few on that list in provincial towns which are dead. Stock and shop layout looks ancient and people just make the journey to other larger stores in a nearby larger city.

Birkenhead for example. Its not a nice town centre and, to be frank, caters for low end retail for people with not much money. Its M&S is to close and its not surprising HOF will go too.

Its not us that should change our habits, the shops should become more competitive, if they continue to charge silly prices then they are doomed.

It's part of the changing face of the High Street. Boarded up shop fronts.

Its not us that should change our habits, the shops should become more competitive, if they continue to charge silly prices then they are doomed.

I fully agree. John Lewis is a major culprit for taking the michael they will be on the chopping block soon, so will Marks and sparks.:suspect:

I fully agree. John Lewis is a major culprit for taking the michael they will be on the chopping block soon, so will Marks and sparks.:suspect:

apparently John Lewis is always mentioned on these articles for doing things right :thumbsup: