Wrongly priced items, should shop honour price?

There was an article in The Star some time ago where a woman working in a chemists shop refused to sell contraceptives to a woman she knew was not married.She said it was against her religion to do this.I thought she should have been sacked but apparently she was deemed to be within her rights.

No, medusa didn't word the post correctly.

You could refuse to serve a black person for any reason other than the fact they were black.

Except if it was because they were gay, or a woman, or disabled.

On the subject of supermarkets and pricing, I've come across something this very afternoon.

The Co-op Dronfield : display shelf full of Nescafe 300g jars : big SEL underneath showing £4.00.

Bought two along with other goods, left the store by a few feet before mentally recalculating the bill.

Checked the receipt : One Nescafe was priced at £4...the other £7.99.

Checked back with the cashier who initially was at a loss as to explain why, before one of her colleagues pointed out that only a few of the jars on display bore the tag "50% extra free" on the label.

Once sorted, no problem...picked up a different jar, and got a refund of £3.99.

The point is, if I'd done a large shop, would I have noticed?

I have always known shops to honour the price on the shelf. Granted sometimes the staff have had to ask their supervisors/managers but it always comes back to "put it through as the price on the shelf". It mostly comes down to it being a mistake of the shop and not the customer who is then put in a potentially embarrasing situation, so it's a gesture of good will more than anything.

Then you usually see a member of staff ripping the labels off asap. Funniest one I ever saw was buy 2 for the price of 3.

So they can only deny service at their own discretion with or without giving a reason if the person they want to deny service to, is a white heterosexual with no disabilities or religious beliefs.

Unless you wear a label it's unlikely that someone at a till can immediately tell your sexual preferences, identify disabilities or tell your religious inclinations by simply looking at you.

Not impossible of course, and some examples are easier to identify than others, but by no means all.

Unless you wear a label it's unlikely that someone at a till can immediately tell your sexual preferences, identify disabilities or tell your religious inclinations by simply looking at you.

Not impossible of course, and some examples are easier to identify than others, but by no means all.

I will have you know that my Gaydar is pretty damn good, speak for yourself!

No, they could refuse to do business with anybody, but if they agreed to do business with everybody else and only refused to sell a cake to one group then they are discriminating. They can refuse business but not discriminate, and they would be as guilty of discriminating if they refused to sell to people of a certain skin colour, or people with disabilities.

Here's a point for you ponder .

Surely the gay couple that wanted the cake and a scene so badly were in fact discriminating against the the religious views of the cake shop owners?

I picked

a top from Sainsburys , it was priced at £8. when I got to the checkout it came up as £1... the assistant just smiled and said " that's a bargain ", lol,, best buy of the day :):)

Edited by girlyblonde
i missed a letter out

Here's a point for you ponder .

Surely the gay couple that wanted the cake and a scene so badly were in fact discriminating against the the religious views of the cake shop owners?

In what way were they discriminating?

Except if it was because they were gay, or a woman, or disabled.

Exactly, which is what I don't understand about the cake case...

The bakers did not refuse to serve the gay couple because they were gay. They were not refused service (discriminated against) on the basis of their sexuality. The bakers simply did not want to bake that particular cake, for anyone.

I handed an item to the cashier, who told me that by mistake it had the wrong sticker price on it. She told me the real price and asked me if I still wanted the item. I said no.

If a shop assistant has put the wrong price on an item, shouldn't the cashier honour that price?

My local Co-Op have always honoured the price when they've put the wrong label on it. Even if it's the shelf label and the wrong product was on the wrong shelf. I've got several cheap bottles of wine from them!!

I've got several cheap bottles of wine from them, just by switching the labels around!!

Nice trick!....