John Burkhill - A Sheffield Legend

If the award was for charity then there is no question he would be deserving of it and I am not detracting from his efforts in any way, he's done a fantastic job. However, as the OP points out:

'Those eligible for the awards must either have been born in Sheffield or have a very strong association with the city and must have achieved recognition at national or preferably at international level.'

Then we should petition for a rule change too ! These are our streets, not the councillors.

All the names mentioned above are of course very well known beyond Sheffield boundaries.

But they all received their honour for doing something principally for themselves. John gets nothing from his efforts, other than the satisfaction of passing on the money he collects.

A true philanthropist.

Something i totally agree with, and have already mentioned. If john can't be included then the criteria should be looked at. I certainly have more respect for him than i have for Sean Bean. :help:

Anyone bothered to actually speak to John and see if he wants this recognition to begin with? Strikes me as quite a humble man and might find all this rather embarrassing.

John is a bit of a comedian ,speak to him,he knows some decent jokes.I would love for him to get some reward for his selfless effort,so I would vote yes.

Of the 5 names in the OP above I know two of them and Def Leppard are crap. The award isn't for being a household name. It would be for his work. I saw him the other day on Fargate and he's still going strong. I think they should give him a plaque and put a green wig on it.

You only know 2 of the 5 names? I think you need to educate yourself. Def Leppard may not be your taste but does that mean they're "crap"?

I do agree John Burkhill should receive recognition for his tireless work.

If the award was for charity then there is no question he would be deserving of it and I am not detracting from his efforts in any way, he's done a fantastic job. However, as the OP points out:

'Those eligible for the awards must either have been born in Sheffield or have a very strong association with the city and must have achieved recognition at national or preferably at international level.'

The list of stars is currently:

Gordon Banks - England's World Cup winning goalkeeper

Sean Bean - film and TV actor

Joe Cocker - singing legend

Sebastian Coe - Olympic medal winner and Chair of the London 2012 Organising Committee for the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games

Derek Dooley - one of Sheffield's most respected footballers

Dame Margaret Drabble - internationally respected novelist and critic.

Jessica Ennis - Olympic Champion, double Outdoor and Indoor World Champion athlete

Professor Barry Hancock OBE - world renown cancer expert

Brendan Ingle - world famous boxing manager and trainer

Def Leppard - top-selling rock band

David Mellor - internationally renowned cutlery designer

Michael Palin - famous film and television personality

Helen Sharman - first British astronaut

Joe Simpson - renowned mountaineer, author and motivational speaker

Joe Scarborough - one of Sheffield’s finest artists

Michael Vaughan - one of this country’s most successful cricket captains

Clinton Woods - world champion boxer

(https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/out--about/tourist-information/sheffield-legends.html)

As great as he is, he isn't a nationally recognised individual. One article in the Daily Mail doesn't cut it when comparing him to the other people that have a gold star.

In other words people with money?

You only know 2 of the 5 names? I think you need to educate yourself. Def Leppard may not be your taste but does that mean they're "crap"?

I do agree John Burkhill should receive recognition for his tireless work.

Def Leppard with their 100 million album sales won't mind being called crap....

Of the 5 names in the OP above I know two of them and Def Leppard are crap. The award isn't for being a household name. It would be for his work. I saw him the other day on Fargate and he's still going strong. I think they should give him a plaque and put a green wig on it.

In your opinion, nothing to do with the millions of records they have sold or stadiums they have sold out.

Not that I am a fan, I am not, neither am I a fan of Lady Gaga, but can't knock the record sales.

As for John Burkhill, while I agree with the sentiment of giving him legend status, he does not do his good work for personal publicity, and probably would not want money spending on a plaque, he would ask for that amount of money to be donated to a good cause.

In your opinion, nothing to do with the millions of records they have sold or stadiums they have sold out.

Not that I am a fan, I am not, neither am I a fan of Lady Gaga, but can't knock the record sales.

As for John Burkhill, while I agree with the sentiment of giving him legend status, he does not do his good work for personal publicity, and probably would not want money spending on a plaque, he would ask for that amount of money to be donated to a good cause.

Somebody mentioned the plaque to him G and he was apparently humbled and honoured by the suggestion. It would be coming from our council tax at the end of the day and I couldn't think of anything better for it to go towards.

Having researched this I saw that John's grandson had a petition on facebook to have a street named after John in Sheffield however he didn't really push it so it didn't really take off. For me it is all about the name "Sheffield Legends". For his hard work and achievements John is very much a Sheffield Legend. This for me shouldn't be about celebrity status.

Nearly 90% in favour. I can't say I am surprised really! The council really need to change the rules to allow a genuine local hero rightfully gain his place on Legend's walk!

Somebody mentioned the plaque to him G and he was apparently humbled and honoured by the suggestion. It would be coming from our council tax at the end of the day and I couldn't think of anything better for it to go towards.

Having researched this I saw that John's grandson had a petition on facebook to have a street named after John in Sheffield however he didn't really push it so it didn't really take off. For me it is all about the name "Sheffield Legends". For his hard work and achievements John is very much a Sheffield Legend. This for me shouldn't be about celebrity status.

Well, we do already have a John Street. And not sure if anyone would want to live on Burk Hill (although people live on Carsick Hill so...)

Seriously though, star or no star, he is a legend in Sheffield even if he can't have a plaque because Dai in Merthyr Tydfil doesn't know who he is

I'd never heard of Prof Barry Hancock and I suspect a lot of people haven't. We should celebrate our local heroes and erm how many of these celebs live in Sheffield these days and support the community the way John does? just sayin!

---------- Post added 27-07-2014 at 00:33 ----------

Where was Sebastian Coe when Don Valley was being pulled down? I rest my case

It's a yes from me - great idea!